Scared, tired, & TAH scheduled 1/23/02 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared, tired, & TAH scheduled 1/23/02 Scared, tired, & TAH scheduled 1/23/02

Unread 01-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Scared, tired, & TAH scheduled 1/23/02

Hi. I found this site a couple days ago and it's awesome! I'd been telling my Dr for two years now that my periods were "out of control" and he told me that it's just part of getting older. He did switch my "pills" several times, finally ending up with the strongest ones available, but it didn't help. After passing out cold on my kitchen floor in October and being diagnosed as severely anemic (declined the transfusion), he finally listened! I did get a second opinion. Both Dr's concurred that TAH was the only option even though I really wanted vaginal. Anyway, I tend to ramble, it's scheduled for the 23rd and I'm scared, I'm tired, and I have a thousand questions!

I've only been in a hospital to deliver two children and have a d&c after a miscarriage (that was day surgery). So this is all foreign to me!

What should I pack for the hospital? Can you bring your own PJ's, or are you stuck with that breezy gown?

What's with the "tummy pillow"? What do you do with it? OK, the seat belt thing I understand!, but what else.

I'm supposed to be at hospital at 7:30 am....should I do the full makeup thing?....I don't check the mail without a face!

My mom told me not to wear nail polish? True or False?

Is a bikini cut really in the bikini line or will the scar show with a normal two-piece bathing suit.

How long does the poochy belly thing last?

Will my tummy be flat without the "baggage"?

About the "risk of transfusion" issue...did anyone have friends or family members donate blood or do you feel it's just as safe to take blood from the blood bank if needed?

Sorry to ramble so long, but I tend to do that when I'm nervous!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Hello Wayscared!!

well I can't asnwer to many things by experience. But so far I have read and picked up somethings.

The pillow~ so you dont tear internal stitches when coughing, laughing, or such. You hold it over yourself with some pressure to help support your tummy.

Jammies~ not to sure but so far everyone concures on nothing too long. Cause it wraps around you legs.

um the other stuff Im sure some one will come along and offer more advice..and there are lists on the main page under Ladies In waiting (pull down menu in the middle of the page) It has been most enlightening and helpfull..

Best of luck and you're not alone!!!
Unread 01-10-2002, 11:22 PM

Boy, do you sound familiar. I had a TAH, so I'll take a quick shot at some of your questions. Read my "hystory", too (instructions below), 'cause I covered a bunch of stuff. (Sorry to be brief, I'm supposed to be cleaning the kitchen and getting to bed...)

"What should I pack for the hospital? Can you bring your own PJ's, or are you stuck with that breezy gown? "
I brought loose-fitting, drawstring-bottom PJs, cotton, cheerful print, soft and warm. Perfect for cruising the halls. Modest enough I could sit in any position (cross-legged) in bed without flashing guests. Get slippers you can slip into without reaching down to "help" with your hands, too.

"What's with the "tummy pillow"? What do you do with it? OK, the seat belt thing I understand!, but what else. "
It's for putting pressure on your belly when you exert yourself - kinda like letting your hands and the pillow take over for your abs for a while. Handy for coughing, laughing, getting up, walking... Definitely get one. I recommend the "Bucky" travel pillow - it's like a lightweight bean bag.

"I'm supposed to be at hospital at 7:30 am....should I do the full makeup thing?....I don't check the mail without a face! "
Makeup? What's that? OK, you can guess what answer I'll give you. Don't wear any. (They may tell you not to wear any deodorant, either.) Think of it this way, from the time you go in, to the time you remember to care what you look like, it'll be at least a day, maybe two. There will have been masks on your face, tubes delivering oxygen to your nose, maybe tape keeping your eyes closed, maybe tears... I can almost guarantee you will look better without it. If you have long hair, braid it, so it doesn't turn into a big knot.

"My mom told me not to wear nail polish? True or False? "
Mom knows best. I think I've heard of sisters who were allowed to get away with taking the polish off just one nail. The oxygen saturation monitor thingy is like a gentle clothespin that clips on your finger, and measures the level of oxygen in your blood by shining light through your fingertip, so it needs to be able to "see". Also, the doctors can see from the color of your nailbeds if you are doing well, oxygen-wise.

