Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic?  Back to work in 2 weeks? Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Re: Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Folks like us in healthcare are always putting our patients and job responsibilities ahead of our health. No its not convenient to be short staffed and have patients arriving but to write someone up for excessive absences related to medical leaves is ridiculous if not cause for federal review of employment practices.

I've delayed my surgery for seven years due to concerns about being off work but I've had to shake it off and know I'm doing what's best for my health. If a doctor's office can't be understanding of the medical need for a long term employee to be off to heal then maybe you should start looking for other employment. Doesn't sound like a good place to work. Maybe your newly improved health will give you the strength to decide if this really is a good employment fit. The way folks treat you when you are most vulnerable is often very telling. Best of luck with everything and I hope you take the time you need to heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone,this place is a godsend maybe after surgery I will just tell my boss he recommended 4 wks.Then if I need the time I have it and if not I look like super women..lol
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM

O..and the previous surgery that I had I did not take leave because returned softly after surgery.prob should have and just took the full time I was allowed..lol..I got wrote up anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM

I am 17 days post op today from dvH. Everything gone except for my overies. There is absolutely NO Way I could go back to work in 2 weeks. I was also one of those who thought I'd be off 2 -3 weeks. This is major surgery no matter how they do, the surgery is still the same on the inside. I am not returning to work until 6 weeks. You are exhausted after this surgery. I just couldn't imagine.
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Did you tell your work 2 to 3 wks at first?
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Ladies,were you surgeries in or out pt?
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:22 PM

I was first case on Thursday, my surgery to almost five hours due an extremely huge 11.6lb uterus and I was home Friday at about 1pm. I stayed in bed until dinner and then they sat me up on the side bed for a bit. I began walking the halls in the middle of the night, it really helped get the gas moving-it's pretty uncomfortable when it just sits. I'm glad I stayed overnight. I wasn't ready to go home that evening. I might have been if I hadn't just had a fibroid apartment house removed from me. It seems most of the lap/dVh ladies stay overnight (23hrs or less).
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleta30 View Post
I am I suppose.I am going to take FMLA but I live in tn and is right to fire state don't really have to give a reason.I may be worried over nothibg,just going from past.
It is a big deal to them that I'm out because we are a very busy office and have all been there for years so few of us due lots.If someone is out it really makes a differance,and that makes me feel bad as well
The amount of time your surgeon signs off on should have absolutely NOTHING to do with how busy your office is and how bad they need you. That is not an issue. They can easily hire a temp for 2 months if need be.If your doctor says you can have 6-8 weeks then your boss can't do anything about it. If they fire you, that's illegal. Unless you had a cushy desk job, 2 weeks is unrealistic. Driving an hour each way could be enough to wear you out before you even add in your busy strenuous job.Your going to still be very tired at 2 weeks post op, even if your not in pain. I read posts very rarely of sisters that could go back to a job like yours in 2 weeks. The majority of women can't. Be careful not to back yourself into a corner.Better to have more time than you need off and go back early, than not have enough time off and have to go back before your able to.You said earlier your time off is already SET IN STONE! That is not true. Your boss can not expect you to look into a crystal bell pre op and assume you'll have no complications and also heal much faster than then average hyster patient. That's unrealistic. It isn't set in stone until your doctor clears you. Please listen to the majority and not assume you'll be the super fast healer, just in case your wrong.

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks,I wish I would have not said anything at all yet but when I asked my doctor he said 2 wks so I went with it.When I think about it though..when I had my hemrroidetomy that doctor said 2 wks to and 3 months later I was still hating life.At that time I attributed it to a medication I was taken called avastin for my occular histoplasmosis which can cause slower healing times.Every surgery I have had I returned quickly partial due to pressure but also guilt and fiancial reasons.I just guessed this would of been the same.When I do take my FLMA is that set in stone or can it be extended past the 2 wks? I have never done before so not really sure how it works.
And again I really thank all you ladies from the bottom of my heart.Everything just seems so horrible for the last 3 months.It started with a cyst and heavy periods that I thought that " a simple ablasion" would be my cure all and has turned into a living nightmare after dealing with a surgeon who worked on me treating me like a crazy drug seeker and blowing me off because by him all of my gyno issues were solved.To now I'm,having a hysterectomy in 2 wks and 6 days which is horrible timing and I can't really afford,but what do you do?
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't know about FMLA. I would research it. I'd assume maybe fill it out with THE MAXIMUM time off and then if you go back early it's no big deal. I think even 4 weeks is pushing it for your kind of work. I'd push your doctor for 6-8 weeks, then go back early if you can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register