Scheduled TAH starting online classes with LU 4 weeks after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

starting online classes with LU 4 weeks after surgery starting online classes with LU 4 weeks after surgery

Unread 04-27-2012, 07:38 PM
starting online classes with LU 4 weeks after surgery

I am starting working on my BS in psychology, online, 4 weeks after my surgery. I would like to know if anyone else did this and if they were successful.

I am working on a deadline, so it's pretty much now or never.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Re: starting online classes with LU 4 weeks after surgery

I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op. My brain just started coming out of " the fog". I have taken online classes in the past, and I think by 4 weeks it is do able. AS long as you pace yourself and leave plenty of time to rest in between computer time. You'll want to get up and walk around often too.I started working from home online this past week, at first it was taking me 3 hours to do what I normally could do in 15 minutes. I had lack of concentration and focus issues. As I near week 4 my brain is improving . I think online classes is a good way for you to recover after 4 weeks. It will keep you down, and able to follow all your post op restrictions so you can continue to heal. See if they will deliver your books to your home. Your not going to be in any shape to go to a bookstore and carry heavy books.Also have all supplies organized and ready in your home before surgery if you can. The first 3 weeks post op you won't be mentally organized enough most likely to gather what you'll be needing.
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Great question. i am in the midst of my dissertation and taking additional classes for a work promotion. I plan on letting my professors know that I may not check in as regular as I would if I were 100% but promise to make up all of the work missed.

I never thought about this thank you for asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Thank you ladies. I will make sure I inform my professors. They say there is no minimum of checking in, just as long as you check in once to pick up the assignments, and once again to turn in the assignments.

I will have to check on the book situation

I've been a substance abuse counselor and administrator for a long time, but when I had to resign to help my DH after he broke his back, I essentially took myself out of the workforce. Even though I have the degree, the field is really saturated.. So I figured I'd revert to my original plans, which were waylaid after my last hubby died and my dad was murdered, and shoot for my doctorate in psychology.

So, I'll be close to 60 when I complete it, probably, but, hey, why not?
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Fall semester (BSN) had just barely started when I had my LSH. My course was all online and I was taking three classes; I did as much work as I could ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry about deadlines while I was in the first few post-op days. It worked out very well for me. I was back to doing school work on about post-op day 5 without any problems -- I was off the narcotics by then so wasn't foggy-brained or anything. It can definitely be done!! Best wishes for you!!
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM

awesome Tango - thanks
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Good for you Doctor Grannycat!!
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM

LOL cath... thank you, and hugs
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM

I'm 4 days post-op and my brain fog from the anesthesia just now lifted enough for me to respond to a few posts here. My cognative skills are greatly impaired still. I can't even keep up with what my kids are up to right now and I usuall have a handle on all 3 with no problem. I'm not taking any narcotics or pain killers so my brain fog is simply the after effects of the anesthesia, but it's intense enough that I wouldn't feel safe being left alone with my kids, so there will probably be about a week where you won't be able to concentrate enough to do the school work.
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Hi Abagayle, That's why I opted to wait for the session 4 weeks after my surgery. I have serious Fibromyalgia which also causes brain fog, also known as fibro-fog. Yeah - I figure the first 2-3 weeks I will not be much good at anything. Thank you for your input.

I will have already lost one semester of prior college work (will be past 10 years since completion) by then. Can't afford to, and don't want to, redo classes I did in my freshman year. That's why I said I'm on a deadline

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register