Scheduled TAH Pre-Op coming up and I am getting kinda scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op coming up and I am getting kinda scared! Pre-Op coming up and I am getting kinda scared!

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Pre-Op coming up and I am getting kinda scared!

Hi Ladies,
I'm new on HysterSister and I am needing some help..
I have pre-op on Monday April 30th 2012 and surgery is on May 7th 2012..
I am 40 years old and I have been having problems for years with my periods..heavy bleeding,clotting,bad cramps,and back pains..Some days couldn't leave the house because I was feeling so bad..I was told for years that this was normal for me..last month I had a period for 14 days..I had to have 2 blood transfusions and my Dr said that I had 3 fibroid tumors in my uterus,the large one is 6cm..He told me that I would have to have an abdominal hysterectomy because my uterus is too large..
I wont lie I am scared to death of this surgery..I'm not sure why!?!
I know I have to do this I want my life back and I just want to be me again!
I have had a surgery before to remove my left thyroid due to tumors so I can't figure out why I am so scared now..
I dont know what I can do to stop feeling this way..I have done alot of reading on what I am about to go thru..and understand what to expect..I have been eating better and have slowed down on my smoking to perpare for this..I plan on not smoking after Monday to help during recovery..
Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with my fears..Does anyone or has anyone else felt this way?
I hope I don"t sound like a big baby!..lol
It would mean so much if anyone would be kind enough to offer me some advice or wisdom on this...
I feel blessed to have found HysterSister and all my fellow Sister..
I thank you so much for reading my post..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 02:56 AM
Re: Pre-Op coming up and I am getting kinda scared!

I also am having pre-op on the 30th and surgery on May 4. I am kinda ready to get it over with and scared at the same time. I have read on here where some women have talked to their dr about the anxiety the week before and was given something to help calm their nerves. You might want to ask your Dr. Monday about this. Hope all goes well. I plan on keeping busy to try and keep my mind focused on other things till the time to go in and have surgery.
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:03 AM

I was scared to,and I just prayed,i had surgery on april 3,which kind lapro,or bilateral?
I got cut on my bladder by mistske and had to get it repaired,had,to wear a catherer for 10 days,but,im recovering good,but scared if I might have trouble later,but pray and trust God,

UOTE=TinaMay;3747242]
Hi Ladies,
I'm new on HysterSister and I am needing some help..
I have pre-op on Monday April 30th 2012 and surgery is on May 7th 2012..
I am 40 years old and I have been having problems for years with my periods..heavy bleeding,clotting,bad cramps,and back pains..Some days couldn't leave the house because I was feeling so bad..I was told for years that this was normal for me..last month I had a period for 14 days..I had to have 2 blood transfusions and my Dr said that I had 3 fibroid tumors in my uterus,the large one is 6cm..He told me that I would have to have an abdominal hysterectomy because my uterus is too large..
I wont lie I am scared to death of this surgery..I'm not sure why!?!
I know I have to do this I want my life back and I just want to be me again!
I have had a surgery before to remove my left thyroid due to tumors so I can't figure out why I am so scared now..
I dont know what I can do to stop feeling this way..I have done alot of reading on what I am about to go thru..and understand what to expect..I have been eating better and have slowed down on my smoking to perpare for this..I plan on not smoking after Monday to help during recovery..
Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with my fears..Does anyone or has anyone else felt this way?
I hope I don"t sound like a big baby!..lol
It would mean so much if anyone would be kind enough to offer me some advice or wisdom on this...
I feel blessed to have found HysterSister and all my fellow Sister..
I thank you so much for reading my post..[/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 03:39 AM

I was scared too, but 4 days post-op and I am so happy I did this surgery! Weak as a kitten, unable to do much and still dealing with post-op pain management but the womb pains I had lived with so long before have gone! Its exciting to be on the other side of the surgery, and you will be there too soon. Great to stop smoking - it really helps all aspects of recovery and general health. Don't let anyone undermine your fears, but my advice is to keep yourself busy and prepare as much as possible for your recovery (see other posts here about the 'nesting' that women seem to find themselves doing - I certainly did and am glad for it on this side of the surgery!) Keep talking on here with the sisters - they are such a blessing. collective wisdom and care. precious gifts at this time. Keep us all posted once you go through the pre-op!
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Nervous, anxious, nauseated, constipated, diarherra, laughing, crying, angry-that's a bit of what I felt pre op. All are totally normal. This is a huge, irreversible surgery. For me, I was emotional because I had lost control. I found that I could no longer live with all of the symptoms that my fibroid filled, 12lb uterus assaulted me with. I HAD to have this surgery, it was no longer a choice. On the day of surgery, I was peacefully nervous. Somewhere in the night, I just relaxed. I went from had to have the surgery to needed the surgery. I needed to be pain free and no longer be anemic. I needed to be able to make it through a day without having to change my clothes at 10am because I had bled through 2 super+ tampons(at once) and an overnight pad. I needed to have spontaneous sex without laying down towels and having a wet washcloth near to get clean enough to get to the shower. Just that simple mindset change allowed me to get past the terror of this surgery. I was still nervous sure, but the normal kind not the uptight, crying dysfunctional pooping kind. My surgery was life changing and I have zero regrets about having it. I hope my experience helps you see this surgery in a different light. Good luck to you
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Hello!! I am 10 days post-op. I too was VERY nervous about the surgery.... This was my comfort:
I lie down and sleep. I wake up again because the LORD sustains me.*
Psalm 3:5*
Just remember, you only need to be brave long enough to get the IV!! Haha!! The rest you don't remember! After surgery, I hurt from back pain... But better now! I can't wait until I can be pain free and enjoy life cycle free!!!! Hope the verse helps!!! {hugs}
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Hi Ladies!
Just wanted to thank you all so much for answering my post..
It's helping me so much, I am so blessed to have you all willing to share your thoughts and experiences with me..I really have no words that can tell you how much these messages mean to me!
I promise to keep everyone updated..
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM

