Second Guessing My Decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Guessing My Decision Second Guessing My Decision

Unread 01-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Second Guessing My Decision

I have surgery scheculed for 2/5/2002. I have been thinking about this for a year and a half and finally felt ready to go through with it.

I'm 48 years old and I have fibroids, one is 16 week size. It has done damage to my bladder and I have continency issues, but I suppose fairly minor and managed by wearing panty liners. I have clotting and heavy bleeding for about 2 days of my period, and I have spotting in between, although after myPap this month I bled more and for 12 days straight. I am mildly anemic. My stomach protrudes more than it would because of the fibroid.

Can I run some concerns past you? (Thanks--I knew you'd say yes!) I don't have any huge issues here, but I decided to have the surgery because of the protrusion, because I need the bladder repair and there is no use doing it with the fibroid in, because I'm tired of having a tumor inside of me that could have even the smallest chance of cancer. I'm wondering if I have sufficient reasons to do such a big surgery. Any of you out there had surgery for similar reasons? Will the drawbacks outweigh the gains?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 11:08 PM

I did not have fibroids.... but I was anemic. I feel much better now that I am 14 weeks post.

I talked to my doc and waited a long time to be sure of my decision. I had many many appoinments to discuss my options and I called with tons of questions... so when surgery day came.... I was ready.

Get a doc you trust .... and take pen and paper to make a list of pros and cons. Your doc has you answers... but the decision is yours!!

Hugs and prayers!

Traci
Unread 01-12-2002, 02:25 AM
YES YES and YES

Kodiakid

Reading this thread could have been reading my life story. It is so similar to my position pre op. All I can say to you is YES. My dr said to me in this day and age, women do not have to put up with all the pain - he said a lot more too which made my decision easy.

I had all the same things as you with a couple of extras. The extras were chronic lower back pain and numbness in my left leg. The multiple fibroids that I had were pressing on my nerves and now at 4 weeks post op I have had no back pain whatsoever and no numbness.

I also had the incontinence problem. This seems to have righted itself also. I no longer pee when I laugh, cough or sneeze. I put it down to the fact there was so much pressing on it, it just didn't have the capacity. I had a bladder study done pre op. Bladder had only 34 percent capacity. The dr decided not to do any bladder work with hyst, but took a wait and see approach. Gee am I glad he did.

I no longer need to take a bag full of "goodies" (pants, pads, tampons, face washer, hand towel, etc) with me every where I go and my life is no longer governed by "Where is the nearest toilet". Gee I miss it - NOT.

All I can say is for me personally it was the easiest decision I have ever had to make. The positives so outweighed everything else, that there really was no choice.

All the best wishes for your surgery.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 08:59 AM

Hi..I understand how you're feeling right now. It is a hard decision to make. Have you looked at the options and alternatives forum? I also had fibroids. Mine were not all that large, but were certainly causing alot of bleeding. My main reason for having my surgery was that I had endometrial hyperplasia. I was having to go back to the doctor every 3 months...my pap smears were never normal...I got tired of the whole mess (procedure after procedure).

One of your alternatives for the fibroid would be a myomectomy where they just go in and take out the fibroid. This surgery is just as invasive as the hyterectomy and there is no guarantee that fibroids will not grow back. From what I read in your post, this fibroid is doing some damage to your bladder so it sounds like one way or the other something needs to be done about it. I would not want a 16 week size fibroid in there either. I really don't think this sounds like a vanity issue, so I wouldn't feel guilty about not wanting it in there. Only you, with the help and input of your doctor, can decide what is best for YOU.

Hope this helps...Sending s to you. Let us know what decision you come to.

Sherry
Unread 01-12-2002, 09:21 AM

I am going for surgery on the 28th of January and I like you have 2nd guessed it many times. I finally made my final decision yesterday to go ahead with the surgery. I also have fibroids (which are the size of a 4 month pregnancy). Quite frankly, I am tired of looking and feeling like I am pregnant. I also am anemic from all the bleeding and have backaches which extend to my hips. I honestly believe I will feel better after the surgery. It is hard to believe that fibroids can make one feel so miserable. I did the pro and con list and this helped. It is such a personal decision and one not to be taken lightly. I know you will make the best decision for you. Take good care of you and I wish you the best. Cathy
Unread 01-12-2002, 09:52 AM

Hey, Kid!
I think second guessing our decisions about something this major is quite normal and I think should be done. It's still such a personal decision that I guess we each reach it in our own time.

My doc had recommended a hyst six years ago but respected my decision to put it off until I was ready. Basically, she told me that when I'd had enough, I'd know it! She was right! My sig line will tell you all the nasties they removed, but at the time, we really didn't know half of what was in there! I had a few fibroids that were not detected on the ultrasound and came as a surprise. We knew the endo was there, as were the ovarian cysts. Oddly, the reason I finally ried "enough!" was the fibroids! The bleeding and cramping were too much for my busy lifestyle and weren't completely explained by the endo, but were caused by the fibroids that we didn't know were there.

My second guessing came because I'm in my early 40's and had hoped to just hang on 'til menopause, hoping the change would change my life. Sorry, but just couldn't bear this for another 8 years! My doc also respected my decision because I've never had children and she was concerned about the psychological stuff, as well as early hrt issues.

