sticker shock | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sticker shock sticker shock

Unread 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM
sticker shock

Thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Vivelle patch was around $40/month. So when the pharmacy told me $109, I was shocked. Yes, for one month.
Vivelle dot .0375. Thank goodness I had downloaded the coupon for one free month!! Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: sticker shock

A couple of years ago my gyn wanted me to try the Climara patch. So when I took it to the drug store to fill I never thought to ask the price but was shocked when the price was almost $400. for a two month supply. Needles to say I did not get it and had my dr. give me something else that was alot cheaper.

The prices of these patches are crazy. If the drug companies want us women to use them they really should make them at a more reasonable price. Especially for women who don't have drug plans.
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Do you have insurance? If so, I would call them and ask about alternatives. I know many insurance companies now have tiered plans, the Vivelle Dot falls in the 3rd tier with alot of plans. If you don't have insurance call around to other pharmacies to get their pricing. It can vary. The $40 per month you read was probably a copay from that person's insurance plan.

Generic Estrace is available, without insurance, at most pharmacies thru their low cost plans, for about $4 per month. Something to consider.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Yes Marcatbak, I agree. I guess I'll use it for the first month but I'm just not sure it could be worth the high price when there is such a less expensive generic pill form.
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Yes, Kim, I do have insurance and will call them first thing on Monday because I'm not really sure about my prescription benefits. Haven't needed to know until now.
My doctor told me he would prescribe whatever I wanted (which wasn't really helpful), so I can always change to something else. The patch might not be a good fit for me anyway. I'll keep an open mind in the jungle!! Hopefully a nice, cool, non-sweating mind. Thanks, laura
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura13 View Post
I'll keep an open mind in the jungle!! Hopefully a nice, cool, non-sweating mind.
Great attitude! There is a generic patch, but I have not heard good things about it. Have heard it is big and bulky.
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM

When I had persription drug plan the I paid $40 a month. Now that I have no persription drug coverage I pay $77 a month now. It just went up this month.
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM

My doctor originally prescribed Climara (brand) and it cost me $90 a month. The generic form was around $10. My insurance will cover the Vivelle Dot, so I switched to that. It runs me $24 a month. I couldn't tell any difference between the three in terms of effectiveness. They all work well for me. I like the Vivelle Dot the best because it's so small. The Climara patch seemed to irritate my skin and the generic patch was huge and ugly. I would find out which your insurance will cover and give that a try. Every insurance company is different.
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks so much Ladies...I plan on spending tomorrow morning on the phone...also found a couple of US mail-order places which brought the price down from $109 to $64. Going to CVS today to find out their price too. Never thought I'd be spending a Sunday comparision price shopping for Estrogen!!
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM

I am allergic to adhesives, so my doc prescribed me 1 mg of estrodiol a day. One little blue pill each morning and i am good to go! Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register