Scheduled for April 27th and nervous. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for April 27th and nervous. Scheduled for April 27th and nervous.

Unread 04-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Scheduled for April 27th and nervous.

I am 29 and have been having issues with a large complex ovarian cyst (8cm) for a little over three months that I know of. Not sure how long I had it before the pain started.

I have been to the ER one to two times per month since they first found it on ultrasound. I have seen a few different GYN's and the GYN Oncologist three times for monitoring and follow up.

Before January 2012, I had been having heavy menstrual cycle and clotting on the first two days of menstruation for about 4 years. Since the birth of my youngest child. And this month menstruating twice in a three week span.

So on April 12th, I went to my Dr’s appointment and was told that I needed a hysterectomy. I am scheduled 4/27/2012 at 11:30 am, for a total hysterectomy and removal of left ovary and fallopian tube. They say they will leave my right ovary in tact, and they will do what it takes to make that happen. On ultrasound the right ovary seems healthy, so I should get to keep it no problem. It is suspected that I have Endometriosis and that my left ovarian mass is an Endometrioma (not suspected to be malignant ). They will still be sending a frozen section off during surgery to screen for malignancy.

I was also informed that I will most likely have a midline incision due to the scarring from my previous, three C-Sections.

On April 26th I am on a clear liquid diet and have to drink a bottle of Magnesium citrate. Then no food after midnight.

I am nervous and scared.
But I feel better than I did the first few days after I found out. This site has helped me a lot. Especially when I went for my Pre-Op appointment today. I had all my questions ready, and thanks to the hystersisters, I had more questions that I wouldn't have thought to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Re: Scheduled for April 27th and nervous.

Hi there - I just wanted to say you're not alone in feeling scared. I think most of us are terrified because this isn't something we choose to have done for any other reason than medical. It's not like at the end of a c section, you've got a child in your arms. This is because you're not well. You also have time to think about it - which doesn't help. First, remember that you're unwell, so already feeling low. Focus on getting things done before the op. If your children are old enough and you've told them about it, work out little jobs that they are responsible for, like making sure the sugar bowl is full, or the coffee jar is full - keep them involved. I did take care of other things when I was having dark moments, and actually writing letters and organising things took a great deal of weight off my shoulders. Just knowing how many of us there are in post op shows we come out the other side. I'm sure you'll have many pain free years - you will be able to play with your children, no matter what time of the month it is. I have a dear friend here in the UK who is having her op on 27 April too - my thoughts will be with you both and all the other ladies going through this. Be strong huney - much love. xxx
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:11 AM

Hi eavellra, I'm glad you have found this site to be helpful I sure did. I had my hyster a month ago today and it was done by a midline incision due to the very large size of my uterus ( approx. soccer ball size) and a very large fibroid that my husband and I named Gertrude :-P Hey we needed to try and keep a sense of humor about it. I was nervous and scared as is everybody because this is a BIG deal. I got through the pre op part by keeping busy (cleaning and organizing for after) and lots of prayer. By the day of my surgery I had so many people praying for me and my doctor that I could feel it and was rather calm especially for me! I will be honest with you it did hurt a lot when I woke up but they managed my pain rather well. You will find many useful lists of what to take to the hospital, I went with my pillow pet, tablet/reader, i-pod touch, phone and chargers as well as toiletries (tooth paste and brush, comb, chapstick, etc.) a change of undies and night gown, a robe and my favorite stuffed animal. The only things I used were my robe, chapstick, stuffed animal, pillow pet and phone so it is best to pack light. I was provided with everything I would need at the hospital. I am sure you will do just fine when you go to the castle. Sorry if I am rambling but it is only 3:07 in the morning here and I have a case of insomnia, another fun side effect :-/ Best wishes and I will be praying for you.
Prayers and Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 03:45 AM

UKKerrie & eavellra

"you are unwell"

I agree. My cysts are not as big as eavellra's, but I reminded myself they are effecting my health and I need to do something.

eavellra

I go to the castle the 28th, I will hope for the best for you--only nice nurses, good drugs and smart doctors with great bedside manners!
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:31 AM

Eavellra

I have my surgery the same day as you at 10:15. I am having mine due to a lot of big fibroids.
I am super busy at work trying to get all my work done for next month so it is not left for my co workers. I don't mind since being so busy somewhat keeps my mind off my surgery!
Wishing both of us along with all the other ladies a quick and uneventful recovery.
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Eavellra, Stacey & Pinkbud:

I am also the 27th vi Davinchi at 130 pm. Trying to stay busy as well. Was supposed to be on vacation this week and it was cancelled, I had gotten most of my work at home and work done thinking I would not have time when I got home from vacation so now.. I am 'redoing' it lol. I was not blessed with any children and am single so I want to make sure I have all my 'ducks' in a row Best wishes to all
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:01 PM

UKKerrie:

Thank you for the advice. I have been talking with them about being extra helpful when I come home and for a few weeks. Doing things like taking their laundry baskets out and taking out the small trash cans. They are all happy to help. My oldest is twelve and the youngest is five as of May 4th. I told her I will be sore for her birthday, but that her Daddy's sisters are coming to help for her party! She was happy that her party was still going to be like we planed before I knew about the surgery.

I have been working on getting things done around the house and getting some stuff done in advance. It has been helpful for relieving my stress.

My thoughts are with your friend and the other ladies as well.

Thank you.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Videogamer:

Thank you for sharing some of your story. It is comforting. I have been making a list of things to bring with me. I asked my Dr. about the belly support band. He said he believes the hospital still provides them if I ask. I usually bring my own pillow for my C-section births, so I can support my tummy while walking and riding in the car home. But this time I was thinking it would be better to have use of my hands. Although I may still use the pillow as well.

Chap stick is a great idea! For my first C-Section, it was an emergency, so I was under general anesthesia. When I woke, my lips were dry for the first day. I wished I had chap stick then. Your mention of it in your post reminded me, I wouldn't have thought of it. I am going to add that to my list.

Thank you.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM

pinkbud:

I hope the best for you as well. With only nice nurses, good drugs and smart doctors with great bedside manners! That would be wonderful.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Stacie1965:

Thank you.

I wish both of us and others a smooth procedure and an uneventful, quick, recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register