Scheduled TAH Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

Hello,

I am due my full hysterectomy on 30th April and I'm really nervous. I haven't slept properly in weeks.

I know it needs to be done, but the amount of times I have wanted to cancel it in the last week is shocking - my husband must be fed up with me coming up with all kinds of reasons why I should cancel it. I just want this to be over now.

Can I just ask, will my tummy be swollen afterwards? Will I need to wear loose fitting pants (I pretty much live in Jeans!!) ? Also, any tips of easily digestable food to eat the night before so I don't feel bloated/sick the morning of the op, as I know I will be incredibly nervous.

Tammy xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Re: Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

Stay away from any fried foods... no McDonalds or fried chicken before hand. Eat lots of protein. Have easy easy on the tummy foods for afterwards. I lived on canned pears and apple sauce.
Yes, almost everyone ends up with swell belly. I could not wear most pants until a month later and some of them, I am just getting back into (6 months post). I am a jeans wearer too but I lived in stretch pants in the beginning because the pressure from the jeans made my insides feel achy...
I hope this helps...
Good Luck
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM

First off good luck with your surgery.
I found that going to work everyday kept my mind off going for surgery. But had lots of thoughts of was I doing the right thing or not.
When I was at home I did the deep cleaning that I would not be able to do once the surgery was done.
So keeping busy helps keep your mind off things. I found reading articles on this site also helped.
I am 8 days after surgery and have lived in pj's, had to go out to get staples removed and wore jogging pants. Stomach was not extremely swollen but sore. I have been lucky enough not to need the incision covered so the soft clothing does not irritate and the air helps it heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't realised about 'swelly belly' until I found this site. I'd have probably left hospital still trying to fit into my jeans

Thanks for the advice over food, although I imagine I will be too nervous to actually eat the night before.

Tammy xx
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Hi. I went through similar doubts as you, which was ridiculous since I had no choice anyway and you wouldn't be at the point you are now unless it was necessary. Just keep busy until then, and know that you are strong and will be fine. I'm 3 weeks post op. If you have any questions let me know. Sending a little hug your way. Irene
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Warning about pants...Even my largest baggiest sweat pants and pajama bottoms were too tight the first 2 weeks. ( painfully tight, not just uncomfortable) We're talking looking 8 months pregnant at times, and it was tight , sore and firm, not squishy The past three days swelly belly is still there ( more so as evening rolls on) but my sweats and jammies aren't so awfully tight anymore. Jeans I have not even considered yet. Stock up on big waisted stretchy pants now.

Unread 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to invest in big stretchy pants this week.

I'm so glad I found this site as it has given me so much information. I had no clue what to expect before I found it.

Tammy x
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM

I have said a prayer for you. I just purchased some sweat pants for the occasion. :0) enjoy wearing the soft clothes for a while.

Cherie
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM

You are not alone in your fears and doubts. I wanted to cancel my surgery many times too. Several times I looked at my DH pleadingly and asked if I really had to do it. His simple response: "Are your issues resolved?" And there was my answer. Keep busy and lean on us for support. You may find that most people really can't understand what this feels like.

Regarding swelly belly, I unfortunately had it very bad. I looked 7 months pregnant post op. My tummy was so painful and swollen up to my bra band. I couldn't tolerate any kind of waistband. I am 9 months post and although the belly is better it is still a full 2 inches bigger by mid afternoon and I can't wear my jeans yet. I have gone from thinking its cute, to crying about it, being angry, to being quietly resentful. I suppose next is acceptance? I asked my doc pre op if the swelly could last as long as three months and she said certainly not.

I wish you well with your surgery. This is not an easy road we're on, but remember we're women and we can do this.
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:34 PM

Just a small note to let you know that what you are feeling at the moment is only normal and we all experienced it to. Nervousness and lack of appetite is also normal but try to eat as much as you can now because when you get out from the hospital you won't be eating too much. Your belly will be swollen and that will last for awhile. I always wear jeans, but I didn't start wearing them until my 8 th week. For me the 8th week was magical.... I started to feel myself, no pain , eating normally and wearing my jeans again!
Good Luck and remember we are hear for you with any concerns or questions you might need.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register