Scheduled TAH Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyj77 View Post
Hello,

I am due my full hysterectomy on 30th April and I'm really nervous. I haven't slept properly in weeks.

I know it needs to be done, but the amount of times I have wanted to canceln the last week is shocking - my husband must be fed up with me coming up with all kinds of reasons why I should cancel it. I just want this to be over now.

Can I just ask, will my tummy be swollen afterwards? Will I need to wear loose fitting pants (I pretty much live in Jeans!!) ? Also, any tips of easily digestable food to eat the night before so I don't feel bloated/sick the morning of the op, as I know I will be incredibly nervous.

Tammy xx
Hi Tammy, Don't be nervous. I had mine done 9 days ago. I had everything taken ovaries cervix everything, I'm doing great. The worst part after is the constipation so take the stool softeners alon with miralax and you'll be golden. I also had a bladder lift at the same time (after 4 kids it was time) also I'm not good with pain but it wasnt as bad as you think. You go to sleep, you wake up its over. Just rest like they tell you and your going to be great. I'm thrilled i will never have a period again. I cant take HRT due to cancer in my past, its not that bit of a deal. So you have a hot flash every so often. Your going to do great and be so happy you did it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Re: Due my op on 30th April and I'm very nervous

I personally did horrible on morphine though nearly scratched my skin off, good news is they have all kinds of other pain killers out there that work great!
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:05 AM

How many sizes larger did you go with the stretch pants?

I bought two roomy casual dresses for cheap hoping that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate it. I just need support at the moment, and it's nice to know I can come here to talk.

it makes it easier to know what to expect as my pre-op nurse didn't tell me too much.
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM

I put off my surgery for about 2 1/2 years, just kept saying I didn't have time to take off of work. During that time, I just kept getting progressively worse. Then I started losing time from work monthly because of all of the issues.
I finally had my surgery last month. It has been wonderful ever since. I won't lie the first week or so was rough, but it does get better everyday.
I was lucky, I got back into my jeans about week 2, I should say I got them buttoned, I didn't start wearing them until about week 4.
I bought sweat pants a size too big, I had to roll the waistband over when I went into the hospital. They fit on the way out without being rolled over.
I agree, keep up on your stool softners after, it will help. Ice was my friend. I couldn't feel the cold on my belly and it helped with my swelling. Some find heat helps them better, it is just a matter of preference.
Good Luck to you!
Kim
ps... thats my birthday, so it will be a great day. I will keep you in my thoughts for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyj77 View Post
Hello,

I am due my full hysterectomy on 30th April and I'm really nervous. I haven't slept properly in weeks.

I know it needs to be done, but the amount of times I have wanted to cancel it in the last week is shocking - my husband must be fed up with me coming up with all kinds of reasons why I should cancel it. I just want this to be over now.

Can I just ask, will my tummy be swollen afterwards? Will I need to wear loose fitting pants (I pretty much live in Jeans!!) ? Also, any tips of easily digestable food to eat the night before so I don't feel bloated/sick the morning of the op, as I know I will be incredibly nervous.

Tammy xx
I had my tah on April10th 2012. I was a wreck never had surgery before read a lot on here and sometimes became more nervous. I decided to read the positive stories and it helped. I prepared my house and had food ideas ready which I read from pre-op preparing. I also read a tip from a hyster sister she said drink a lot of water try to drink 3 liters day before eat light soup,salad light chicken things like that. I did. My surgery could'nt have went better. I have a swollen belly which is normal due to surgery I notice a difference already as it goes down. I eat sm amounts daily to keep stomach from bloating and BM normal. Applesauce,sherbet,whole wheat eggs,toast peanut butter, rice pasta chicken OcassionallyOcassiona red meat avoid spicy foods pork sausage etc for a while. I am so thankful I had this done even with swelling I feel better than before lost weight already. I like jeans too but I went and bought body shirt type dresses sun dresses, casual type they feel great not against stomach and stomach is healing fast. I also wear spandex with shirt blouses. Anyways be positive try to rest and get your mind off of it once you have everything ready to go, it goes so fast your not going to believe it fortunately I've had no bleeding for 12 days now but I'm taking advice. Moving carefully post op advice section. Hope this helps
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Tammy also wanted to tell you I got to keep both ovaries. A lot of comments you read may differ depending on previous surgerys people may have, health issues, size everyone is different. It helped me to learn that so I wasn't comparing with someone who had different factors into the surgery. Also I could fit my jeans now but wouldn't want to rub on incision. It like a little shelf where it's swollen from trauma due to surgery, all my aunts were fortunate and said eventually it goes down.
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Tammy we have surgery on the same day so you are not alone. I have reconsidered a thousand times and that was just this morning! I have a wonderful husband and three wonderful children.
Enjoy this week cleaning and shopping for "swelly belly" clothes. We will be fine.
Kris
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Hi. Thanks for all the tips. I am going to take some time this week to plan menus for the next couple of weeks or so, so my hubby will just need to follow my lists.

I can't wait for this week to be over, I am in loads of pain today. It just proves to me that I have to have this done.

Tammy x
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:58 AM

PLEASE do not cancel your surgery. COming from someone who DID and waited 3 months before I even got back into the dr for a SECOND opinion...it is awful what I had to go through...if i'd have just stuck with hte surgery I wouldn't be in the shape i'm in now....*(awaiting BSO in 4 days)
As far as foods and clothes I did the clear liquid diet for a couple days after..I remember leaving the hispital and still hadn't had an actual full blown MEAL cause I was too nauseated. However, I drank PLENTY of sprite!! LOL. As far as clothes you will have the swelly belly....I couldn't even wear my MATERNITY I'd worn with a twin pregnancy) IF that tells you anytihng lol. Wear HUGE comfy sweats. I had some that tied that worked wonders. I also wore hubby's t shirts as mine were too small. (not saying i'm small just saying my belly was HUGE.) I left looking preggers. HAHA. GOOD LUCK!!!! You'll be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register