Do I need care first and second week? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need care first and second week? Do I need care first and second week?

Unread 04-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Re: Do I need care first and second week?

I had a complete a lapiroscopy (sp) 2 wks prior to my to my complete abdominal hyst. & like the other lady stated made my lapiroscopy a walk in the park....(made my c-section feel the same too)...honestly the safest thing to do is reschedule if you can, like was previously suggested...You WILL for your own safety need another person with you for a few days to few weeks depending on your type of surgery....me I was an invalid for 4 weeks....Good Luck! ((Hugs))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Do I need care first and second week?

I habe 4 kids ages 4-12. I had live in help the first 3 weeks but after that was on my own completely with them. The first week you should have someone take care of you as its the toughest week. If that's not possible make sure you are set up to stay in bed all day. Not having support sucks, I live far away from my support so while I was fortunate to have the initial help I can relate. On the plus side I'm now 10 weeks out and doing quite well
  Quote:
Originally Posted by bavy View Post
I have a five year old, we will be moving and I will be in a hotel room until 3 weeks. I plan on enrolling my son in a summer camp, and my husband will head straight to work. Do I need someone to care for me the first week? Will I be able to care for my son for a couple hours until my husband gets home? That is my biggest sress. if I didn't have kids, no problem, or if I had family to help. What do you suggest, or what will first week be like.
I would like to hear from moms of small children. I have the double stress of hysterectomy and a move to fl. No home and no help. Wait that makes it 4!
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM

After my hyst I later had my ovaries removed laparoscopically and the recovery was soooo much easier than my hyst. It was apples and oranges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Ok so I have decided to see doctor BUT not schedule surgery until I have moved in to the house, put my son in summer camp. Then we asked my mother in law (who is older)to help for two weeks. She said yes, she will have to fly in from across the country, but atleast it will be someone with me. Had I not asked this question I would have thought I would be back to walking in two weeks, and caring my son in a couple of days. THANKS!
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Four kids, thats a lot! When were you able to drive?
Thanks!
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I mean a lot on a person after surgery... not a lot of kids
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavy View Post
Ok so I have decided to see doctor BUT not schedule surgery until I have moved in to the house, put my son in summer camp. Then we asked my mother in law (who is older)to help for two weeks. She said yes, she will have to fly in from across the country, but atleast it will be someone with me. Had I not asked this question I would have thought I would be back to walking in two weeks, and caring my son in a couple of days. THANKS!

I think you'll be way better off with this new plan. having your Mother In Law come for 2 weeks is a great idea. You'll heal so much faster if you don't have to strain and over do it the first 2 weeks. Best of luck to you with your move and your surgery. Are you getting your surgery in the new state your moving to, or the old town?
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM

I would recommend trying to line up help. I have a teenager (she has a fractured L5 vertebrae) and a disabled husband. I had complications and my 2 week recovery from a lap supracervical became a 6 week TAH with everything removed. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and still have quite a bit of recovery to do so be patient with yourself. My teenager had a 'freak out' session the day of surgery because of the complications and I was not in a position to handle it (and she is almost 15). Best wishes!
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM

I some how managed to take care of a two year old since day 2..I have no clue as to how i did it but I did and I will say it wasn't a walk in the park..good luck
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM

Hi Bavy, I had laproscopy and hysteroscopy (for treatment of endo, adhesions, confirming adenomyosis, etc) about 7 weeks before my hysterectomy this week (in which also did cyctoscopy and removed tubes, more endo, cervix etc, so a lot of work). I had terrible problems after that first surgery. Now just 5 days post-hyster and I am very weak, very doped up on pain killers, and just able to get myself cereal and a drink and get to and from the bathroom. I think having back to back surgery makes it a little hard on the second recovery, but I have nothing to compare it to. My partner and son have left me alone all day, and from monday I will be alone during the days all week too as partner at work and son at school. I'm happy enough to be alone, as I'm not good company, keep falling asleep all the time and very hazy. But its such an individual thing. I'd just recommend you line up some food (frozen meals or such, so you have substantial things to eat while healing), see if you husband can have shorter days or come home for lunches to keep you company, or have a couple of friends who can drop in for quick short visits, and see who could entertain your little person too over the first couple of weeks, even for just a few hours at a time (take to movie, park or other things to distract him and give you a break). Just knowing there is a break coming where you don't have to play mummy all the time makes it easier to get through the times when its a struggle. Try and make your space as calm and restful as possible, despite the stress of moving, and come online to the hystersisters as often as you need to to be reassured, entertained and loved up! You will get through it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register