Scheduled dVH/RALH Anyone have LIFETIME restrictions on lifting? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have LIFETIME restrictions on lifting? Anyone have LIFETIME restrictions on lifting?

Unread 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Re: LIFETIME restrictions on lifting (vs recovery time)

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm going to ask my doctor about this. Looks like I'll be changing from my western saddle to an english saddle. Oh boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadeb1990 View Post
Can I get some clarification, is this lifetime restriction put in place for a normal uncomplicated TAH....or is this if there are other issues?? I asked my Dr and she had never heard of this for a normal uncomplicated TAH
Some doctors put the lifetime restrictions for normal, not complicated hysterectomies, and some do not. The surgeons make money later doing these repairs, don't forget. In my opinion I am 47 years old and really shouldn't be unloading a moving truck or bench pressing 200 pounds anyways. I'll leave that to the younger ones. Basically for me, I'd be following the lifetime restrictions even if my doctor had not told me to. It isn't going to hurt me one bit to follow them so why risk it, ya know?
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM

I haven't been told much of anything yet, but my surgeon is 2 1/2 hours away, so aI will only see him one more time before the surgery. My pre-op is next Wednesday, and then I have an appointment with my regular GYN the next week, so I will be asking a lot of questions

I have prolapse issues which will be repaired during the surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM

I was given the same talk, I had recetocle, bladder sling, vaginal vault repair, hysterectomy. Mine was mainly caused by consent lifting heavy objects, I work on a farm and was lifting at least 2 50lb bales of hay a day. So I will not be lifting over 20 lbs very often because I do not want to go thru this surgery again. Dr also said since I now had surgery for vaginal vault prolapse it could happen again. Women who have had a hysterectomy more at risk to have this happen. Since it had already happened we repaired with hysterecomy. Good luck and think about your future when doing any heavy lifting.
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Even women that haven't had a hysterectomy can have prolapse problems. If you research prolapse you can see all the reasons that can cause it. Prolonged heavy lifting can be one reason, but there are many others.Many doctors recommend the lifetime heavy lifting requirements for other female patients,not only for post hysterectomy patients. As you near menopause your estrogen decreases and can cause your pelvic floor to weaken, leading to prolapse issues. Older women should limit heavy lifting not because their arms are weaker with age, but because their pelvic floor may be weakened.
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Thats not practical for me if I can't lift more then 20 pounds on a regular basis as I have to lift my self every time it transfer to an from my wheelchair I've only been told I need to be very careful post operation and can't really transfer without help from a hoist for the first few weeks and I can't push my chair for the first two weeks at least
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
I think you'll be fine. If you worked at an airport and were loading 35 pound bags onto an airplane 8 hours a day 5 days a week that would be different. ---
Cath - This is EXACTLY what I do and I guarantee the weight of the bags tends to lean more towards the 50 pound mark with higher priority passengers allowed up to 70 pounds. If you tell a person they can take 50 pounds in their bag, surprisingly they usually take exactly 50 pounds! It's actually a pretty interesting study in human nature

Anyway, even as I am typing, I am trying to figure out what lifting restrictions would be reasonable for me to request of my doctor so he doesn't send me back to work with no restrictions leaving me to load up to 70 pound bags consistently onto a bag belt. Do you have any insight to this?
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:17 AM

No insight, lol You'll need to talk to your doctor and be very specific about how much weight you lift and how constant the lifting is.Let us know what he says!Maybe do some research on causes of prolapse too so you'll have some reliable information when you talk to your doctor.
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:39 AM

Yep. Those were my instructions after my hysterectomy with anterior repairs. My repairs failed within about 6 months. I am going back for a site-specific repairs next week.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyss View Post
Yep. Those were my instructions after my hysterectomy with anterior repairs. My repairs failed within about 6 months. I am going back for a site-specific repairs next week.
BLYSS What were your restriction instructions? Why do you think your repairs failed? I'm not trying to be nosy, just want your insight. I'm always so paranoid of messing up something and needing repairs later. I'd like to hear from a sister that has good real advice about how to avoid repairs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register