Control issues... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Control issues... Control issues...

Unread 01-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Control issues...

I'm one of those people who has got to be in control (or at least feel as if I'm in control) of all aspects of my life.

As the surgery date approaches I'm starting to obsess over being put under anesthesia; having a team of strangers (well trained, but strangers nonetheless) in control of my life for a few hours. Hell, I rarely even relinquish my car keys to my sweetie!

Considering an epidural is out of the question as the thought of that freaks me even more!

Has or does anyone else share this feeling with me? What have you done to put it further back in your mind?

Carole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Control issues...

Hi Carole...I think you are going through that time when many of us "freak out" with all kinds of fears and imaginations running through our minds. It happened to me too. Other than staying busy and thinking about how many people go under general anesthesia every day and everything comes out just fine and praying, I don't know that there is a whole lot else you can do. Try to occupy your mind with other things. I also prepared myself for the surgery by pampering myself. Got my nails done, had a pedicure, went to the hairdresser and I spent alot of time preparing my bedroom. I bought new sheets, filled bowls with potpourri, put candles around the room and filled a basket with new magazines and books to read during recovery. For me this was fun and took my mind off the surgery and relieved my mind a little about my recovery period too.

I guess whatever helps you...whatever relaxes you.

Sending s to you.

Sherry
Unread 01-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey Carole

Sherry is right this is that time in every woman's surgery that we totally "freak out". don't let it get you down. Being put to sleep kept me from having this surgery years ago. I dreaded only that and in those years I also developed acute asthma. Partlly I found out was due to my female problems. Not enough estrogen I think was the culprit. Anyway just keep thinking about all the time you will be in control. for the few hours you will be out let a person trained to do just that take care of you. I associate it with the birth of my son. He wanted here and fast so he controlled my body for the 4 hours I was in labor. Why not let a person trained to control you at that time do it for you. Hey my son was not old enough to be in control but he was . God Bless and send up those he will listen. Of course you will be in my I send up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Control issues...

You only mentioned an epidural as an alternative to general- have you considered a spinal? An epidural, as you probably know, stays in for the entire time you are in the hospital. The spinal numbs you during the surgery, and you can be numb for many hours after. But you can have sedation with the spinal ,and that's a big plus.

I really understand the control issue. I was really scared of general even though I had it before with no problem. It's so much safer today than even 10-20 years ago. I had spinal with csection, but no sedation. I wanted to have a spinal with the hyst just because general made me feel out control. For some reason there was difficulty with the spinal and it was taking a long time. They put me under, but I was already well sedated by then and didn't really care . It worked out just fine.

As far as the surgical team being strangers- often you do meet the anesthesioligt at the pre-opt. You probably know your gyn well- did he/she say who would be the assisting gyn? (there always is another one.) In my case the "assist" was the head of the hospital's OB GYN dept, who had a lot of experience. My
doctor told me a lot about his "team" and why he had so much confidence in them. Perhaps that will help.
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:43 AM
Control issues...

Carole,

From one control freak to another, let me tell you I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND your feelings about anesthesia and having someone in control of your life for that period of time. While I don't have any answers for you, I can tell you what has personally worked for me when I've had to have a general anesthesia twice in the past three years and now for my upcoming hyst in Feb. I concentrate and meditate on an image of God and all that He is in my life, in all our lives. I imagine myself being held in the hand of God, safely throughout the operation. I know that may sound trite and canned, but truly, for me learning to meditate and get somewhat outside my feelings of fear has really helped me. Whatever you recognize as your higher power can be your focus. Good luck to you, Carole! The women here are a wealth of support and I'm sure you'll have other suggestions to help you along.
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm with you!

Hi Carole

I am so with you on this one. I have a very difficult time giving up control of any aspect of my life which is one reason I have decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy. Right now, I am not in control of my body, it is controlling me. The thought of taking back control is really helping me get through all the other issues.

I have had way too many surgeries so the thought of going under anesthesia isn't an issue for me but the thought that I am going to be down for even a week leaves me fighting to get everything into place for my husband and five children. Dinners fixed in the freezer, carpools set up, visits to friends and relatives arranged. I also spent an evening trying to get my things in order to take to the hospital and for my recovery period. I have plenty of Gas-x at the recommendation of many women on this site (although I will be checking with doc first to make sure that's ok) I bought new sheets, a heating pad, chapstick and some pads to help me get through recovery. I figure if I can be in control of how things go before and after the surgery then I am doing all I can.

Ok, so I've been accused of being obsessive but this is how I have to work it to survive the wait and appease the side of me screaming for control. Good luck.
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Control issues...

I made myself realize I really was in control...

- I had the control to find a dr that I felt comfortable trusting
- I had the control to take back my life and get rid of all the pain & bleeding that had been controlling me.

Hopefully, you can concentrate on all the aspects you will also feel in control.
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:42 PM
Control issues...

Thank you all for your gems of wisdom. Just venting my thoughts in the open has allayed some of my concerns.

Reading through the threads helps me feel I'm not unusual in my feelings and I won't be as concerned when my thoughts turn to another aspect of the surgery and recovery. It's part and parcel of taking such a big step. I'll let the feelings come on, not over think and try to relax.

hugs to you all!
Carole
Unread 01-18-2002, 03:00 AM
Control

Hehehe CONTROL
I am one of the most controlling people you will ever know.... and am still continuing to control. As was stated in a post, I am taking control of getting rid of not just bleeding every month but hemorrhaging...and not being in pain. Now with THAT said... going into the OR scares the hell outta me... Being an X nurse, I wanna know EVERYONE who is going to be in the OR... I wanna know the doctors credentials etc... BOTH doctors; the surgeon I picked ( which I already do know), and the anestheologist. It is making me crazy I don't know the anestheologists where I am having the surgery... at least when I was working as a nurse, I had some friends who worked in the OR & could recommend. What is also scary to me is that I can't predict or control any possibe complications that may happen... oh and believe me, I KNOW all the possibe complications that could potentially go wrong... lol I surf the medical information on the internet about my pending surgery :-) But also from working as a nurse whose speciality was OB/GYN, I KNOW... But ya know what I am one of those patients who wants those around me to KNOW I KNOW what is happening around me ( I use to hate patients like me, lol I am not mean or nasty, just informed). To me, ignorance isn't always bliss... ask alot of questions, make yourself as knowledgeable as possibe...And, best of luck to all my hyster sisters out there.
Divinity
Unread 01-18-2002, 05:45 AM
Control issues...

Divinity...

see, *that's* what I mean - lol

C

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register