Work the day before? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Work the day before? Work the day before?

Unread 04-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Work the day before?

Hi all

I am 31 years young and have been suffering from prolapse for the last 4 years. Very high pain threshold and never thought this was a concern what with all the other health investigations my doctor was making. Anyhow finally I have spoken up and now know that my highest grade prolapse of my bladder, uterus and possibly rectum and high possibility of endo could have been the cause of all my other symptoms! Woops.
Anyhow, booked in for my hysterectomy on the 18th May and wondering should I take Thursday the 17th off work also? Im at a loss! But believe I shall be pretty nervous by then and given the fact im a Beauty Therapist dont know that I will do too well pampering others feeling this way!
Would it be unfair to my boss to do so, given the fact I will be needing 6 weeks off

Any advise would be welcome as I feel this is the first of many choices that I will have to contend with.

By the way you have all been a big help to me while I have been researching my op

Thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Re: Work the day before?

You have to do what us best for you.
My surgery is April 27 (in 3 days!) and I am working right up to that day. I am a casemanager for people with delevopmental disabilities. Everyone I work with is great . I have worked with them (and their families) for about 8 years and they all know why I am taking medical leave. I did vary the details to their level. I could not ask for any better support than they are giving me.
Saying that I will be at work but will not be doing any serious paperwork or such. Being at work will help me keep me busy. I know this is best for me but if it will help you to take the day off I say take it off. This time is all about what is best for you!
Wishing you the best.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:35 AM

I plan on working to the last day before surgery. The fun (bowel prep) doesn't begin until late in the day, after work. I would rather keep busy than dwell and obsess over what awaits me.

I think you should do what you are comfortable doing. If you need to have a quiet, peaceful day to enjoy and pamper yourself you should do it. Relax and prepare. This is not a small thing. Don't feel guilty. Then again, why not split the difference and work half the day if you are not sure? You make the rules and do what works for you. Do what you want to do and you don't need to explain yourself to anyone. No one knows what you need.

Once you decide I think you will find an inner peace. It's being undecided that is unsettling and causes you to be anxious and nervous. Know yourself, know your needs and follow through. I wish you all the best for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM

I would say to do what you really feel you need to do. My surgery is on May 1 and I've decided to take off on the day before. I figure I won't be much use at work by then anyway. I'm using that day to do the final preps on the house and garden, make a couple of meals for the freezer, take the dog to the vet for boarding and get a pedicure in the afternoon so I can relax (hopefully!) the rest of the evening.
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM

I am planning on working a half day the day before. Then bowel prep starts that afternoon.....but NO complaints here. I got impacted after my ablation in November and spent 3 "lovely" days in the hospital.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Hi ladies! I am 3 weeks post op. I'd planned to work part of the day the day before but my physician actually dated my LOA paperwork so that I was off that day. It caused HR complications (trying to get the paperwork changed) so I just left it the way it was. As it turned out, I'm glad I did. It allowed me time to finish last minute things (including pre surgery testing) and start my bowel prep on time. Best wishes for each of you!
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM

I'm working today...until 5pm...surgery is 9:30am tomorrow! No way could I be sitting at home today!
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

I have bowel prep tomorrow, and surgery on Thursday, so being close to the bathroom tomorrow afternoon is going to be important! Luckily, I work out of my home - so I'm planning on working (a good thing to keep my mind off of things), and depending on how bowel prep goes, running to the bathroom as needed. Hope I don't need to camp out on the pot all afternoon!

Good luck to you tomorrow, Butterfly66!
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM

I was happy to be working the day before - no bowel prep for me. I would have gone out of my mind with worry if I had stayed home that day. I needed something to occupy my mind. As others have said, there is no right answer to this question. If you do take the day off - plan some things to keep yourself busy.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM

Do what you feel is best! Don't feel guilty about work, and that's coming from someone who felt HUGELY guilty up until the surgery. But really, it's not worth the guilt, and it doesn't help anything.

I had the Monday off before my Tuesday surgery, and I am glad I did. I got a lot done around the house that I knew I wouldn't be able to do, and did my bowel prep in the afternoon. I wasn't really that nervous for the surgery, so it didn't drive me crazy to be at home. I probably could have done a half day, though, now that I know - but when the doctor wrote the slip out it excused me from work for that day so I took it off.

All the best to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register