Lsh vs tah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Lsh vs tah

I am scheduled for a TAH on May 23rd. But i really feel I can't go thru with it, I am so scared of the recovery pain. I would feel so much better if my Dr would agree to a LSH. She says my uterus is about 12 weeks prego size and due to that I must have a TAH. But after reading up on this, I see people with uterus's much bigger than this that did just fine with a LSH. I have been with my Dr for 20 years and I trust her so much, and can't see myself getting anyone else to do the surgery, but I really don't want the TAH. I am severely anemic, due to heavy periods. I have fibroids, 7 about the size of golf balls, but Dr also feels I have adenomyosis. Has anyone else been abole to get a LSH with a larger size uterus?? I would love to hear from you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Re: Lsh vs tah

I dont have any pain at all right now. Just this anemia, so its really hard to make myself go thru such a major surgery
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM

I personally have not had my LSH yet I am sch may 17th.At last ultrasound mine was around 8 wks he said it had grown last apt but did not say how much(no ultrasound)I'm having my hysterectomy because after my ablasion my uterus sealed off and has trapped fluid inside so I'm guessing it will still grow considering my surgery was sch 3 wks after my last apt but of course Dr mentioned that he may have to open me up.

I watched a you tube video the other day to get an idea of what was gonna happen to me..lol...and they were performing LSH on an 18 wk uterus.Do you have an older Dr maybe not as up to date with technology.Maybe your personal Dr has not done LSH on a uterus of that size and just feels more comfortable opening you up.If you do want to continue on with your current Dr I would go with her recommendations,she may also believe it to be more complicated and abdominal is needed.

I hope this will comfort you some.From what I have read internally everyone has to deal with the same recovery.So if you look at it that way really no difference in internal recovery.Like I said I have not had my hysterectomy yet so we are both in the blind about what that will feel like internally.I'm not comparing my csection to hysterectomy( because I don't know ifvthey are similar at all) but I have had 2 and just wanted to to you that the incision was not that bad and seemed pretty much healed after about 2 wks,so my guess would be that after those 2 wks you would be on the same path to recovery either way,and like others have said everyone heals different you may be a super women and fly through it with ease.

I know I mainly just rambled on but I hope I at least made you feel a little better.If not sorry that was my intention..lol...good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.When is your date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Sorry seen your date
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM

If I were you, I would ask the doctor why she prefers to do it that way -- let her know just what you've written in your post. She should be willing to work with you, and explain to your satisfaction why she doesn't want to do it laparoscopically.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

My uterus is 16 weeks with 4 large fibroids and my doctor is going with the DvH method. Hopefully, he doesn't convert, but sadly I prefer hoping for the best and then waking up with a TAH. Hope gets me far in life!

My nurse said he wouldn't tell me he thought he could do it if he really didn't mean it, of course
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM

I would recommend getting the 2nd opinion. If the 2nd gyno also recommends TAH then you can still go with your gyno that you like and he'd never know you got a 2nd opinion unless you tell him, but if the 2nd gyno recomends the less invasive procedure then at least you have another choice. Good Luck!!
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM

I have tried all over to get in for a 2nd opinion, and am having no luck. All the OB GYN's are booked untill around Nov for new patients. I bet I called 30 Dr's yesterday. I expalined my situation, hoping tey would squeeze me in, but had no luck.. SO I meet with my Dr today at 1230...praying and praying to God that she will have an open mind, and reconsider the laprascopic surgery. I have now started on volume becasue I am such a wreck form this entire surgery ordeal.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Good luck..let us know what happens..Take some big deep breaths stressing yourself out is only gonna make things worse.You have to stay positive.Either surgery you will come through just fine and feel much better when it is over

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register