Scheduled dVH/RALH A couple of questions as I prepare for May 18 daVinci | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A couple of questions as I prepare for May 18 daVinci A couple of questions as I prepare for May 18 daVinci

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
A couple of questions as I prepare for May 18 daVinci

I am scheduled for the daVinci surgery for a complete hysterectomy on May 18. I wanted to buy some comfortable clothes (gown, loungwear) for the hospital and for recuperating at home and was wondering if lightweight pajamas would be too uncomfortable on the incisions? Should I just stick with a gown and light robe?

Also, what have others experienced as far as recuperation time after this less invasive surgery? I am supposed to go as a sponsor to church youth camp on June 4......
I think I can hang out at the cabin a lot if I need to.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Re: A couple of questions as I prepare for May 18 daVinci

Would really recommend the lightweight pajamas - they're nice to have on to wander outside/sit on the porch if you feel up to it - but make sure they have a very loose waistband (something with a drawstring works really well). My DH found a set of loose pajamas with Eeyore on them ( ), and I just about wore them out.

I would still recommend getting the gowns also, as they are much more comfortable to sleep in.

The camp is two weeks after your surgery? If you can hang out in the cabin A LOT and are able to nap/put up your feet as needed you may be able to - but that is going to be really early in your recovery (even with DvH). I was back to work at that point, but only half days - and I definitely had to take a nap when I got home. You may also want to ask your doc if he/she thinks you will be up to it, as a lot will depend on what all your surgery will entail.

Best of luck. ((HUG)) And get lots of comfy pjs!
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

HI I had DaVinci and really needed to stay in nightgowns for about a week--even loose waist bands on pjs bothered incision (had one starting right in belly button and going down a bit)

I wouldn't have been ready two weeks out to supervise youth camp (i'm assuming this means staying there day and night for awhile? Some people are up and about very quickly and some aren't.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Hi Therese! I'm having the davinci and H too, same day. They told me to be there at 5:30am and will leave the same day. Are you staying over night? I'm curious as I found it strange doing all of this and being sent home. I have PPO ins and kind of wanted to stay. I don't want to go home with a catheder.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM

I had DvH a week ago today. I haven't needed any special clothing. I've been wearing my yoga pants and cotton shorts. The biggest thing is to have soft comfy cotton bikini cut underwear so that your panties are below all of your inciscions. In the hospital, I never had a chance to change from the hospital gown into my own because I was only there one night and I had the IV hooked up the whole time so I couldn't change.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

If they just need a "warm body" at camp then go for it. If you will have to do ANY physical ANYTHING including a lot of rugged-terrain walking, back out. While your "outsides" will be pretty healed up after 2 weeks, your insides still have a long way to go.

Yoga pants (especially the ones with the foldover tops) and loose, drawstring PJ pants have been my best friend through both surgeries. For daVinci, I second the low bikini underwear. I also used a belly binder (with a tank top or cami underneath it since that was softer on my skin) and that helped as well.
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Hi, I'm 5 days post op from my RA TLH...feeling pretty good. I didn't change out of the hospital gown...only in overnight. Found several pairs of pj pants w/drawsting..several sizes bigger than ususal...and they are comfy. My incisions are higher up then I thought they would be, so bikini or granny briefs both work well. Still tired in the afternoons & not sleeping well at night...not sure how camp will work out for you. You may enjoy your own bed instead of a camp cot. Good luck with your procedure!
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Hello! I found loose fitting large t-shirts or a nightgown worked well for the first couple of weeks (I had a catheter for 2 weeks postop due to a nicked bladder). Now at the 3'rd week I am wearing normal tops with yoga-style pants with a drawstring. I also found a wrap-around skirt useful since I could adjust the waist-tightness. Everyone heals differently. I wish you all the best.
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM

I had a DvTH 3 weeks ago today. Pretty much comfy pj's and yoga type pants for me. I also purchased the belly binder and it has been a god send. As far as camp 2 weeks after surgery, I wouldn't commit to that. For 1 you never know what they may do when ur in surgery. I went in for a hysterectomy and came out with that and adhesion & scar tissue repairs. You don't know what will happen to you until you wake up. If they go in and find anything that looks like cancer they will forego the DvTH and do a total abdominal. Plus the other sister stated her bladder was nicked during surgery, you can't plan for that. I would not want to sleep on any camp cots after this surgery. I am still exhausted and just finding a comfy spot in bed is trying at times. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news just wanting to make sure you look at all possible sides.
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:21 PM

Hello, I too am having my surgery on the 18th and have just got home from a wee spend up! As we are heading into winter here I wanted some cosy and warm things! As much for my mind as for my body. I treated my self to a big soft robe, the most divine stretch cotton roll top PJ pants that are black and trendy and could double as track pants, some thermal socks and new slippers! Im not touching them till I have had my op. Its my wee treat to make me feel better when I may be a little down, cause im worth it. Good luck O and did I mention my new super hot granny nickers! Hubby will love those

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register