"Is a bikini cut really in the bikini line or will the scar show with a normal two-piece bathing suit."
I was surprised at how low my bikini cut is! It's really, really low. Any lower and they would have cut through bone. I don't know if they are all like that. I can't imagine a bikini that would show my scar. Even if they are out there, there are plenty more that go *way* above it. Cute ones, too, not just the dorky ones. Not that I can really pull off a bikini anyway...

"How long does the poochy belly thing last? "
It depends. Most women seem to find the poochiness increases in the afternoons, or after doing too much. Take things easy, and I think it will settle down sooner.

"Will my tummy be flat without the "baggage"?"
Oddly, probably not. At least not at first, because of the swelling. Do you know the size of your "baggage"? If you have a soccer ball sized fibroid, then yeah, you might see a difference right away. I had little fibroids on a little uterus, so I didn't see any difference at all.

"About the "risk of transfusion" issue...did anyone have friends or family members donate blood or do you feel it's just as safe to take blood from the blood bank if needed?"
I didn't consider others donating for me, but I did ask about donating for myself ahead of time. What my doctor said was: 1) It's unlikely you'll need blood, 2) If you do need blood, you'll probably need more than a pint or two, and 3) You're better off keeping it inside you and being as healthy and strong as you can be.

I hope that helps! Keep asking questions.

(Oh... I guess that wasn't really "brief" after all... Back to the kitchen now...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 03:33 AM

WayScared:

I just got back from the hospital last night. I had a TAH on Tuesday.

Pajamas - I had to wear the hospital gowns, they constantly check your incision. Wear one tied in the front the other in the back. I brought a bathrobe.

Make-up - If you want to look nice going in. I arrived at 7:30 and saw no one but the doctors. I was put under general by 8:45 went to recovery, don't remember much there then to my room with morphine, in and out all night, so anymake up you wear that day probably won't come off until the next, unless you ask someone to wash your face.

Bikini cut - No way will it show with a normal 2 piece. It's pretty low.

Nail Polish - The pulse ox doesn't work as well with nail polish on, my hospital used my finger anyway and I even have an acrylic overlay on my nail.

Flat Tummy - I believe that takes exercise and more exercise. I'm pretty thin, but never lost the lower pooch after my c-section 12 years ago. I'm also too lazy to do situps.

Blood - I was a little worried about this too. There is a joke in the medical profession that redheads tend to be bleeders. My doctor even told me after the procedure that he was a little worried too. He said I hardly bleed at all. This one is up to you. There are woman who do donate before hand.

I hope some of this helps.

Good luck to you.
Unread 01-11-2002, 06:09 AM

Hi there. I had my pre-op appointment last week.

My strick instructions were to shower and wash hair the morning of or evening before surgery. NO jewellery, no nailpolish ANYWHERE, no makeup and to bring my own panties and a box of pads (UGGGGG). I am going to bring my own pjs but its not critical if I don't get to wear them.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-11-2002, 07:01 AM

[quote]Originally posted by HorseWoman
[b] If you have long hair, braid it, so it doesn't turn into a big knot.

I'll take this a step further. If you have REALLY long hair (waist-length or longer) instead of braiding it with just a band on the end, put it in a pony tail at the nape of your neck first and then braid it. Also, make the braid as tight as you can. If for some reason you can't do a tight braid on yourself, get someone else to do it for you.

I have knee-length hair and I usually have it braided in a long tail that hangs down my back. I ordinarily just braid from the top down. When I had my first child and did this, I woke up with a major rat's nest. YUCK and quite painful to get rid of. The second time around, I washed my hair and braided it as described above and ended up with no tangles at all, even though I was too weak from complications to brush my hair for a day or so.

It's been almost 22 years since then, but when I had the lap and all the other stuff in December, I remembered this so I did the two-rubber band braid again. I was too pukey from anesthesia to do anything about brushing my hair for a couple of days, but when I took it down I had no tangles again. Piece of cake.

Also, WASH your hair the night before. It'll probably be at least a week before you're up to washing your hair again.

Maybe this'll help someone, I well remember not being able to rest well till I got those nasty tangles off the back of my head.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register