You're not being a baby! It is completely normal to be scared! I am 39, I had an abdominal hysterectomy on March 20th. I was ******* petrified, but kept making myself focus on the positive of after it was over. I have never had surgery, never broke anything, no stitches...first time doing anything and it was this. It was actually the day before my return to work day (5 weeks later) that it sank in, what I had been through, and how major it was (being cut open) that I finally was able to release the pent up emotions. You will be fine. My surgery and hospital stay went like this:
Pre-Op: (1 week before)
1.Signed in as soon as I walked in
2.Sat in waiting room @ 30 min
3.Got excited because they finally called my name
4.Went into one room and filled in paper work and made payment arrangements (thanked the good Lord for my insurance over and over)
5.Was told to go sit back down until they called my again
6.Sat in waiting room @20 min
7.Was taken to another room and was told to pee in a cup (I had just peed, no one told me I would have to fill a cup...nurse got me lots of water) had blood drawn. Chugged lots of water and finally was able to fill the cup.

I have a family history of heart disease so my surgeon ordered some tests to be on the safe side.

8.Was told to go sit back down until they called my again
9.Sat in waiting room @10 min
10.Was sent to a room where I was told to leave on my shirt but remove my bra. They took 2 chest ex-rays one facing forward and one sideways. Nurse told me to redress while she stepped out.
11.Sent me to another room and told to undo my bra and lay down (grumbled to myself about having just rehooked the dang thing before walking 10 steps to undo it again..)
12. Laid on a bed for an EKG...had stickers stuck to each shin, each arm, each shoulder and 6 under my breasts then she put a battery charger looking thing with lots of clamps ontop of my stomach that go hooked up to all the stickers (I was on the verge of panic when I saw it...nurse assured me she was not fixing to electrocute me and I wouldn't feel a thing) after she hooked them all up she told me to take a big breath and lay very still. Took @ 10 seconds and it was over. She was right I felt nothing.
13.Did an "interview" with a nurse. Basic questions about my health and ended with in my own words what was my surgery for and what was the surgeon going to do to me.
14.Was scheduled for surgery at 12:00 and told to get there by 10:00

Surgery Day:
1. Arrived right at 10:00, signed in and sat in waiting room @ 30 min.
2.Name was finally called and I was taken to a pre-op room where I was given a gown and told to remove all of my clothes and put them in the supplied bag, put the gown on with the opening in the back and get into the bed.
3. A nurse came in and gave me a blue hair cap to put on and then put in my IV
4. The anesthesiologist came in and asked me several questions
5. They told me I was the 1st surgery scheduled and they would come get me when the doctor arrived
6.waited for what seemed like 100 years, but really it was @20 min
7. Anesthesiologist came back in with another nurse that was carrying my chart, which she put on my bed and pulled up the side bars of my bed (that's the first time it hit me that this was real)
8.The Anesthesiologist pulls out a syringe and I asked him if that was going to put me under and he said no, it was feel good juice (he lied) I watched him put it into my IV then I got real fuzzy. I remember them wheeling me halfway out of the room.
SURGERY ** *was supposed to be about an hour and a half, wound up being about an hour*** Had a tumor that was 16"X14"11 1/2" ...)yes that is inches!!) growing in my uterus.

Woke up, screaming, while being moved from the gurney to my bed. Horrific pain and I was so fuzzy but cursing at them to stop (I am not usually a curser & even drugged I knew I shouldn't & felt very bad that I did curse and scream but I couldn't help it....kept sayin Sh**! stop!) but they made me help them scoot me over. They got me moved over and put the Morphine pump in my hand (yea, I hit it!!) I wanted instant relief which the morphine did not do for me, I screamed it wasn't working (yes I turned into a severe brat, couldn't help it) the nurse put something REALLY good into my pump, it stung a little going in and then PEACE! Total PEACE!
~Don't let this scare you, I was hesitant to share that part, but did so because it was the only pain I had AT ALL. And it was very short lived.~
I slept all of that night. The next day they came and took out my catheter and made me get up and go to the bathroom. They made sit up in a chair to eat breakfast and lunch. Told me to walk the halls. Said once I passed gas they would let me go home. I walked the halls off and on until I finally was able to go home that evening (7ish).

I was out of work 5 weeks. I have had no issues and feel better than I have felt in years. Focus on the after surgery life. Try not to over think it. It is what it is and when it's over it's over! Then your new healthy, pain free life begins!!

~HUGS!~ Cristi
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM

Ok Ladies...
I am set for the castle..Have to be there at 6 in the morning...
They start at 7 and will be in for about 2 hours..I will let you know how things go..Scared but I think I'm ready..
@Goatsnpigs..Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what I am in for step by step...I feel now I am ready..
I will be thinking of all of you here...I will be praying for you all...I will see you all on the other side...
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM

Prayers and hugs for you!! Focus on how good you will feel after its all done!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register