surgery on obese people - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on obese people surgery on obese people

Unread 01-20-2002, 02:26 PM
surgery on obese people

Wow, you can model at 5'5"??

I always wanted to try plus-size modeling but felt that I would never have a chance as I thought you needed to be 5'8". I have an attractive face and hair, but I am 5'4".

There is a lot of research out there that documents people ending up fatter by dieting. That is sure what happened to me, and I am sure, you too.

How much weight do you want to lose? You do not have to be a bone to gain the benefits you want.

Last year I started a job where I was going to be on my feet at least 10 hours a day and it was going to be busy and stressful. I lost 10 lbs when I started that job, not through any fault of my own ... I just couldn't figure out how to fit eating into a longer daily schedule, I was new in town, needed to figure out where grocery stores and restaurants were, how long it would take me to cook, eat and get to work on time, etc. But standing and working those long hours just killed me.

I finally decided I needed to join a gym, so I could maybe develop some endurance for those long shifts. I started working out 2-4 times a week on the treadmill and with hand weights.

What happened was that I felt a whole lot better once I got into the routine. My knees and calves didn't hurt, I had more energy, and I didn't come draggin' home feeling like doo-doo every night. I had suffered with backaches that kept me up all night, and they cleared up COMPLETELY. I also GAINED about 15 lbs ... and the funniest thing was that people kept telling me I looked like I lost weight!!

Isn't that a gas???

I then had some time away from gym due to being sick, gym membership screwed up, etc, and finally went back not too long ago. Even though I hadn't been in three months, I could still handle almost what what I was doing when I quit ... which was WAY more than when I first started. Then I got laid off ... car broke down twice ... I got snowed in ... and didn't do *any* activity for like 3 weeks. I felt like a little old lady when I went back to the gym again!!!

I have decided that I am going to try to eat with some degree of common sense, work out every day if I can, and my weight can do what it wants. Even if I weigh more, I do not have nearly the problems getting around when there is enough muscle to move it all.

I have decided that if Mother Nature has decreed that I will never be a thin person again, I am going to be the healthiest -- AND HAPPIEST -- fat lady around!

Don't torture yourself about your weight. Just develop what you got!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 08:27 PM
surgery on obese people

Hi,
Yep, you sure can model at 5'5.... I do mostly print work, but have done very limited run way modeling... the runway is where they want taller models. And I am very deceiving, I do look taller than I really am... and your absolutely right... some women ( me included) are not ment to be size 5. I have never been, nor will I ever be the ideal weight according to society... all I can do is be the best me that I can be... and right now that is a size 24... 26 if I try to wear jeans, I need to go up a size due to the fibroids I have...And that is what I am trying to do... eat with common sense........... Good luck to you...
Divinity
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:01 PM
surgery on obese people

Hey cool, thanks for the info. Maybe I should look into that again.

Good luck. I am sure it is much easier to exercise when you aren't having cramping from fibroids all the time ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 10:12 AM
I WAS plus sized

I was in that boat from the time I had my last baby until 2 years ago. Because I am tall ( 5 ft. 10) I was able to carry my weight and even though the number was big on the scales, people only assumed I was "overweight" rather than obese.
New Years Day 2000 I started power walking and started taking applecider vinegar (in tab form there's no way I could swallow the actual vinegar!) 3x a day. I also ate only 3 normal meals a day and really watched the "cheating" I would reward myself with something I craved at every 10lb mark. By June I was 60lbs lighter and stuck at a plateau. I was so happy and looked great that I didnt care if I was still 30lbs over the "ideal" weight because of my height it didnt show. Then last winter I developed gallstones and had a gallbladder attack (the surgeon told me rapid weight loss can double your chances for this) From Jan until I finally had my surgery (lap-choley) for gallbladder last June, I shed 25 more pounds due to the fact I was tolerating less and less foods to the point that it was just dry toast for the last 3wks pre-op. I weighed in 4 days post-op from my gallbladder surgery and was pleased to see that for the first time in 15 years that my BMI (body mass index) was in the "healthy" range!!
Of course I gained back gradually 10lbs after that surgery as some of it was from starvation and fluids, but I have ended up maintaining the 80lb loss (though I am steering clear of scales since my SAH on 1/7)
I have had so many compliments and the one I hold nearest and dearest to my heart is one from a patients wife who told me
"you look great, but you were beautiful before too"
DONT LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!!!!!
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm Not too worried...

I, too, am 5'4'' and 220 lbs, size 18. I carry my weight, though, like an Apple -- boobs and stomach...

I know the risks are higher with the weight and this body type, but my blood pressure is always super low, and I'm relatively healthy feeling lately ...

I've had four surgeries in my recent years (I'm 36 years old), and I came through those relatively well...

So I'm thinking it depends on what definition of "obese" you are using!

I realize I'm technically "obese" but then again, I'm a very common size and shape!

