"Complex" Ovarian cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Complex" Ovarian cyst "Complex" Ovarian cyst

Unread 01-11-2002, 08:11 PM
"Complex" Ovarian cyst

My Dr told me I have a complex ovarina cyst, alomost as big as my ovary. . So, far my CA 125 is negative. My Grandmother, her mother and 1 aunt dies of ovarian cancer, on my dad's sode. On my mon's side I had 1 aunt die at my age(28) of Some type of "female" cancer. I have had several Functional cyst before that burst and really hurt. now I am having bleeding with BRIGHT red blood, and pain.
Ok, here are my questions
I am having TAH?BSO and burch. Am I doing the right thing? I think so, I just need a little reasurance.
If the cyst is NOT cancer, what else can cause a "complex" cyst with chambers in it.
Thanks, you have all been a great help, so far!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Hi Sweety

The tah/bso is removing the ovaries and cervix and of course tubes and uterus, so with your history I would think that is one of the best things for you to do. However what a complex cyst is and what causes it is totally a DR's call. So I suggest you talk with your DR and ask those questions. I had a cyst on the outside of my left ovary and it burst and set up infection that led to adhesions forming on and connecting my ovary to my bowels. I also had a small teaspoon size cyst inside my right ovary, my DR learned all this while she was doing the surgery and in the post-op report. So hang in there talk to the DR and know that removal expecially since you have children, is the right thing to do for you if that is your decision. We make our decisions so reading and be assured that we are always here 24/7 to help even if it is with just God Bless and my are with you.
Unread 01-11-2002, 08:59 PM
"Complex" Ovarian cyst

I too was diagnosed with complex cyst, but two of them.
They are 1/2 the size of my uteris. My dr thinks they are full of blood, of course they don't know for sure. I am scheduled on the 22nd of this month for TAH. I wondered too if I was doing the right thing.
Now after an urgent phone call and another test this morning I found out I may have cervical cancer. I was 99.95% sure bfore but now I have no options or doubts. My mom died of cancer at my age. Now I await to see if my surgery will be postponed to bring in yet another speacilist.... No one can tell you if they think it is the right thing for you. Only you and your doctor can make that decision... I feel so good with my dr, she even came in on an off day to do the test this morning.. Trust yourself and your dr...
Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 10:21 PM
"Complex" Ovarian cyst

Pwe,

I have a family history of ovarian cancer -- my mother and an aunt. Fortunately, both of them had surgery and survived. I had been worried about ovarian cancer for years because of this family history. When it was discovered that I had an ovarian cyst, I was extremely scared. So, I can relate to how you are feeling.

My doctor ran a lot of tests before my surgery. My CA125 was negative. And, I had a pelvic CT scan which showed a "complex" ovarian mass. The cyst/mass had calcifications in it, and both my internist and also my gynecologist told me that was a good sign. They felt it was a dermoid cyst, and that is what it turned out to be. You can use Google as a search engine, and type in dermoid cyst, and you will find lots of information and pictures. It basically is an egg that has run amok. It can have hair, teeth, bone, etc. in it -- nasty looking, but benign.

I did have a small carcinoid in the cyst, but that is not technically ovarian cancer. The "cure" is removal, and that had already happened by the time they discovered it. It was discovered by the pathologist when he examined the tissues my surgeon had removed. So, it was a fleeting "O! My!"

In my case, my doctor recommended the removal of the cyst and both ovaries, even though the other ovary was normal. He said there was an increased probability that I would develop a cyst on the other ovary. And, that would necessitate another surgery. Also, I had been having abnormal Pap smears for years, so I asked him if he would remove the uterus and cervix. He agreed that it was a smart thing to do in my particular case. Hence, I had a complete hysterectomy with removal of both tubes and ovaries, as well as the complex cyst.

No one can really answer your question if you have made the right decision except you and your doctor. But, you need to feel good about the decision before surgery. It is possible to feel good about your decision, but anxious about the surgery -- both emotions can coexist. They sure did in me.

I hope I have helped you to feel a little more relaxed about the surgery. I am really glad I had it done. I feel terrific, and I know I will feel even better a year from now.

Keep in touch with us, and ask any questions you may have. Let us know how you are doing, and be sure to let us know how you are after the surgery is over.

Blessings and s
Unread 01-11-2002, 10:24 PM
"Complex" Ovarian cyst

Yukondiva,

I am so sorry to hear of your latest development. Be sure to keep us updated.