I will say, however, that at 10 weeks post op this has been the absolutely BEST thing for me! I feel great, have more energy, have even lost a bit of weight. Emotionally, I'm more even-keel, feel more balanced and seem to be handling stress quite well - must be the patch! I haven't regretted it for one moment! I only wish I'd done it earlier because I'd have been younger and recovery may have been even faster and easier.

I wish you the answers to your questions and hope you are at peace with your decision. This site is great for finding both! It was truly a lifesaver for me! Hugs and prayers to you as you find your way!

love,
-di
Unread 01-12-2002, 11:35 AM

My heart goes out to you, I understand your fear and concerns. I also second guess myself many times! :confuse: I too had the bladder problem and tumors, and cyst on my ovaries. I never knew when I was going to start or how long it was going to last. I have always been an extremely heavy bleeder. So I had become accustom to the chaos in my body and to the pain,and being anemic was just part of it. As time went on I couldn't function without being on prescription pain pill during that time. I even got into several arguments with friends because they were sure I was pregnant because my belly was so swollen.
Not to mention the tme I went the hospital due to a ruptured cyst on my ovary and the were going to admit me thinking I was in labor!

Everyone told me to have the surgery, the Dr., relatives and close friends that had, had a hysterectomy, what I didn't understand then is that most of them had kept their ovaries or if they hadn't, they were on not only the hrt but were on a antidepressant too.
I personally had a bad experience having the surgery, and I am SURE I am the minority. I am on Tegretol (seizure med) and it doesn't allow my body to absorb the amount of hrt needed for body. so now I am living in a hormone jungle and I am learning about things that I wished that I had known before hand. I am Physically doing better but emotionally it has been a struggle
My advice to you is .....
Don't get bogged down with the problems Look up ALL the options!
Realize that synthetic hormone replace therapy is no where close to having the real thing!
Read about what having a hysterectomy does to the body
Fight with the insurance company, if something is no longer there they wont have to pay on that again its gone!
Trust your gut! How many patients does a physician see in a day? What is easiest for who

And if you decide to have the surgery
ASk questons and repeat them !
Make sure that you read what herbs and meds make can a surgery at higher risk
Prepare to have someone stay at the hospital at all times and or have someone call to the nurses and have them ask questions like what pain med your on? when was your last dose? questions that would make them look at your chart and have them ask different shifts (overdoses happen all the time)
If you smoke quit! (Get the patch, gum something) smokers cough a lot when they are in the recovery. It puts you at risk to rip stitches and you could have to have the procedure done again or even hemorrhage! I hemorrhaged! blood count was down to 6 before a nurse caught it
Make sure You are comfortable with the physician doing the procedure
And last but least know in your heart this is what you want to do

I hope you find your answer and my prayer is that you have a blessed journey on the of life.
s filled with love,
Lisa
Unread 01-12-2002, 12:21 PM

I really appreciate all the answers and encouragement. I'd love to hear from more of you.

I thought maybe I should clarify my original question a little. I'm second guessing because none of my symptoms is huge. If I were bleeding all the time or in constant pain the decision would be easier. The gyn I got my second opinion from said maybe I've just gotten used to things, that she personally wouldn't want to have ANY days of heavy bleeding and clotting and she wouldn't want to have to wear panty liners for incontinence. So I wonder if yes, I really do have serious enough issues to warrant this, or no, if I can live with the symptoms I just should. Did any of you have surgery when you didn't have really serious symptoms?

BTW, the bladder damamge is done and the urologist said it won't get worse. My fibroid is too large to remove that without doing the hys.

Thanks again.
Unread 01-12-2002, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kodiakid
So I wonder if yes, I really do have serious enough issues to warrant this, or no, if I can live with the symptoms I just should. Did any of you have surgery when you didn't have really serious symptoms?
I'm having a LAVH in 2 weeks for adenomyosis. My main symptoms are heavy, clotty, bleeding the first few days of my period, so bad that I can't be away from home for more than 30-45 minutes, along with very painful cramping. I can function, so I too wondered if maybe surgery would be an overreaction. I talked to doctor I trust and respect, and she reminded me that having heavy, painful periods, an enlarged uterus, and generally having your life controlled by what your uterus is doing IS NOT NORMAL, and that no one should have to live like that, especially not because someone else out there lives with worse. If you feel that surgery is a viable option for you, then don't feel bad about seeking a better, more comfortable life for yourself!!
Unread 01-12-2002, 01:15 PM
fibroids

I too have 5 fibroids that have enlarged my uterus to 14wks, and I do not have many symptoms either. I am taking medication so that I do not have any periods, but I have almost daily spotting which I shouldn't have any, and it is actually the 2 smaller fibroids that are causing me the problems as they are abutting the endometrial lining.

The bladder problem I can also relate to when coughing, sneezing and laughing. Dr. says hysterectomy and after all I have read on all the different web sites it seems to me that quite often even if other forms treatment are tried the woman very often ends up having the hysterectomy anyway.

I am about 15yrs away from menopause and I really don't want to end up with major problems down the road because of these fibroids, so I am leaning towards hysterectomy. I am seeing another gyne on Feb 11, so I will take it from there. (please remember these are only my personal opinions)

I understand where you are coming from, I am in much the same boat with maybe a few differences.

Best Wishes

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register