Janet
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:37 AM
surgery on obese people

"you look great, but you were beautiful before too"
DONT LET ANYONE EVER TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!!!!!

That is the way to look at it!!!

I read "Overcoming Overeating" by Carol Munter and Jane Hirschman. One of their basic tenets is that the big thing that keeps overweight going is the self-hatred obese people have. To the extent you hate yourself for being fat, you will regain any weight you lose.

Nobody likes being told that they aren't acceptable, and if you eat to feel better (as I do), the minute you hear something like and start to feel bad, you want to eat.

If everyone could speak that way to overweight people, maybe the problem wouldn't be so rampant in our country.
Unread 01-21-2002, 09:10 PM
surgery on obese people

I weighed 215 at OP (removed 2 grapefruit size tumors) and found myself scared and swollen for days. I stayed in the hospital 6 days post op and was uncomfortable and terrified to move lest I "break" my stitiches/staples. I wish I had stood up straight when I first started walking. I also found I NEEDED the entire 6 weeks to recover...and I was TIRED almost daily. I did not lose weight, nor did I gain, but I am finding now, almost 7 years later that part of my scar (lower abdoman smile shape) is still quite visible, but mostly it has healed hidden away, looking like any regular Overweight "fold". I did also notice the first year post op, it felt "funny" when I urinated...like it was going through a "Crazy Straw" before leaving the body. That has since gone away. Used a long pillow under my tummy during post op and felt bloated and whale beached the first 2 weeks. Staples came out easily in post op visit about a week after I left the hospital. I am happy to say, that I no longer have those horrible cramps or embarrassing "power"flow of menstrual bleeding during the time of my usual period. I still have my ovaries, and I still get emotional at "that" time of the month, but I Don't miss my uterus at all really. :0) Best of luck to you! xox
Unread 01-21-2002, 11:55 PM
surgery on obese people

Wow, looks like we have started a whole new site here! I am 13 days post op and I am very overweight...nearly 100 pounds. My doctor actually told me that it was easier to do a vaginal hysterectomy and that he did. I have had not one complication. The anesthesia was perfect, the pain meds were perfect and no pain with urination or bowel movements.

I was more concerned with moving from operating table to bed when I was knocked out! How were they going to do this??? But truly, I believe that hospitals are so ready for this stuff that it is not that big of a deal.

I too thought that I was the only one out there who was so heavy! Glad everyone is coming forward.

blondie
Unread 01-22-2002, 05:56 AM
OVERWEIGHT ALSO

I HAD FIBROIDS REMOVED 3 YRS AGO. I THINK THAT THE FAT HANGING CAUSED PULLING ON ABDOMEN THAT A THINNER WOMAN WOULDNT HAVE. HYSTER IS SCHEDULED FOR FEB 12, 2002. I THINK I WEIGH ABOUT THE SAME BUT THE FLAB FROM THE PREVIOUS SURGERY IS THERE SO I THINK IT WILL BE WORSE.

ITS FUNNY READING THE BOARDS ALOT OF THE WOMEN SAY BUY EXTRA LARGE STUFF TO ALLOW FOR THE SWELLING. I CANT GO ANY LARGER. WELL PANTIES I CAN I GUESS. BUT I DONT KNOW OF LARGER SWEATS. I DONT WANT TO GET COLD AND THE FREIND I AM STAYING WITH LIVES IN A FRIDGE.

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU
Unread 01-22-2002, 06:18 AM
BIG BOLD AND BEUTIFUL

YES I AM SICK OF THE ATTITUDE THE DRS COP WITH ME WHEN THEY REALLY ARE PUTTING ME DOWN BECAUSE I AM FAT. ISNT IT FUNNY WE ARE FAT. THEY ARE SKINNY. SKINNY ISNT A THING FAT IS A REAL THING. IT IS YELLOW AND UGLY. THAT IS HOW I FEEL WHEN SOMEONE SAYS "YOU ARE FAT". YUCK.
HYSTER FEB 12, 2002. 300 LBS 5FT 7 INCHS.
LOTS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS--SLEEP APNEA WITH CPAP MACHINE. HEEL SPURS, FIBROIDS AND LOTS OF PAIN, ROSACEA.
ANYWAY ALL ARE MADE WORSE BY EXERSIZING. WELL APNEA I AM JUST SLEEPY MOST OF THE TIME. FIBROIDS I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING WILL FALL OUT ANY MINUTE, HEEL SPURS WELL PAIN.
ROSACEA NOT SUPPOSED TO GET HOT NOR LET FACE GET RED. WELL OF COURSE IF I SWEAT I GET RED.
I DO WALK THE DOG BUT ALL OF ABOVE GETS BAD THOSE TIMES.
THE GYN SAYS I AM JUST MAKING EXCUSES.
THANK YOU FOR THIS WEB SIT.
SANDY

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register