Scheduled TAH "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-) "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

Unread 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
"emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

Just had my surgery scheduled for May 8...and feel about 3 months behind in all I need to do beforehand. Add to that the immense pain I'm in for a bulk of the day...ugh! So what are the top 2 or 3 things I need to make sure happen?

Our plan is to move a bed into our front parlor which has it's own entrance and can be closed off for privacy...that way I'm on the same level as the kitchen and TV.

I've ordered some nice full nightgowns and a new robe for ' when I'm entertaining' well wishers.

Family is going to want to stock our fridge... what foods can I eat or will I want to eat those first few days?

What's the 1 item you couldn't live w/o post-op?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions in the next 2 weeks. Thanks in advance :-)
Sam in PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Re: "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

The one thing I couldn't live without was extra bed pillows to tuck around my body to be comfortable so I could sleep. I went to Walmart and bought cheap ones. The other thing was satin pj's so I could slide easily around in the covers in the bed without getting tangled up. They were pretty and presentable if company came over. I had a TAH BSO on Feb 17th. I had just about the same amount of time to plan as you do. Another nice thing to have is if people ask you what they can do tell them to make you a dinner that is easy to heat up and bring it to you. I couldn't stand for a ling time with out getting weak like I was going to pass out. Something I wish I would have done but didn't was go to like kohls and get yoga pants that aren't too sloppy looking with an elastic waist for when you decide you need or want to go out. None of your pants will fit and even if they do they may squeeze you too much to be comfortable on your stitches. I had to have my mother take me out a couple of weeks after surgery and try on pants. It was horrible trying on clothes post op....I hope I helped some. There is also a list on this website of other things you can do to prepare including a packing list for your hospital stay. Best of luck...hugs, Michele
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM

The first couple of days after my surgery, I am not sure about any one item. Books, I read alot. My cell phone cause people would text me to see if I was awake before they called me. My jammie pants, and my afghan for the couch. My lap top after the first several days. I am not a good person to ask what foods you will want to eat because I also had my gallbladder out and after not being able to eat for several months without pain ... I was tickled pink to be able to handle any food again. But I definitely wanted smaller portions. And the first couple of days I was just uncomfortable and not really hungry... kind of had to force myself to eat.

Good luck to you. Mostly in this time before, try to relax and I would prepare yourself to rest and pamper yourself after. That was the hardest for me, because i am not a person who just sits around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM

A loose nightgown & a small pillow to put between your knees so you can lay on your side in bed.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM

I could not have lived without my yoga pants and loose tshirts!! I got the Danskin ones at WalMart. Extra pillows was another thing for the bed and a small pillow for your belly.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM

I know how you feel - I had 10 days to prepare.

Focus on getting food and meals in the freezer, and you house as organized as you can make it. I cleaned the house as best I could because that was not going to happen for a while after surgery. You will need comfy, loose fitting clothes. Make sure you get on top of you dos and don'ts meds.

Make sure you have a small pillow - this is a must! You will need to hold it against your tummy when you sneeze or cough. I also needed it for sudden cat visits.

Food wise, nothing gassy or spicy. Keep it mild. You will also want fiber - oatmeal for breakfasts is good (and comforting).

We are here to help and support you

(((Hugs)))
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:03 PM

everything they said above plus....
a mini pillow pet
gas x, colace, mirlax.ilk of magnesia ( ask doctor which one for you)
stock up on easy food stuff ( like what you pack in a kids lunch box) that way you can grab it on your way back from the bathroom.
make freezer meals ahead of time.
clean your house well enough so it can last a month if you don't lift a finger.
move all your stuff to eye and waist level ( refrigerator, cupboards, dresser, closet, medicine cabinet, etc. as you won't be able to reach, bend, stretch, lift, for quite a while)
The last week before surgery pay all bills and leave yourself post it notes all over for stuff that will need to be paid, mailed, done the first 2 weeks post op, or you'll forget.
stock your cupboards and fridge with everything you can imagine . I had enough here to last at least a month.
Don't tell anymore people than necessary about surgery as your phone will constantly ring with people calling to check on you and you won't have the energy to chat.
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Bigger sized underpants, the full-size granny pants kind Your tummy swells and your incision hurts. Slippery soft undies felt good. Cotton actually hurt! Cheap ones hurt. I splurged on expensive undies and a nice robe.

A belly binder. I felt like it kept my insides from jiggling. Kept them in place when I layed on my side. It also helped when I coughed, but you still need that little pillow, too, for coughing.

Put the things you'll need at home up to waist level. No bending, squatting to get the toilet paper or pads or kitty food.
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanks all...now I know what the tummy binder and little pillow are for jiggly belly :-)
And good call abt storing things at easy reach level!

I added Kmart shopping trip and post-op mommy room Makeover to our company's calendar...that way everyone knows when to help to what :-)

Sam
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:50 PM

Hi Sammie DD, A hand held shower head and a seat in the shower. I put in a new shower a few years back and included the two in preparation of the future- though I love it every day the combo is especially nice post-surgery, not to mention safer. If you don't have the two, a hand held shower head can easily be added and you could get a shower stool at a hospital supply or on line.

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register