Dumb question about cervix removal?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumb question about cervix removal?? Dumb question about cervix removal??

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Dumb question about cervix removal??

This might be a really dumb question, but I am confused.

I'm about to have a LAVH and they are taking my cervix. I don't understand how that works. I didn't even think about this when I was talking to my doctor.... and the next time I'm going to see her is at my surgery on Wednesday.

When they remove your cervix what do they do? Your cervix is kind of what closes off your vaginal canal to your insides right? So do they sew you shut at the end of your vaginal canal?

I feel so dumb asking, but I don't know who else to ask! Please don't laugh at me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Re: Dumb question about cervix removal??

Yep, they sew you shut! It's called a vaginal cuff and it's been likened to the seam in the toe of a tube sock. I didn't think about it either pre-op!
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Don't worry. There are no dumb questions. If you're wondering about something, you can be assured that a bunch of other women are glad you asked so they don't have to!!

We ALL have that question sooner or later about what do they do after they take everything out? You at least thought about it beforehand. I didn't think about it until afterwards, laying in bed wondering what in the world do my insides look like now?!!

Yes, they cut the cervix where it meets the vagina. They sew that up. I've seen on one site where the doctor sewed it so it sort of looked like a drawstring purse-type "close." That will give you a visual. It's really a small area. I can feel mine but it's barely noticable. I have to go looking for it. Kinda bumpy now that it's healed. (see, you can talk about ANYTHING on here!)

The one thing the princesses here would say about it (it's technically called a vaginal cuff) is to let it heal. Follow your doctor's orders on nothing in the vagina for XX weeks. You'll be glad you didn't rush things--if you have a special someone waiting. It takes time to heal, but most people are fine, and their partners can't tell any difference at all.

Any more questions? There's a ton of info on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:04 PM

No such thing as a dumb question!

The cervix isn't a separate organ. It's just the lower portion of the uterus. When your uterus is removed with the cervix (a total hysterectomy), the vagina is stitched shut forming a vaginal cuff.

I hope you have a very successful surgery and recovery!

Deb
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:36 AM

I was also wondering about the cervix and removal so I went to youtube and put in the type of hyster I am having and watched a short video of what the surgery consist of. If you are not squeamish you can look that up and it will show you the vaginal cuff and what it looks like. And there are no dumb questions. I am glad I found this site it has helped me so much. All the ladies here are understanding and very helpful.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM

That's a wonderful question and I'm glad you brought it up. My surgery (DVH) is on June 18 and I just decided to go ahead and remove the cervix as well. The one thing I've really been worried about is organ prolapse since the cervix gives the pelvic floor that extra support. It's nice to read that the vaginal cuff might be even stronger than the cervix but now I'm really worried about the pain and recovery time. Any words of advice?

Angela
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM

this is definitely a great question as i think many, many women have had the exact same fears and concerns and confusion about what happens to our insides when we have hysterectomy...as i was reading your question i have to tell ya this gave me good ole wholesome innocent smile as i remember before my surgery i totally had the same things going on in my thoughts as i didnt ask many questions at the time my gyno said okay were doing the hysterectomy and she said she will take out the uterus, fallopian tube, cervix and leaving my ovaries, i was so releived to finally have a gyno finally say yes to doing this surgery that i didnt ask to many questions...But about a week before my surgery thats when all the fears, concerns and questions came to mind and i totally thought same things you did, i thought oh my goodness she is taking my cervix ((What)) oh my what is going to hold in my other organs and then my mind went nuts lol...So then later i found out that yes the doc will give me a vagina cuff to close it up lol...please i dont laugh at this question, ime just reminded of what i went through pre op, and its totally what your going through, its so totally okay to ask anything in here as i found out as well in my early post op of many, many questions lol...its all good in here...Peace be with you
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waduckfan View Post
That's a wonderful question and I'm glad you brought it up. My surgery (DVH) is on June 18 and I just decided to go ahead and remove the cervix as well. The one thing I've really been worried about is organ prolapse since the cervix gives the pelvic floor that extra support. It's nice to read that the vaginal cuff might be even stronger than the cervix but now I'm really worried about the pain and recovery time. Any words of advice?

Angela
Hello angela,,,I think were all very different in how our bodies heal and the time frame for a good rest in recovery is usually 6wks...Please try not to worry about pain as your doc will give you some pain meds to help with your early recovery time and this will help alot.. There is also alot of helpful info in here for women who just had surgery and how to take care of yourself from weeks 1-6 that you can do to help with discomfort and pain and further info as you progress..some women dont have any hard pains at all...We dont know how our individual bodies will heal until were actually in post op...so please rest assured tho that alot of women have an awesome recovery....Peace be with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register