Do I need care first and second week? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need care first and second week? Do I need care first and second week?

Unread 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Do I need care first and second week?

I have a five year old, we will be moving and I will be in a hotel room until 3 weeks. I plan on enrolling my son in a summer camp, and my husband will head straight to work. Do I need someone to care for me the first week? Will I be able to care for my son for a couple hours until my husband gets home? That is my biggest sress. if I didn't have kids, no problem, or if I had family to help. What do you suggest, or what will first week be like.
I would like to hear from moms of small children. I have the double stress of hysterectomy and a move to fl. No home and no help. Wait that makes it 4!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Re: Do I need care first and second week?

I think you need to get some help lined up for the first few days that your DH is supposed to be working after your surgery, at least. I have 3 kids, who were 7, 4, and 2 when I had surgery in September. It was about 3-4 weeks after my surgery when I felt like I could handle all 3 for a few hours on my own. If I had only one 5 year old, I MIGHT have been up to a few hours by myself with him at 1-2 weeks if I had drinks, snacks, etc. next to me & felt comfortable just having him watch TV while I snoozed. It's really a matter of how much up & down, physical care you have to give, and how well you're feeling. Also, not to scare you, but you need to prepare yourself mentally that complications/setbacks are not only possible, in some form or another they are fairly common, and may mean you're less able to care for yourself & others for longer than you expect. I did not have anything I would consider a "major" complication, but I did have a bladder infection at just about 1 week, followed by a crazy, miserable allergic reaction to the sulpha antibiotics that didn't present itself until several days AFTER I finished the meds, when my feet, hands & mouth swelled up & I hurt so badly I couldn't walk, hold a pen, or anything really. Thankfully, that was only a few days, then I was back on the road to recovery, and doing much better.

The short version is this: Better to plan for help, and cancel because you're doing great, than to find you desperately need help, and not be able to get anyone! If you don't know anyone in your area (since you're moving) you might be able to find a part time/temporary helper/nanny to come sit with you & your son while your DH is working. I found a wonderful lady through Care.com when our friends & family had taken as much time off as they could to help,and I still wasn't ready to be on my own all the time. She still comes every week or so for a few hours, but now it's to help me with the kids while I work on my small business!
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM

I have a 3 year old and my little girl was 16m at the time my son was two weeks shy of three. You really do need help for the 1st 7-14 days and help for your self the 1st 5-1O days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM

So sorry, that REALLY stinks...but been right with you. You WILL need help! Those first few weeks are very rough...my at the time 3 year old who is disabled from the waste down is dependent upon adults for help & care. We are a military family & such my husband has long hours & we have NO family in the area.
I cannot stress to you enough to prevent post op injury to yourself you REALLY need to see if there are some sort of home nurse programs, etc that can help you.
They went through my c section scar to do mine, & I couldn't even roll over or sit up without help for 4 weeks.
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM

No move here but I did care for my 18mo son when I had my abdominal hyst.

My advice - Yes, you will need help for at least 1-2 weeks based on my experience. If your child is able to entertain themselves for longer periods or play card games/simple games/watch cartoons snuggled up with mommy then you will be able to handle the few hours a day alone. You will need prep for that though. Drinks & snacks must be prepared and ready for your child to get for themselves.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM

I could not imagine caring for a child, or anyone, for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Hard enough slugging yourself around. You will be helpless, or you should be, if you are going to heal.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Thank you for putting that into perpective. A lot harder than I imagined!!!!!
I did have 9 weeks ago my ovary and tube removed laporascopy and it was very rough... but this sounds like a lot more! If anyone has had ovary and tube please compare for me I also had endometriosis laser on a some.
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM

We are also military (well he is retired) and we are moving to FL.
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM

I had laparoscopy surgery 8 weeks before my hyster. There is absolutely no comparison to the recoveries. My lap was difficult, but a walk in the park compared to this. Your going to be like an invalid for about 5-10 days and will not be able to take care of much more than getting yourself to the bathroom.Even if your not as bad as most, you will still be in no shape to be alone. You could fall or pass out. You need help, or you need to reschedule surgery until your settled.Just my opinion, but better safe than sorry.
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:36 AM

I don't have children but I can say you will definately need help for the first few days. Beyond that I think it depends on what kind of surgery you are having. Mine was the DaVinci Robotic Method scheduled for a wednesday, my husband had taken the week off of work but my surgery was postponed till friday. I came home on Sunday but the plan was for him to go straight back to work on monday. He ended up taking mon-thur off to stay home and care for me. In reality I probably would have been ok on my own on wed and thurs but I definately needed him those first two days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register