Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic?  Back to work in 2 weeks? Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

Unread 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Re: Is recovery the same for the LSH as robotic? Back to work in 2 weeks?

My surgery was one week ago and I feel pretty good overall. I only feel pain if I accidentally twist, get up too fast, or walk too much. I get up each day and take a shower and get dressed which helps. Then I work on my "piles" of paperwork or watch tv or play on the computer and by 1pm I am exhausted! I am definitely going to take this whole week and probably most of next week off if not more. I know this is my only chance to heal but have to tell myself twenty times a day that my work is okay without me and that it will all be there when I go back. I am lucky to have sick days so I am not feeling financially stressed about this but didn't expect to feel "so good and so not so good" at the same time. Weird. I hope my sisters out there are taking it as easy as possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Hi Laroja,

I'm so glad to hear you have confidence he'll listen to you. Didn't intend to give you one more thing to stress over!
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm at day 13 today and this is the third work week I'm away (was in work Monday, surgery on Tuesday) which feels really weird!

Only one Ibprophen needed for discomfort but wow, I cannot get enough sleep! Day and night. And today I can't blame it on narcotics, so interesting how this goes.

I just spoke with a friend who has been through many surgeries and she said, "Just sleep. You'll wake up one day and know when you've turned a corner and will feel ready to go out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Oh no, I don't have confidence that he will listen to me...I am "hoping" he will. But, I can't see how changing doctors after the surgery would have any effect. I got a call from the Hartford today,(our fmla) and they said I was approved off through may 30th. They said unless something changed and I needed more time off, to let them know. So, that means they have gotten my records from the Dr's office so far..and it is approved. So, when I do go in on the 17th, I am going to tell him that I am better, but, need more time to heal, and I expect he will listen to me..I can't see why he wouldn't...what is it to him to release me sooner than I need to be. So, I did think if I had to go to another Dr., I would go to my PCP and ask him to back me up..I figured he would..but..would the Hartford accept his report? Questions, without answers for now. I just don't want to lose sleep over it for now..hoping it will all work out in the end. Can only hope for the best. But, thank you PacificNW...I do appreciate your thoughts.
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laroja View Post
Oh no, I don't have confidence that he will listen to me...I am "hoping" he will. But, I can't see how changing doctors after the surgery would have any effect. I got a call from the Hartford today,(our fmla) and they said I was approved off through may 30th. They said unless something changed and I needed more time off, to let them know. So, that means they have gotten my records from the Dr's office so far..and it is approved. So, when I do go in on the 17th, I am going to tell him that I am better, but, need more time to heal, and I expect he will listen to me..I can't see why he wouldn't...what is it to him to release me sooner than I need to be. So, I did think if I had to go to another Dr., I would go to my PCP and ask him to back me up..I figured he would..but..would the Hartford accept his report? Questions, without answers for now. I just don't want to lose sleep over it for now..hoping it will all work out in the end. Can only hope for the best. But, thank you PacificNW...I do appreciate your thoughts.
I too stressed over my Dr releasing me too early until I went to my 2wk post op appt. He wasn't even thinking about my going to work and said I could do so when I was ready. I told him I was taking the full 6 wks and he was ok with that. I'm glad I did instead of the 3 wks I thought I'd do before the surgery. I had no Idea I would feel like a Mack truck hit me after the surgery and the exhaustion. If the original paperwork said 6 wks then you should be fine. My job only requires a note from the Dr stating I can return.
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Hi Aleta,
I just wanted to lend my support-I too work in healtcare and have been written up for ridiculous reasons for excessive absence. I am taking FMLA- not sure how it works in TN but in NJ we have 12 weeks. You may also be able to take disability. That will pay you while FMLA protects your job. It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your job. Give yourself plenty of time to heal-it is not worth your life to go back too early. We are a society that is told that taking time off from work is wrong. I say this is nonsense!
I have a tentative surgery on 6/28 and I have been suffering for almost 15 years. My boss is not happy that I will be out and even threatened me, but so what! Your health comes first. Please remember that.
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Laroja, there will probably be no problem from your doctor taking the time you feel you need.

I'm still puzzling what this '2 week' recovery doctor's talk about, it seems that very few HysterSisters can do that. So far everyone has gotten the support they need from doctors so chances are you will too.

If for some odd reason he wouldn't, making a call to your GP to get advice sounds like a great plan.
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanks, I will, if needed.
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM

I agree about the 2 wk thing being non sense.Why not just say a month and then if better sooner we look like super women..lol...thanks for the support crazycatlady
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleta30 View Post
I agree about the 2 wk thing being non sense.Why not just say a month and then if better sooner we look like super women..lol...thanks for the support crazycatlady
You're very welcome. I intend to take every minute I can. Don't sell yourself short.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register