Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic?  Back to work in 2 weeks? Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Unread 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Wynnwife I'm at day 12 today and am still taking painkillers too. I have 800mg Ibprophen and Percocet. I alternated between them after week one, as directed but for sure Ibprophen doesn't offer the same amount of pain relief. Used to be when I took one or two over the counter Ibprophen for menstrual cramps I was good to go, not now.

I don't have to take them to 'stay on top of the pain' like I did in the beginning but am still taking them as prescribed (no more than every ... hours) as needed.

As I wrote in another thread the 800mg Ibprophen wasn't enough to deal with the pain alone but I tried to tough it out instead of taking the Percocet. Silly me. I ended up waking up several times and having nightmares about bleeding profusely (I wasn't).

I've learned my lesson. I am not abusing drugs by taking them under a doctor's watch when I am feeling pain after major surgery. I want to be off them and feel like myself again. But for now I'm taking them when there is pain.

My husband is a nurse practitioner, he said pain increases stress which lowers the effectiveness of our body's healing.
Yeah...Ive got a desk job too, and was really hoping to get the okay to go back after 2 weeks, but doc said I need at least another 2 weeks. I have an infection ( she said I have an inflamed pelvic floor) so more rest it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Rulaw2, congrats on your great experience! There certainly have to be ladies who have your type of remarkable recovery or they wouldn't advertise it like they do. I was absolutely certain that I would be back in two weeks as well. I'm healthy and always bounce back quickly, but my recovery was not a two weeker. I had no complications, it just took me the whole six weeks +. My job also wanted me to be off so as not to mess with my FMLA. I'm sure that you will agree with me that, based on the posts here, that your recovery experience is not the norm. It does show the wide variety of experiences we all have though. I'm glad you are able to post your part of the curve. It's nice to hear it from a sister and not from the da Vinci flyer. This is most definitely the best thing I've done for my health and I would not change a thing that I've done. Did you also have an everything out procedure? How much time will you take off? Please keep us informed on how your return to work goes. I wish you the best
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Hi aleta30! Here's your best defense against crazy employer expectations: your doctor!

I have a co-worker with a different issue. He studied the Americans with Disabilities Act and said an employer can't make a medical call, like what you are capable of doing based on your medical condition. Now neither he nor I are attorneys (talk with one if you need to!) and you may not live in the U.S. but it does bring up a good point, your boss will take your doctor's opinion more seriously than yours.

At my company my doctor is expected to fill out a form to tell them when I should go back and what the conditions of my work need to be (modified equipment, that kind of thing). Talk with your doctor about what you're experiencing, I'll bet they'll be in your corner to do the right thing by your long-term health!

Then let your doctor advocate for your health to your employer with a written note or whatever the protocol is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Actually,I have been presently surprised over the last week everyone seems to be being pretty supportive I asked office manager Friday for FMLA papers and short term disability.She got the ball rolling on my short term but is not familiar with FMLA paperwork.She said if only for my job protection was not needed and that they understand my situation and need to get it taken care of( let me add she is not familiar because she is Dr wife and actually a retired Dr herself but can't stand not working so she is no office manager)So ladies,I have a new question.Is FMLA only for job protection? I have personally never had to use before so I'm not familiar myself.I also mentioned while I was speaking with her that it was a minimum of two werks,so guess I will just see what all has to be done before asking my doctor exactly how long I should be off.I truly hope I am one of the lucky ones because we do have a new girl starting and I like my fellow nurses and hate the thought of leaving them soft handed
I'm also very depressed today.I have a new pain and it feels like previous cyst in lower right quadrant.I was really hoping to keep that ovary(since its the only one I have left)and just has me on edge.I hate this waiting around it is driving me crazy.11 days and counting
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM

I am afraid I have the wrong doctor. He said he should or probably would be able to release me at two weeks, whereas it is my manager that does not want me earlier than 4 weeks. I worry about that struggle when I go for my two week checkup. I don't want to lose my FMLA if he thinks I should go back to work and my body is saying give me more time.
When I spoke to his medical office mgr she said it would be up to him to decide whether to release me or not. I told her I hoped he based it on my health, not his "stats" in returning women to work asap. I also asked if he lay in bed with the insurance company, she claims no. I just had a job interview two days before my surgery for a promotion to supervisor, so I have to be ready for work when I go back.
Guess, I shall not worry about it yet. Chill the next two weeks and just talk to the dr then, see how I feel.
Kudos to Sharona19 and her note about how we all recover differently. Amen to that. Just like we all gave birth or endured labor differently, our recovery is going to be different and similar in other ways. We are all blessed to have found this wonderful site to share and learn and lean on each other. Thanks sisters...it truly feels good to have each other. may everyone have a peaceful night.

