Less than 2 weeks away - what foods should I stock up on? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than 2 weeks away - what foods should I stock up on? Less than 2 weeks away - what foods should I stock up on?

Unread 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Less than 2 weeks away - what foods should I stock up on?

Surgery is less than 2 weeks away. time to stock up on foods and drinks for when I get home. For those of you on the other side ... what food and drinks were good to have close by? Anything to avoid? I know I will need to have some prunes around. Were there other things that helped keep things moving? Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Re: Less than 2 weeks away - what foods should I stock up on?

Definitely want to avoid anything spicy or too heavy. I found that I craved lots of fruits and veggies so I had the hubby do a Costco run and stocked up on things like cherry tomatoes, blueberries, oranges, apples...easy stuff that I didn't have to cut or hassle with. I found that a bowl of whole grain cereal with a tbsp or two of ground flax seed helped keep me regular after about the first week or two.

Pre-making soups or things like that and freezing them ahead of time is also a great idea so that you don't have to fuss over meals.

You're almost there!!

:hugs5:
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM

After your initial surgery, eat very light. Liquids, for the 1st day afterwards. Then after that, keep with whole wheat toast, oatmeal and eat small amounts. Also get yourself some GasX. I use the chewables. That really helps. My Dr. told me to eat protein, chicken, eggs, etc which helps healing. It may take 1 or 2 days after your surgery to get things moving but it will happen. As for home, get some orange juice, soup and easy to make items. Will there be someone at home during the day for you? If not, these items come in real handy.

You will do fine; you will want to get lots of rest the first 2 weeks but don't overdo. Just take your time.

I wish you all the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM

I wish I could answer this for you but it would be extremely hard. I wasn't prepared for the fact that there were some foods that I used to love that I can no longer stand the taste of. Also, I could only stomach what I had a taste for and that there are things that I just no longer want. Everyday I have to figure out what to eat based on what I have a taste for.
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM

I had a similar experience as LaineyLaine. I love Coke dearly but I could not tolerate it for about 3 weeks. Pickles tasted funny too (like I imagine Kerosene would taste).

I got Metamucil and drank it everyday versus getting a stool softener and it worked well for me. Just be sure to drink plenty of water.

I avoided all sodas the first week I was home to reduce gas in the digestive system since surgery gave me enough of that! (By the way, deep inhale, hold 2-3 seconds and exhale worked wonders for me post surgery for the gas pains as well as walking).

I did drink Ginger Ale in the Castle due to slight nausea the afternoon of surgery. When I left the Castle at lunch time the day after surgery, we stopped at Quiznos and got a veggie sub. It was great. I was not as hungry the first couple of weeks and ate smaller portions. I craved fresh fruits/veggies the first few days and wanted lots of water. I ate a variety of food I already had on hand and I am sure it varies with each person. My DH went to the grocery store and picked up some stuff after surgery since we did not really know what to expect. Everything tastes normal now and I still love to eat!
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM

Yes, some foods have been tasting funny to me too. One thing I made sure to have a lot of was the "steam in the bag" vegetables. This made it much easier for my family to get dinner on the table--just toss veg in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Have good, high-fiber snacks and also protein snacks like nuts, dried fruit and things like that. Good for you and good for the digestive system.

Also, have some cranberry juice on hand because you'll want to drink up once your catheter is removed.

My neighbor gave me some CHOCOLATE COVERED prunes. They're like grown-up raisinets. Yum!

I stocked up on tea as well.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions and feedback. I appreciate the responses so much. I am now one week away and I can't seem to get things done as quickly as I wanted to. I have a long list that needs to be taken care of but the time is going by quickly. At least my shopping list will get taken care of because of all the ideas here.

This place is such a source of support! Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register