New Here with Lots of Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here with Lots of Questions New Here with Lots of Questions

Unread 01-11-2002, 10:34 AM
New Here with Lots of Questions

I am new here and I just found out that I have a huge fibroid and my doctor is suggesting that I have a hysterectomy. I am so overwhelmed and don't know what to do. I have so many questions and don't know where to start asking. Do any of you know if fibroids are cancerous? I am so scared and don't know where to turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 10:35 AM

I forgot to say that my hysterectomy has been scheduled for Feb. 27, but I am not sure if I should really go through with this. When my doctor told me that I would need one, I was so overwhelmed and just sat there in a daze while the nurse called the hospital and scheduled it.
Unread 01-11-2002, 11:07 AM

Hi and welcome to a *Wonderful* site!

We can all understand your concerns, you are in great company!

First of all, I too have large fibroids. From all I've been told and what I have researched, they are NOT cancerous! I'm scheduled for surgery on the 17th of this month to have a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy).

Have you looked at the main page here at Hyster Sisters? There are pull down menu's that have a wealth of information from other sisters here. They are a good place to start. But ALWAYS remember YOUR doctor is the BEST person to ask questions of!

Try to relax and read through pull down menu's. They will help you come up with questions for ask your doctor.

Hugs,

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Welcome

Welcome to hystersisters The first thing you need to try and do is relax, take a deep breath, it will be o.k. . Fibroids are typically non cancerous tumors, but you should check again with the doctor once you have had some time to gather your thoughts and questions. This site is a wonderful resource for both knowledge and support. The ladies here are very willing to share their experiences with you and answer any questions you may have. You have almost six weeks to learn all you can about how you want to preceed with this in terms of anethesia choices and so forth. No one can tell you when the time is right for you to do this , only you can make that decision.
Good Luck with your decision and if you have not done so stop into chat and talk with the ladies there. It was a wonderful comfort to me pre op and I know it will be for you also.
Unread 01-11-2002, 11:54 AM

Hi!

Fibroids were one of my many problems leading up to my TAH in November.

Please gather your thoughts, write down any questions you may have, and maybe get a second opinion.

You did not give much "background info" about the problems your fibroids are causing you that the doctor insists that you need a hysterectomy so quickly. Many women live with fibroids that give them no problems. You don't seem like you are completely at ease with his recommendation, this is MAJOR surgery with a 6-8 week recovery period and nobody should be rushed into it without proper preparation, both mentally and physically.

Please research this site, it is a wonderful source of information! Also, post any questions or symptoms you may have, chances are one of the many helpful ladies on this site can give you a little guidance.

Take care of yourself!
Unread 01-11-2002, 02:55 PM

I am sorry that I didn't give more details. I was such a mess when I got home. After having taken a few hours to digest all of this, I am feeling a little better.

I have had alot of pain and bleeding for several months now. I was diagnosed with fibroids awhile back. Now the pain and bleeding is increasing and my doctor said that the fibroid is growing rapidly. It is putting pressure on my bladder and causing bladder troubles. That is why my doctor is suggesting a hysterectomy.
Unread 01-11-2002, 02:58 PM

MissSpaceCadet,
Welcome to HysterSisters! I'm so glad that you found this site. I'm sure you will find the support you are looking for. We are here to support you every step of the way. As you post your questions, you will find many women have the same concerns, fears, and varied emotions that you have. Along the way you may find some lasting friendships. We are women helping women.

As you think of questions to ask your doctor please write them down. You do have a number of weeks before you have your hysterectomy. You may wish to consult another doctor for a second opinion. It seems like you are really uncomfortable with how fast everything has happened. When you meet with your doctor again you can go to your appointment with your list of questions and you will have them in hand so that you don't forget to ask something.

Please keep in touch and continue to ask questions. I'll be interested in hearing how everything works out.

s
Patty
Unread 01-11-2002, 07:59 PM

Hi there missspacecadet

Just thought I would reply.

I had tah/lso for enlarged uterus and huge fibroids. Not only did I have the prolonged and heavy bleeding and bladder problems associated with fibroids, they had actually started causing other problems as well.

Prior to surgery I had constant lower back pain. At that time of the month, it was chronic. I had also started getting a numb left leg. It was the fibroids pressing on nerves causing both the back pain and numb left leg. And guess what? Since surgery I have had no back pain or numb left leg at all. In addition the bladder problem seems to have righted itself. No leaking when I cough, sneeze or laugh.

I had my surgery date for 10 weeks pre op. It gave me a lot of time to think about it. The surgery was constantly on my mind. Like everyone else I was worried, but not scared. When I looked at all the positives to come out of this surgery, there was no choice. I was so ready for it. My recovery so far has been unreal. It was not half as bad as what I thought it would be. I have had no post op problems whatsoever.

My thoughts are with you for your surgery.

Regards and best wishes
Unread 01-11-2002, 08:39 PM

Hi Miss Space Cadet,

I have been dealing with fibroids for about a year and a half now,
symptoms similar to yours. Its been a real pain! Just decided this week to surrender and schedule surgery on 2/26/02. It has taken me a year to accept the idea of surgery and I have spent alot of time researching alternatives, but It seems I don't meet the criteria for other options.

This site is a great source of information. Ask questions. Make another appointment with your doctor for a question and answer session. Get a second opinion, if your doctor is a good one he/she will not be offended and should encourage you to be well informed!!!

This has been a tough decision for me to make too! I visit this site almost everyday and am finding comfort in the posts, because we are not alone!!!

Will be thinking of you! Keep us posted!!!
Unread 01-26-2002, 09:56 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your kind responses. I did go ahead and get a second opinion so that I could feel comfortable in having this surgery. The second doctor also recommended a hysterectomy. So I will go through with this. I am sure that I will be around here more often because I will lose my mind before Feb. 27th

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register