Two weeks post op, feeling overwhelmed. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks post op, feeling overwhelmed. Two weeks post op, feeling overwhelmed.

Unread 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Two weeks post op, feeling overwhelmed.

Recovery has been wonderful, my husband and son have been helpful and supportive troopers, but I am an emotional wreck today. Maybe it's that I should be keeping myself busy instead of stewing over all of the what if's, but man those what if's sure are loud today.

Can't stop crying today. We had no plans for another child, but I am feeling sad about my uterus being gone, despite all of my years joking that I wish they would just take it out because of all the grief it was causing. Scared to death about returning to a sex life. I just feel so worn down today. I know there will be ups and downs, but woah it feels like I have some sort of turbo charged PMS going on!!!

Sorry, just had to vent. Is it always an emotional roller coaster, or does it get better after some time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Two weeks post op, feeling overwhelmed.

I am right there with you! During my first two weeks of recovery, I was prretty much on an even keel. I don't think I cried even once. I was just happy to have the surgery behind me, and was gradually feeling a little better each day, and then all of the sudden BAM! Since Monday, I have been on a wild ride. I am being touchy about every little thing. I am aware that I am overreacting and being a bit irrational at times, but I seem to be powerless to control it! Very frustrating. I am back at work this afternoon for the first time (starting out with two 3-hour shifts a week at my desk job, which is less than 5 minutes from home.). I am a little nervous that I might bite someone's head off for no reason. I guess we need to try and roll with the punches for a while- it won't last forever.

Hang in there! Sending hugs your way!
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Hugs and best wishes to you too! Hope all goes well with work for ya. I figure this weekend will be a good test for keeping mycalm in check. Going out of town for two family birthday parties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM

I think at 2 weeks post-op everyone is feeling pretty fragile. You still have a lot of recovery to do, and most of your energy is going into the healing process. Your body has been through a major trauma. Even though the first couple of weeks have gone well, it is very normal to be emotional, and to feel sad or to break into tears over the loss of our female organs. I'm post-menopausal, my kids are in their 30's, and I felt a loss of the womb where I grew my babies. Although we can rationalize that we are still women (and we are!), it's normal to feel these feelings.

The best advice I can think to give is to keep taking care of yourself. Get lots of rest and be careful not to overdo it when you go out of town for the birthday parties. When you are well rested (and nutritiously fed), it is much easier to see things calmly and to keep the emotions under control.

Lots of hugs!
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM

I am 31 had a total hysterectomy never had children..first couple of weeks i had the same thoughts and was very emotional first 3 weeks just like you said major PMS...this week it better but still pretty touchy lol...hopefully each week will bring more positive changes.
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM

I went thru the same thing at around 2 weeks, thought I was doing better, didn't even over do it, and then I felt really bad, tired and overwhelmed at how much healing I would need to ever get back to normal, much ever get off all the pain meds. I am almost to 4 weeks now and started just today to feel like I might really be on the mend.
I am still taking just a little (1/2 pill) norco and lots of motrin, but getting a handle on pain has made me feel so much better. At first I was disapointed that I needed it, but I am so over that. If I start feeling like I need a pain med, I take it.

Yesterday I got all my reports in the mail from the hospital. My report on my uterus was in there too, discription, no cancer found etc. Then I suddenly thought, WHAT DID THEY DO WITH HER? Wow. I was worried about my organ, that it felt discarded, thrown away. I am sure some shrink could have a hey day with whatever that projects.
Wonder what they do with the "parts" really? Incineration? I hope so,
I really dont want her rotting in the trash somewhere.
Am I wierd?
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM

No you are not weird- unless I am too, because I wondered the same thing!
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamewoman View Post
I went thru the same thing at around 2 weeks, thought I was doing better, didn't even over do it, and then I felt really bad, tired and overwhelmed at how much healing I would need to ever get back to normal, much ever get off all the pain meds. I am almost to 4 weeks now and started just today to feel like I might really be on the mend.
I am still taking just a little (1/2 pill) norco and lots of motrin, but getting a handle on pain has made me feel so much better. At first I was disapointed that I needed it, but I am so over that. If I start feeling like I need a pain med, I take it.

Yesterday I got all my reports in the mail from the hospital. My report on my uterus was in there too, discription, no cancer found etc. Then I suddenly thought, WHAT DID THEY DO WITH HER? Wow. I was worried about my organ, that it felt discarded, thrown away. I am sure some shrink could have a hey day with whatever that projects.
Wonder what they do with the "parts" really? Incineration? I hope so,
I really dont want her rotting in the trash somewhere.
Am I wierd?
I was offered the option of donating my uterus and other things taken (tubes, cervix, etc) to a research tissue bank when i attended my pre-op. It is only used post-pathology, and i may never know what for, but i jumped at the chance as it made me feel like just maybe it would make a difference to some other woman down the track if medical researchers could use it to uncover a cure for adenomyosis or at least learn more about it. Who knows if it will be used or how much will. but I felt better about it immediately when I signed to donate it. Not much of a tip at this stage, and not many hospitals probably offer research options like this, but thought I'd share anyway.
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM

That is great. I wish I'd been given that option.
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM

My LAVH was right around yours so I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op - and I am finding this to be a very emotional time. I think it's b/c I'm off of the Percocet so my mind is more clear (the first 2 weeks are quite fuzzy) and it's annoying that my body is not normal. I keep reminding myself to rest and have done a good job about it. But every time I can't physically do something, it upsets me, and it reminds me what brought me to the surgery in the first place. It's an emotional rollercoaster.
My family has been a good support, but it also seems that my extended friends/family kinda peter off after the 2 week-mark. And we still need the help! It's also emotional to keep asking for help (I have 3 young kids) when it's so long post-op.
OK, I could go on and on. Guess the short story is that I understand your emotions b/c I'm right on track with you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register