Hugs!!
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharona19 View Post
Rulaw2, congrats on your great experience! There certainly have to be ladies who have your type of remarkable recovery or they wouldn't advertise it like they do. I was absolutely certain that I would be back in two weeks as well. I'm healthy and always bounce back quickly, but my recovery was not a two weeker. I had no complications, it just took me the whole six weeks +. My job also wanted me to be off so as not to mess with my FMLA. I'm sure that you will agree with me that, based on the posts here, that your recovery experience is not the norm. It does show the wide variety of experiences we all have though. I'm glad you are able to post your part of the curve. It's nice to hear it from a sister and not from the da Vinci flyer. This is most definitely the best thing I've done for my health and I would not change a thing that I've done. Did you also have an everything out procedure? How much time will you take off? Please keep us informed on how your return to work goes. I wish you the best
I totally agree to the point that I am scared at how great I am doing lol I have to say I sure that the fact that I have never had kids or been married makes life easier at a time like this ie I don't have anyone else to worry about dr took uterus and cervix left tubes and ovaries as they looked good and even though I am 45 my hormone panels were not even " peri menopausal " I plan to take next week off work and barring any complications go back to work the next Monday. I am fiercely independent and broke down in tears today cause I had to ask someone to mow my lawn... I am not good a that part I don't think that anyone should base their recovery on others as we are all so different . My workout buddy had a lap procedure 2 yrs ago and she is way more hard core than me and was down for 2 weeks solid
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laroja View Post
I am afraid I have the wrong doctor. He said he should or probably would be able to release me at two weeks, whereas it is my manager that does not want me earlier than 4 weeks. I worry about that struggle when I go for my two week checkup.

Hugs!!
Laroja,

Sounds like a second opinion might be what you need.

Doctors are not gods, they can be very fallible.

Was your surgeon a gynecologist who does surgery a couple times a month? They're not as knowledgable as someone who does nothing but this kind of surgery and sees a lot more variety. That's one example.

I interviewed three different surgeons and they were are all over the place in terms of experience and ability to hear a patient. The most expensive doctor had the worst manner and even gave incorrect information - she said my constipation and gas had nothing to do with the fibroid and refused to do an exam unless I chose her as the surgeon. The surgeon I chose examined me and exclaimed: "How have you been able to poop?! This fibroid is sitting on your rectum!"

Do you know any nurses? They often are great sources for doctor recommendations. Maybe a HysterSister in your area would have a recommendation?
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM

PacificNW,

I should have gone for the 2nd opinion before the surgery, but, I have two friends that were operated by him and loved him. He knows his stuff surgery wise, I think he is just "male" enough to keep him from understanding that some women need more time than others. I really don't want to fret about it at this point, because I will lose my sleep worrying...he has no reason to push it, he won't be paying me for time off. I have good insurance and have no reason to rush back to work. I am a hard worker and always work overtime, so I need to be back in shape before tackling my job.
My neighbor is a nurse, I know she will help me if it comes down to that.
Thanks for your advice, will think about that.
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM

FMLA law says your boss has to give you time off for sickness with NO consequence whatsoever. Once you file FMLA he can't even ask why you are off. You have protected privacy for your medical problem and company will get in big time trouble if they give you a bad time in any way,shape, or form.
I encourage you to check in to it!
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:12 AM

I guess I was a good recovery as well. I was walking a mile a day at one week and four miles at four weeks. I'm a baby about pain but only needed a total of ten percocets before I stopped those. I had LSH with both ovaries out, retained cervix (53 yr old, functioning ovaries, no menopause - now on HRT). I am a huge believer in walking. I was told you cannot walk too much if you are listening to your body and pay attention when it says enough.
I was fit going into surgery -- as fit as one can be at half the normal red blood cells and carrying a baseball size polyp. I am terrified of hospitals, but My doc told me this would be a wonderful outcome and it has been. Free from anemia, pain, and endless periods. Amen! For nervous nellys like me, I would recommend a book I found anout ten days before the operation: Preparing for Surgery. It did a lot towards helping me get my fear controlled and thus release the stress and the bad things stress does to healing. Anyway, I went back to my physical job part time at two weeks, then full time on week three. I needed to rest awhile each of those days in the first month. This surgery was a miracle for me. I am now preparing to run my first 10K race in three weeks time, just short of four months post op. Healing takes different amounts of time for each person but know and believe in how much better you will feel in a few short weeks!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register