Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Help

I just found this website and I think it's great. I ordered the books last week and am frantically trying to read everything but don't have a lot of time so am hoping for some input. I am scheduled for a TAH on Feb. 11th and have decided to leave the left ovary if not diseased but decision will be up to my doctor after he gets in there. Consultation on the 17th. Have had severe problems since I was 16, lap at 21, another lap at 29. Severe vomiting, bleeding, pain etc. until last lap then went through IVF, severe reaction, hospitalized - OOOH. Adopted 3 babies (long story) in 2000. Had stage 3 or 4 endo with 1st lap and stage 2 with last one also have cysts. Pain is pretty much isolated to the right side and is still present even on BCP but I've lived with it for so long (now almost 33), I've just gotten used to it. Got a 2nd opinion from Repo. endo. and he SCARED ME TO DEATH. Said it was the worst decision I could ever make, but now, along with the pain, I've noticed that 1 week out of the month, I am an absolute monster and I mean monster and I think my kids deserve a better mom and frankly, I don't have the time or patience for this anymore. My twins just turned 3 and the baby will turn 2 a few days before surgery. My husband can't drive and is visually impaired. I've asked everyone I know about the ovary thing and it seems if you left them, you're grateful and if you took them you're grateful. Am curious what people with endo and cysts say. My hormones have always been all over the board and I worry that that wouldn't change if they take it all, yet I don't want to take any risks (no "female" cancer family history but others) but spent 4 years on fertility drugs. The pain is much better than when I was younger and don't have heavy bleeding anymore but with 1 doc saying definitely a TAH and the other 1 saying NO NO NO, I'm so confused. My mom said she'd come stay with us for 3 weeks but I'm all stressed about how my hubby can handle the kids and not driving and yet deep down I know there's a snowball's chance of every having biological child and it won't get better with age so maybe having it now when it isn't a necessity would help with recovery. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Help

Hi Charms:

Can't offer you much advice I am new to this whole thing surgery date not until Jan21. But I like you have severe endo. On reccomendation from my Dr. The overies are coming out, now remember this is just my Dr.'s opinion and many Dr.'s have many different opinion's he says if you keep the overies then you always run the risk of more endometriosis. So with that being said I have opted to have everything removed. Like you I am interested in what sisters who have been through this already have to say.

Stay in the game and be tough for you

K8
Unread 01-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Help

Charms,

I am just like you - our histories are very close, however mine started at 13 with a fibroid tumor on my right ovary the size of a grapefruit. They took my right ovary and part of my left ovary and some of my other organs. I've had 3 lap's, 4 d & c's 2 c-sections (after 7 years of fertility treatments and 4 miscarriages. I know how you feel.

I discussed with my DR. and got a 2nd opinion, Both dr's agreed with my severe endo (stage 4) and cysts and fibroids that what's left should all be removed. He said that if I kept my left ovary I would probably be in in a year to have it removed.

After my son was born (he's turning 4 on 1-12 and I have a 10 year old as well) my periods would last at least 3 weeks and be excruciating. I've taken every hormone and just finished taking depro provera shots to try and help the bleeding. In November, I had another cyst rupture and got an infection. I had to go to the ER twice.

I know you are worried about your husband and kids. It's automatic, but they will be fine. From what everyone's told me and what I've read hear, we will both feel so much better when this is done.

My surgery is 1-15. I'm a little nervous, but I've had 17 surgeries all together so this shouldn't be any worse.

Take care and follow your heart.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register