Not Scheduled Insurance approval? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insurance approval? Insurance approval?

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Insurance approval?

How long did it take for your insurance to approve your hysterectomy?

I had an appointment with my surgeon a week ago Friday, April 20th. He said he would send in the paperwork the following week.

Just curious how long it took others to get approved.

Thank you.

/u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Re: Insurance approval?

My insurance does not require pre approval for a hyster. I was surprised and called the insurance company twice to make sure I would be covered. I also called insurance/billing department at the hospital to make sure this was correct.
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Well, I'm not sure I am the best one to answer this. When I was scheduled the hospital and my DR did not receive confirmation from the insurance company until a few days before surgery. I didn't receive a letter confirming the insurance company's decision until I had been home from the hospital for a week our more
:-P Go figure they work in mysterious ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Mine took about 2 weeks. I would imagine it depends on your insurance company.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Same here I am currently also awaiting approval from insurance I was told that mine takes 30 days so I am guessing everyone's is probably different I saw my doctor the 18th and was told 30 days from that date. Good luck
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM

Your doctor's office should be able to tell you how long your insurance company normally takes. Call and ask to talk with the person who handles pre-certifications. It's funny, my insurance company denied coverage of my surgery several years ago and this time (same insurance) they didn't even require pre-cert. Go figure.
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM

My insurance company informed my drs. office in between me seeing the doc on the 22 of March and the 26th of March when they called to give me my surgery date. I received my copy of the approval from insurance about a week later. I was pretty PLEASANTLY pleased to not have to fight them! I guess they are sick of paying for drs. visits, meds, and tests
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:29 AM

My insurance was approved last week. Actually, I applied for it two months ago. It really depends on your insurance company. Have you tried to ask them about it?
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usoda View Post
How long did it take for your insurance to approve your hysterectomy?

I had an appointment with my surgeon a week ago Friday, April 20th. He said he would send in the paperwork the following week.

Just curious how long it took others to get approved.

Thank you.

/u
Update:

Now I'm confused. I finally called my surgeon's office last Wednesday, May 2nd to find out if the insurance had been approved and was transferred to the scheduler for his office. She said that I just had to give her the date that I wanted for surgery and that she would confirm it with the hospital and that was it. Now I feel like I was waiting in vain for some phantom approval -- glad I called!

I'm scheduled for my daVinci hysterectomy on Monday, May 21. She said I would get a bill for the doctor's fee upfront and that I would get the hospital bill, after my surgery.

I'm wondering if the fact that I have a HDHP (high-deductible health plan) means anything.

But I'm glad I finally have a date! Really glad.
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM

I have a $2500. Deductible with me paying 20% after that. I did have an out of pocket cap of $5,000. My husbands job gave him a pre paid credit card with about $1,000 on it for the deductible. With dr visits I had met my deductible but time of surgery my out of pocket expense was about $2000. A couple of days before surgery I paid about $700 ( what was left on pre paid card). I told hospital staff I would write a check morning of surgery but they never asked and I did not even think about it that day. I guess they will bill me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register