Scheduled dVH/RALH Just secduled da vinci hys. Did not seem real until now. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just secduled da vinci hys. Did not seem real until now. Just secduled da vinci hys. Did not seem real until now.

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Just secduled da vinci hys. Did not seem real until now.

I just got my hysterectomy secduled for the 24 of april. I am 36 it did not seem real even though it was a possiability for a month. Until now I did not feel upset or scared. I am having a complete hys. I dont think it felt real until now. I have not got any kids and was told it was good that I never did due to having a muscle disorder and now it feels so, well i am not sure . Scarey I guess, upset. I have had surgery before and it never made me feel this way. Now what, I am not even sure what to expect here. Help please..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Re: Just secduled da vinci hys. Did not seem real until now.

Oh, dinopoodle,
I am so sorry that you have to have a hysterectomy.
Why do you have to have one?
Yes, I was scared too, but my healing made me feel better day by day.
Do you have any questions?
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:10 PM

I have sever endometreosis, and bleediing. I filling one super extra long pad an hour. I dont know what to expect, what is going to happen? How bad is the recovery, and most of all how do I handle knowing I can never have a child. I never let many know I wanted kids due to having a muscle disord3er but have always wanted childern. Now I feel like I am a trader or something . How do I handle all of this? But what will happen day of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Dinopoodle,

So sorry you are having to go through this. I can't really address your questions about not having children, but I can say that the fear of the unknown before the surgery was far worse than actually having the surgery. I am about a week out. I'm certainly not ready to do much, but I am managing the pain and I am glad the surgery is over. I am looking to the future and knowing brighter days will be here. Praying that you will find some peace and that your fears will lesson. Blessings & Hugs,
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM

dinopoodle, So sorry you are going through this. I had my DvH on February 17th, and I can tell you that the waiting was the hardest part of the whole thing. Afterwards you can just concentrate on healing. My recovery has gone really well. The biggest problem has been insomnia and fatigue. You will be so happy to be done with your endometreosis and bleeding.

I can't address the issue of children with you, and I don't know your situation, but there are more ways to have children than genetically. Don't know if that would be an option for you. Keep coming here for support. We are here for you and truly understand.

I wish you well and hope for you to have a really successful surgery and easy recovery.

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM

I have several questions, will they put in a cath?? how long did you all stay in the hospital? How was the trip home will they give pain meds for that?
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

I had the da vinci surgery on March 29th and it went really well. I'm not much older than you and also have no kids. I did not have endometreosis so I can't say anything about that, but for me the recovery has been easy. Went to the hospital the morning of, they did use a catheter but it was in and out while I was under, I did not wake with it. I was in recovery at 2:30 and I was home in my own bed by 6pm that night.

I took only two weeks off from work, this is my first full week back and I might be a little tired, but nothing too bad. I had little pain after surgery and was able to get by on just advil although I did have a script for other pain killers.

Your experience will be different but if you're like me, the worrying up to the day of was the worst part, now that it's in the past I can heal and move on.
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM

I had the robotic surgery. I was in one day and out the next and was glad I stayed overnight. I'm older than you, and I think recovery is harder. They put in a catheter while I was in surgery and I woke with it--but didn't mind it at all. It wasn't uncomfortable. They took it out early the next morning--which was really easy! No discomfort there either. They send you home with scripts for pain meds. And ask them to give you something just before you go home. That way it is on board before you travel. We went over one bumpy stretch which was a bit interesting, but the rest was just fine. I am glad I'm home. Moving slow, but healing!

Just take the time to pamper yourself. And be willing to accept ALL help that is offered. You'll do fine!
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Read the post of recovery threads. That's the best way to find out what your in for. Everybody is different and has a different recovery story. I read as many as I could before my surgery . That way you can hope for the best and easiest recovery, but are also prepared for the worst and not surprised with things that pop up during your own recovery. Best of luck to you! I am 2 weeks post op DaVinci and have had a difficult recovery to say the least!
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM

I also had the daVinci one week ago today. I had them put the catheter back in as soon as I woke up because I couldn't pee. I went into surgery at 8:30 am and was out of recovery by 12:30pm. I was able to eat regular food for supper seeing I was holding down crackers and liquids. Later that night I walked a little bit in the hall and when returning to my room had a tiny bit of vaginal bleeding. That is basically the only bleeding that I have had the past week. They took the catheter out right away the next morning and I rested after having breakfast. Late morning I took a shower and then had lunch and came home. They will send you home with pain medication. Other than that you are just supposed to lay around and rest. The only real problems that I have had are constipation ( you 'll want to start taking a stool softener right away), after 4 days of not going I called my Dr.and he said to use an enema. It wasn't my proudest moment......but it really got things moving! The other thing is insomnia. Hopefully you won't have it but it seems to be one of the common problems that ladies are dealing with on here. There are also many things that you can try for that as well.
Try and relax as much as possible, it will be the best thing that you can do for your recovery.
Sending hugs your way,
Jennifer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register