Scheduled TAH "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-) "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

Unread 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Re: "emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

Thanks again everyone :-)

I've got a spreadsheet going to track what to buy, what to take with me, and home prep needs..that way if a family member asks what they can do to help, I've got my answer in black and white (I'm a little bit of a control freak/type a, can you tell?)

Had a short burst of energy, so got my recovery room cleaned today.

On a "good" note, I just talked to the hospital and right now I'm the only overnight patient their going to have in that surgery section so private room and lots of attentive nurses (and dh can spend the night in the room with me)

Sam :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM

You can never be too prepared. You'll be so happy you did all this ahead of time when your home from the hospital.
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Hello Sammie DD. Just to let you know that some of the Goodwill stores have show seats in the back. All you have to do is ask and they will give you one for free. I also bought nightgowns at Walmart in size 2X and they were very comfortable to sleep in. Also take your pain medication as prescribed by the doctor. Don't try to " be a hero" as my DH put it, and hold out on taking the pain meds. They help you relax, which in turn helps the body to heal. Best of luck! Don't forget to pamper the princess!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM

I echo what many have already said above - great advice. Make sure you have loose clothing (nightgowns and loose pants). I would recommend sweats, yoga pants, anything stretchy and not constricting. I had a lap supracervical scheduled and the physician had to stop the procedure and do a TAH (removing everything) because of severe endo that I wasn't aware of. I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op and still wear loose pants because anything snug isn't comfortable. Also, I would give yourself permission to decline entertaining anyone for long periods - you'll need your rest and you'll probably be in pain. I'm also a side sleeper and for the first 3 weeks it was more painful to sleep on my sides (internal stuff shifted around I guess). I also had a lot of swelling in my feet/legs the first few days so make sure you have slippers or shoes that can accommodate. Extra pillows are very important. Also simple things like washing your back or wiping will be painful in the beginning (any twisting or turning). I'm very thankful I had my back brush. Make sure you have some things to do once you are starting to recover (reading, movies to watch, easy hobbies like crocheting, knitting or needlework, etc.) because you'll start to get frustrated and bored (or at least I have). I also happened to have one of those little reach extender things (not sure what they are called) and that was a life saver. If I dropped something I could use it to pick it up, etc. Easy meals. If someone asks what they can do to help - the best thing is to bring a ready made meal or something that can easily be prepared (for you and your family). I also was glad I had some baby wipes on hand, they came in handy. I would suggest making sure you have some liquid antibacterial soap for showering. Also, try to make sure you have a plan for laundry (either someone to help or plenty of clean stuff, including towels, etc.). As far as food, I was ok to eat whatever I wanted the next day but I'm actually glad I only felt like eating lighter meals the first few days. Best wishes!
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM
"emergancy" TAH with only 12 days to prep, lots of ???s :-)

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but drink water....a lot of water. Your body will heal better staying hydrated. And if you do not have enough water you will feel so much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie_DD View Post
Thanks again everyone :-)

I've got a spreadsheet going to track what to buy, what to take with me, and home prep needs..that way if a family member asks what they can do to help, I've got my answer in black and white (I'm a little bit of a control freak/type a, can you tell?)

Had a short burst of energy, so got my recovery room cleaned today.

On a "good" note, I just talked to the hospital and right now I'm the only overnight patient their going to have in that surgery section so private room and lots of attentive nurses (and dh can spend the night in the room with me)

Sam :-)
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Ooo ladies a Netflix streaming account will be your best friend... most gaming systems have the access... be there are threads with suggestions....

if you don't have a game system www.roku.com

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register