Scheduled dVH/RALH Do you have to remove your nail polish? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you have to remove your nail polish? Do you have to remove your nail polish?

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Do you have to remove your nail polish?

I was talking with someone who mentioned that I likely will need to remove my nail polish just prior to surgery. I have acrylic overlays, currently with gel, and wonder if I will need to have it removed. I know in the past polish was removed prior to surgery to look for signs of oxygen deprivation but with current equipment I wonder if that is still common practice. I'll be due for a fill-in just before my surgery and thought it would make me feel good to have freshly manicured nails especially since I won't be getting around for awhile after surgery. I certainly don't want to spend money on a manicure if they will undo it prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Re: Do you have to remove your nail polish?

I think it depends on the hospital. I have my surgery date this Friday and at my pre-op visit at the hospital the nurse said I would have to have my gel nails removed prior to surgery
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Aww man, that is disheartening. Completely removed? That will be my biggest disappointment of all of this. Of course I want to improve my health. I just hope I don't have to lose my investment especially since this set isn't that old. Yikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM

I was told to remove the polish from my toe nails. I agree a pedi/Mani would make me feel better! But I will be a good patient and not have my toenails painted.
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM

I know how you feel - I was a mess going into the pre-op and the whole nail thing was the last straw. After a bit of a meltdown (feeling a little less womanly about the whole hysterectomy thing and now I can't have nice nails - come on!!!!)I had them taken off on the weekend and I'm going in tomorrow for a pedicure - minus the polish, how sad is that But I'm looking forward to going back for the works as soon I feel up to it.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:10 PM

I had my toe nails polished. But not my nails. So not sure what they allowe.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Do you have to remove your nail polish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracel View Post
I know how you feel - I was a mess going into the pre-op and the whole nail thing was the last straw. After a bit of a meltdown (feeling a little less womanly about the whole hysterectomy thing and now I can't have nice nails - come on!!!!)I had them taken off on the weekend and I'm going in tomorrow for a pedicure - minus the polish, how sad is that But I'm looking forward to going back for the works as soon I feel up to it.
Hi! I would get the polish with your pedicure. As long as your fingernails are natural you'll be fine.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

My toes were pretty and my finger nails were plain Janes. Nobody said anything to me before the surgery about removing the polish so I left It on.
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:19 AM

With me, they were only concerned about polish on my finger nails. I only had it on my toes and they said that was fine. LOL - I knew it was going to be a couple of weeks before I felt like getting to those toes!
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM

I was told to remove All nail polish, remove all jewelery, remove all makeup, shower the night before and morning of surgery with antibiotic soap..yep went into surgery very plane jane, lol, felt naked without my jewelery and makeup,,which my makeup only consists of a little facial powder and mascara, but still i felt naked, lol,,,a few weeks after the surgery tho i had beautiful strong long nails as i did absolutely nothing for sooooooooooo long that i was amazed to see my nails long and strong lol, so i painted them and that really felt good to do that as the physical job i have ime not able to grow my nails.. So that was a bonus to me lol. Ugh but my first day back at work i broke 3 nails and my other ones are now chipping off lol, so i know within a few more days of work i will not have nails again..Oh well it was nice while it lasted lol...Peace be with you all

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register