Big for you
Unread 01-12-2002, 01:13 PM
"Complex" Ovarian cyst

My ultra sounds showed a solid mass in my right uterus. My doctor did the scope before the hyst to do a biopsy and found my ovary covered with endo and adhered to the wall lining. No cancer at all, but what a mess it was in there!
Unread 01-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Hello

The ovarian cancer support group I belong to just had the head of sonography for our hospital as a guest speaker. She was so informative. Here is some of the info she shared.

There are many tests your dr. can run along with the sonographer to help them predict what type of cyst you have.

Everyone should have, according to our speaker, a color doplar vaginal sonogram. This will look at the blood flow throught he ovary & cyst and help them determine what type of cyst it is. Complex cysts are ones that are not clear fluid filled cysts. So they need to be further investigated, just like what it seems your dr. is doing.

Along with the color doplar vag. sonogram, you also should have a black and white contrasting one. Both sonograms are best to have done while on your period, because that is when your ovary is resting. If it is not done on your period or just after, your ovary is not resting and a new follical/cyst is growing to encapsulate an egg. Therefore the sonographer has a hard time being able to tell what is going on.

Also along with a sonogram you can have a CT. scan.

You said your blood test was neg. for CA 125. Everyone has that, so I'm guessing you mean you had numbers that fell below 35 which would be considered normal.

Along with these tests the doctor can do a rectovaginal exam which they look for enlarged uterus and feel the ovary.

Hope all this stuff helps. Your post reads that your dr. is taking good care of you. I hope that your surgery goes well and you get your good health going again.

Take Care - RobinS
Unread 01-13-2002, 01:48 AM
life and such

My dr did a coloscopy on friday, she found abnormal tissue it looked prettyy abnormal as I got to view courtesy of my own t.v. (this dr has it together) awaiting to hear if yet another dr needs to be scheduled.... a ca125 was abnormal, but i have had many health problems, and many test have proved positive and or abnormal such as lupus hep c , rheumitoid arthritis, fibromyalgia...?(so my doc says it is incunclusive, I think she is trying to keep me from freaking)
I am happy I quit my job as I don't know how I could have handled all the dr apointments, my 12 year old son, and my impending divorice.. I feel better with rest.....

I have a goal...to be healthy in two years... I am 36 I plan on living longer than my mom(she died at 37)
and I refuse to give up!
I will do whatever it takes to be healthy , and to be here for my kid! and the rest of my happy life also

Sometimes I am overwrought with fear, self pity and depression...other times I am so happy just to be alive and to live in a free country and have plenty of food to eat, shelter loving freinds and family

I figure fear only keeps us from enjoying life...at this point I can't let that happen, after all who knows how long i have to embrace living?
I can't let fear take one moment away..having this place to talk to you girls really is a blessing.... I am grateful for you being there and most of all I am grateful that I selfishly bought a brand new laptop computer this year..looks like I will be doing alot of writing from bed...ha ha !!!!
yukon diva
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:32 AM
Ovarian Cysts

I too have cysts. My first recognized one had a septation and we quickly went it and removed it with my right ovary. I was told it was a simple cyst. Hoever, this doctor says that the pathology is report contradicts itself. In one place they say it is simple, but the pathology notes indicate otherwise. Either way, it says no cancer. With this (these) cysts (tennis ball size) we weren't as aggresive. We did a CA-125, no indication of cancer. Tried to shrink it with a month of BCP (thought I was going to be admitted into a mental institution). It did get smaller, but then in a month it has grown again.

I don't intend to have any more children--been on Norplant for 7 years, and was planning to get my tubes tied. (Glad I didn't pay for that).

First my doctor and I decided TAH, then he talked me out of it and now he appologized but says it's necessary. He did an FSH and I am menopausal! Says we need to find out what this is (the cyst). Keeps reassuring me (and I think for him too) that cancer doesn't behave this way.

I'm thrilled at the menopause discovery. I am only 37 but I am menopausal. I've been telling my docs (this is a new one--moved from WI to CA last year) for a little over a year that something is wrong.

Anyway, I am excited about the idea of feeling good again. These problems started about three years ago and I'm done. Get in there, take it out and lets go!

I do think that finding out I was menopausal is the icing on the cake. No doubts at all. Makes the "what ifs" a moot point.

Good Luck to you. Why keep suffering and worrying about cancer?
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:45 AM
OV CA

You should get more clarification from your doctor, but that is a very strong family history of ovarian cancer, so that is probably why they are so concerned. Alsom CA125s are not always elevated with ovarian cancer (about 20% of the time). I also had a strong family hx and had a high CA-125 but no big cysts.

HUGS!!! I hope all goes well for you on the 21st.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register