keep cervex or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keep cervex or not keep cervex or not

Unread 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
keep cervex or not

Im scheduled for May 15th. Not sure whether to keep the cervex, which is normal, or remove to ensure no more bleeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Re: keep cervex or not

I am going into surgery this wednesday. I am keeping my cervix. I decided that a light bleeding monthly is not an issue (it is more like spotting, from what I hear) and also, it will kinda tell me about menopause (I am not near menopause yet)

It does mean that I still have to do pap smears yearly, but there is no family history of cervical cancer and I do not have HPV, so I am a low risk for cancer there.

good luck - it is a personal decision for sure. I also heard that keeping the cervix helps with the pelvic "floor" and certain orgasms!!
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM

I decided to keep my cervix after speaking with my doctor. This is what she said: pros- no stitches, should still have orgasms, keep husband from feeling like he was hitting a wall, she had complaints that sex hurt for some with no cervix. Cons- may have spotting, yearly paps. I could handle spotting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM

I was told if you have issues with endometrial hyperplasia you cannot keep the cervix.
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM

I am letting the dr take my cervix. I also have many fibroids with several big ones (12 cm). He will slice up my fibroids and uterus and remove them through my viginia. Removing them like this will keep my incisions as small as possible.
There is a slight chance that fibroids can grow on your cervix since it is part of your uterus. It is a very personal choice that you and your dr need to discuss. My surgery is April 27 so you can ask me afterwards if I am happy with this decision.
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Stacie 1965

I agree, we all are different and go into this surgery for different reasons and one woman may not have the options of another.

I go the 28th-hope all goes well.
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:42 AM

I was told by 3 different doctors that I have fibroids tumors in the lining of my uterus and that I need to get my uterus taken out only not my ovaries or cervix. He want to use a robot. I'm hoping my stomach goes down if I decide to have the surgery.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:26 AM

I don't have the option of keeping my cervix, since the main reason I am having a hysterectomy is because of fairly severe prolapse. But if I did, I would, based on what I have researched.
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM

I had everything removed vaginally so no choice but to remove cervix. However, I would have chosen to removed it anyway as I don't want the cancer risk and if you do get cervical cancer post hyst its more difficult to treat. Also, regarding the sex, you will see that few women have problems with orgasm after the removal of the cervix. Of course there are exceptions but it shouldn't be a major consideration. I would hate to bleed monthly, even a little bit, after this and I also don't want any more fibroids growing. It really was a non-issue for me.
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Keeping your cervix or removing it is a very personal choice that only you can make (with the help of your ).

I know a lot of women worry about how their sex life will be without it and I can honestly say, I can't tell mine is gone. I didn't feel my cervix when it was there, and I sure don't miss it now that it is gone. My husband cannot tell the difference either, so it has not affected our sex life at all.

One thing to keep in mind....whether you keep it or have it removed, there is still a chance that you will have to have yearly exams. I know every doctor is different, but there are some out there that still do a vaginal swab every year to check for vaginal cancer. I still have to go once a year to have that done, so I didn't dodge a bullet there.

There are other things to consider. Please remember that the cervix is part of the uterus, not a separate organ, so it is possible that whatever problems plague your uterus, could affect your cervix down the road.

Like I said, it is a personal choice and there are a lot of things to consider. Just do your research and talk to your doctor to decide what is best for you in your situation.

to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register