Scheduled TLH New here, really unsure about recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, really unsure about recovery time New here, really unsure about recovery time

Unread 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM
New here, really unsure about recovery time

Hi
My surgeon has said that recovery is super quick after a TLH, but I don't really buy the "one of my clients went back to work after 2 days" thang!
I'd be so grateful for some advice, as I have four kids to herd, and don't have any idea when I'll be able to drive, lift or anything. If I don't work, I don't get paid, but my job is pretty demanding. Physically and emotionally.
I'm also pretty worried about what he'll find, as I have atypical complex endometrial hyperplasia, but because the surgeon was so blase my partner is finding my worries abut having cancer again (had breast cancer 8 yrs ago) somewhat incomprehensible. I'm on a bit of a rollercoaster - optimistic one minute, and panicked about having to deal with more cancer.
Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Re: New here, really unsure about recovery time

I had daVinci and that's supposed to be less invasive than what your having. That quick recovery stuff is nonsense!! I am 3 weeks post op and in no shape to even go to the store, let alone the office. I spend a lot of my down time reading the post op recovery threads here on hystersisters ( It might help you to read some and get an idea of how we all heal at different rates) . I have found that all women are different. It does not matter which surgery we had, we all have the same things to heal inside. Most women are not allowed to drive for 2 weeks. Most are not allowed to lift over 5 lbs for several weeks.How old are your kids? You need to plan on help for several weeks. If you find later you don't need it you can cancel it. It is better to have help lined up and not need it as long than it is to need more help and not be able to get it later.I have not run across one lady that was fine in 2 days, and I've read thousands of stories on this website.
If you and your partner are not comfortable with you surgeon you may want to consider getting a second opinion from a doctor your comfortable with. It may postpone your surgery a bit, but comfort in your doctor is very important.
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM

If you are having a TLH that means you will be having your cervix removed which increases your recovery time. Even though you won't have many stitches/incisions on the outside you still have the same number of incisions on the inside tha need to heal. Typically you have bending, lifting, pushing and driving restrictions and no sex for 6-8 weeks. If you are having a LSH and keeping your cervix your recovery time willl probably be shorter.

Read the hysterectomy check points for pre-op questions and preparation hints. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 06:48 AM

Hi!
Thanks so much for your replies - I did think that the recovery was being a little glossed over
A second opinion is really hard where I live, the only private gynae/oncologist that I could go to is my state funded surgeon. Although he's a bit "there there dearie" he is a really skilled surgeon and my only chance of having the op laparoscopically.
I'm keeping my ovaries, but I don't know how sensible it would be to keep my cervix, given the risk of endometrial cancer?
Thanks too for the advice re. help with the kids - its the mummytaxi they'll miss!
I apologise if it isn't ok to mention the kids, I was a bit unsure about that after reading the posting guidelines - but their care is a major worry to me of course ...
Thanks again
X
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Talk to your doctor about the cervix. Mine wouldn't even consider ,leaving it.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM

I had DvH which is less invasive that TLH. I had a relatively painless recovery and was able to go back to work on Day 8 for a few hours/3 days a week but I have a desk job and my coworkers would not let me out of my seat and picked up the slack. They were wonderful! Two days??? Not a chance. That client must have been superwoman. I still couldn't get off the couch or bed by myself. Even Day 8 was pushing it but when you run a business you really don't have much of a choice. Riding in the car was very uncomfortable and made me sore.

Regardless of which type of surgery you have the rules are the same. No lifting, bending, twisting, vacuuming, etc for 6-8 weeks. Don't try to rush your recovery. You only get one chance to heal right and you don't want to set yourself back weeks or even months. Good luck!

Unread 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM

It's okay to mention kids but give a warning in the thread title. I went back to work at 5 weeks post op from my LAVH. It is important to remember we are all different and heal at our own pace.
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:18 PM

I had DvH on Tuesday and overall I feel awesome. All of my bad symptoms are gone and I'm not taking anything for pain management. But I'm only 35 and I am getting really tired easily. Judging how I feel right now, I'd say I'd need 2 and a half weeks off of work at the least but that 4 weeks would be ideal.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:52 AM

Thanks SO much to you all for your wise advice. Loved the ROFL smiley, Raven!
Speedy healing to all who have had recent surgery ... so glad you're healing well Abagayle.

Again, apologies to anyone I may have completely inadvertantly upset
XXX
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:07 AM

I am 4 days post op, and really dont feel a need for pain meds. I am taking the ibuprofin for the swelling, and it does ache when I have to pass gas or make a bm. I am on a stool softener, and had no problems urninating, and had a bm two days post op.
I am feeling great and have to remind myself to sit and rest. I watch tv, and sit with the lap top and rest. I notice that all of the sudden I am wiped out and can take a 2-4 hour nap!
I am glad I can rest.
Tomorrow if I feel up to it, my husband will take me out to eat. I just did not feel like getting dressed today. The perk?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register