Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic?  Back to work in 2 weeks? Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Unread 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Re: Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

My doctor said if I had to, 2 weeks desk job would be approved when I told him my company had massive layoffs. However, that was back in early March. Now that those have been done and I filled out my FMLA, I called back and said they had approved 3 weeks. He said that was more reasonable. Since we have no sick leave at my company and have to use vacation for two weeks before short term disability kicks in, I plan to take the full three weeks since I won't have any more time off essentially for the rest of the year. Hopefully I will feel fine after 3 weeks!!!! My boss has been awesome and says take as long as you need...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM

geez. Today is 2 weeks since my Da Vinci, and although Im able to move around pretty easily, each day around 6 p.m., My insides begin to ache, and I have loads of pressure right above my pubic bone, which turns into slight pain and discomfort. Im already experiencing hot flashes, and as I like to call them "***** flashes", and my doc seems to be hesitant to prescribe more pain meds. Ibuprofen isn 't useless, but it also doesnt provide nearly the same relief I get from Hydrocodone, and I only take them as prescribed. A I the only one still needing pain meds at two weeks post? I feel like my doc thinks I should be okay with the otc pain meds, and Im almost afraid tomask for a refill.
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

If you feel you need it..ask..all they can do is tell you no.Everyone heals and feels pain different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwife View Post
geez. Today is 2 weeks since my Da Vinci, and although Im able to move around pretty easily, each day around 6 p.m., My insides begin to ache, and I have loads of pressure right above my pubic bone, which turns into slight pain and discomfort. Im already experiencing hot flashes, and as I like to call them "***** flashes", and my doc seems to be hesitant to prescribe more pain meds. Ibuprofen isn 't useless, but it also doesnt provide nearly the same relief I get from Hydrocodone, and I only take them as prescribed. A I the only one still needing pain meds at two weeks post? I feel like my doc thinks I should be okay with the otc pain meds, and Im almost afraid tomask for a refill.
I am almost 4 weeks post op and just stopped taking prescription pain meds every 6 hours 3 days ago. I am now only taking motrin, except still take 1 pain pill at about 9Pm as nights get bad for me.

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Totally understood, Glucksburg!! Hubby going for an interview 5 hrs. away, so I am gonna venture and 'ride' w/ him and visit some of the local attractions in Savannah.... I will take it slow.. but feel guilty... We can stop and such when I need to... a 2 1/2 day getaway, may just be what this DR. (me) needs... lol... hang in there... 3 weeks ago, I was just recovering.. today.. up and about.. and feeling good!!!! Work in 2 1/2 weeks....
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

[quote=cathb911;3750021]I am almost 4 weeks post op and just stopped taking prescription pain meds every 6 hours 3 days ago. I am now only taking motrin, except still take 1 pain pill at about 9Pm as nights get bad for me.

Thanks for that.... I spoke to my doc and she said she is going to refill my med, and told me to stay in bed, that I'm doing too much. Now to peruse my options for hormone replacement..
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Wynnwife I'm at day 12 today and am still taking painkillers too. I have 800mg Ibprophen and Percocet. I alternated between them after week one, as directed but for sure Ibprophen doesn't offer the same amount of pain relief. Used to be when I took one or two over the counter Ibprophen for menstrual cramps I was good to go, not now.

I don't have to take them to 'stay on top of the pain' like I did in the beginning but am still taking them as prescribed (no more than every ... hours) as needed.

As I wrote in another thread the 800mg Ibprophen wasn't enough to deal with the pain alone but I tried to tough it out instead of taking the Percocet. Silly me. I ended up waking up several times and having nightmares about bleeding profusely (I wasn't).

I've learned my lesson. I am not abusing drugs by taking them under a doctor's watch when I am feeling pain after major surgery. I want to be off them and feel like myself again. But for now I'm taking them when there is pain.

My husband is a nurse practitioner, he said pain increases stress which lowers the effectiveness of our body's healing.
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Also in terms of work off I was feeling really confident I'd be out for two weeks and back right after my 14 day post-op. I love my job. Not anymore. I do great around the house but when I went to the salon (husband driving) and then in the grocery store only to select a magazine, the pain hit hard. Holy cow.

Now I'm wondering if the third week is going to be enough. I have a desk job. But when I'm back I'll need to be able to travel on a moment's notice. I will be talking with my doctor Tuesday.
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM

PacificNW,which surgery did you have? Please keep me updated on your return to work.I know everyone is diff but like to hear others stories.I'm really worried bout this 2 wk time frame I have gave myself and feel trapped in it,but I guess if I'm not ready I'm just not ready.Hopefully though I can and I hope you start to feel better soon ((hugs))
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharona19 View Post
I have yet to see a post from a da Vinci sister who was truly recovered enough to return to work in 2 weeks with no issues. That being said, everyone heals differnetly and I suppose there have been sisters who bounced back just like that. I would also suppose that leaving your cervix does make for an "easier" recovery as there is no vaginal cuff to heal. I had a da Vinci with everything removed and needed every one of the six weeks I was off and then I was only released to work part time for the next two weeks. The pain does get better as time goes on of course, but at the three week mark, we all seem to hit a wall and take a step back in recovery and need to take it extra easy. There are several threads on the fact that laporoscopic and robotic surgeries are advertised as requiring little to no recovery time. This is extremely misleading. This is major surgery with the only differences being the incisions needed to get in. It's all the same internally. The post op fatigue alone is intense let alone any pain you might have. I was on narcs for five days and could not have driven a car until off of them. I did not drive until my first post op at three weeks. I was midly uncomfortable, but it was the involuntary tensing up that was the biggest stressor. I would read a bit more about recovery times from ladies who had the same surgery and plan for more time off. If you don't need it, great but if you do you will glad it's there. Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I had my da Vinci on April 27 at 1 pm out of hosp at 10 am next day was shopping by post op day four. Feel like I could easily go back to work on Monday ( have a desk job) but the boss won't let me. I think I have been extremely fortunate in my recovery partially due to being in good shape and taking care of myself prior, partially to my docs skills. Doctor gave me a 10 lb lifting restriction and told me to just listen to my body. It almost scaresr how great I feel full of energy no naps since 1 day post op sleeping thru the night, regular BMs , maybe he just poked holes in my belly and forgot to take anything out ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register