Has anyone else ever had their surgery postponed while in pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else ever had their surgery postponed while in pre-op? Has anyone else ever had their surgery postponed while in pre-op?

Unread 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Has anyone else ever had their surgery postponed while in pre-op?

Has anyone ever had something like this happen. I checked in this morning for my surgery, had all the tests, got my IV and even had a sedative. Then my doctor stops by and does a quick exam and says you know of we go ahead with the vaginal hysterctomy there is a significant chance that your uterus will not drop down and we will have to do it abdominally. That did not sound good to me. He suggested that we do it robotically but unfortunately the room they do that in is was available until Friday. So I went home, ate breakfast, and went to bed because the drugs were still making me sleepy. So now I will show up at work tomorrow and say surprise! So frustrating. I was too drugged to actually be irritated with him this morning but now its got me irked. I wanted to yell at him "So this is something you just thought of?!" I already had to postpone a week because my husband had hurt his back and I didn't think it would be a good idea if we were both out of it. Maybe third times the charm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Re: Has anyone else ever had their surgery postponed while in pre-op?

Everything happens for a reason so just try not to get 2 upset...restart countdown...4 days and counting
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM

I agree w aleta- I believe things like this happen for a reason. But, still I am so sorry you have to reset the "countdown". Glad to hear it isnt too far off though.
Big hugs to you.
By the way- would LOVE to be a fly on the wall @ work when you show up . I say show up a little late & limp a little, wipe your brow & say "(sigh), well, at least thats donel.
Best wishes on friday! I had seen a post by a sister about a month ago that she was even in the OR & had gotten anesthesia & they had to stop bc the anesthesiologist was having a difficult time getting the breathing tube in.
You will do great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2012, 11:46 PM

Ace37,

Thats funny. My son actually suggested something similar. There are people all around me at work that have colds right now. Maybe I should wear a mask because if I get sick and have to postpone it again no one is going to believe me that I am actually having surgery. Wish me luck.
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:03 AM

My surgery was postponed twice. The first time was the day that I was pre registering at the hospital. My hematologist felt that my situation with the anemia was too unstable to release me for surgery. The second time was on the day of surgery. I was on the table with the IV waiting to be wheeled into the OR when the Dr told me he was postponing due to the fact that the blood bank could not match my blood and would need at least 24 more hours to do so. My blood type isn't rare but apparently I have a rare antibody in it.

I was devestated the first time surgery was postponed because I was so tired of being sick and was ready for it. The second time I was nervous and just wanted it over with. Everything does happen for a reason and the third time was the charm. Successful surgery and now I am 12 days post op.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaoroo View Post
second time was on the day of surgery. I was on the table with the IV waiting to be wheeled into the OR when the Dr told me he was postponing due to the fact that the blood bank could not match my blood and would need at least 24 more hours to do so. My blood type isn't rare but apparently I have a rare antibody in it.
This is exactly why I am donating my own the week before. I dont want to hear they can not find a match to my blood type. I am already mad I scheduled so far out and to be postponed I would lose it.

I hope it all works out for you the next time.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM

I was also postponed! My surgery was scheduled for noon. I was prepped and ready and hungry! They kept delaying my start time and when the nurse came in at 2:30, I knew it was bad news. Whoever was in the OR before me took a lot of extra time. I had a feeling at about 2:00 because I figured they wouldn't start another operation that late. I was disappointed but I'd rather do it the next week (which we did) than have a sleepy doctor or anestheisiologist working on me! Seems like your doctor should have discussed all your options BEFORE you got to the hospital, but who knows?

I'm now 3 months out and am SO HAPPY!Good Luck to you!
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM

I think those of you that said that things happen for a reason were right. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at 1:30 PM. I got a call from the doctors office this evening and they said that my doctor is no longer working for them. He sure was 2 days ago! So you have to wonder what happened! They said that they have another doctor who is very good at robotic surgery and he can do it at the same time that I am scheduled for. It sure is a good thing that I am not extremely nervous about this (why, I do not know) or I would be going crazy. I am going to meet this doctor in the morning before the surgery.

I'm just hoping there are no more unexpected surprises!!!!!
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:18 AM

Good luck to you. It is hard (at least it was for me) but just let go and trust that your Dr knows what he/she is doing.
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Just wanted to follow up and say that everything went well and I am home. I am not in much pain just a little sore. I'm glad I swithched doctors I really like the one who did the surgery. So the saga is over now I have a few weeks of rest ahead of me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register