Scheduled LAVH increased risk of cardiovascular disease?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

increased risk of cardiovascular disease?? increased risk of cardiovascular disease??

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
increased risk of cardiovascular disease??

My LAVH is scheduled for next Monday and I'm still terrified and a train wreck. I had a major breakdown last night and said I cannot go through with this. As I have done for the past week, I turned to this site. I stumbled across the mention of UFE procedure and started looking into it. I was almost sold until I read that it increases your risk of cardiovascular disease by 26%. I immediately closed the door on that one. While reading up more on the risks of hysterectomies, I found the same claim about the cardio disease. The risk is evidently higher for pre-menopausal women under 50. Seriously??? I have done tons of reading and research and somehow never stumbled upon this before. My doctor certainly never mentioned this. I'm wondering if this is proven research. This just gave me one more reason to freak out and cancel. Does anyone have any solid info or resources on this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Re: increased risk of cardiovascular disease??

I talked to my doctor about that because both of my parents have heart disease. My doctor said the risk of heart disease only goes up if you remove both ovaries AND don't take hormone replacement. She said some groups skew the stats to support their own agendas. She said as long as you keep your ovaries or as long as you take HRT if you have them removed then you'll be fine.
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM

I've noticed that the ladies who are most concerned about this surgery only quote those studies and articles that have some horror story or awful outcome. It is absolutely vital to make a well informed decision about this surgery to be sure, but please take a moment to read about all of the successes and positive outcomes due to this surgery.

To iwrbotb, in one of your posts you comment on your support system and how wonderful they are but that they only discuss the positives of this surgery and don't understand your anxiety over the possible complications. Perhaps you are right, they don't know how serious this surgery is. But, what if they do understand and they are trying to help you through this scary time by being positive. Maybe you should let your supporters know how anxious you are and that you don't want smiles and pink, fluffy clouds, but you'd rather have them listen to your concerns. Surgery is scary and our friends and family want us to be healthy and happy, but most of them haven't had a hysterectomy and they really don't understand all that we go through to come to the decision to have this surgery. Thank God for this site and the ladies who post. I send you peaceful thoughts for your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM

I had a very pointed discussion with my doctor about this. My dad died of a heart attack. And then there's the whole bone loss thing--my mom had a compression fracture of the spine because of osteoporosis. Of course, no one in my family has had a gynocological cancer of any kind, or even breast cancer, so I tried to talk them out of it. Answer is that HRT will help with the bone loss but that this occurs after menopause anyway. As for heart, my gyn/onco gave me a statistic that a very small percentage of us will have this increased risk but it's when we're older, not in the forties, fifties, or sixties. I know that's vague but what he said was reassuring to me.
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:48 PM

I was worried about the same thing. My sister had a heart attack a couple of years ago and we found out that only half of her heart was working but she had a stent put in among other things(diabetes, congestive heart failure etc..) and its working better now. My mother had a few minor heart attacks (diabetes, congestive heart failure etc..) and had open heart surgery this last christmas and still on the road to recovery but doing much better. However, I asked if taking the cervix out if you are more at risk for heart disease and she said no. But maybe it is about the ovaries and I read it wrong?
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagayle View Post
I talked to my doctor about that because both of my parents have heart disease. My doctor said the risk of heart disease only goes up if you remove both ovaries AND don't take hormone replacement. She said some groups skew the stats to support their own agendas. She said as long as you keep your ovaries or as long as you take HRT if you have them removed then you'll be fine.
Thanks Abagayle! That makes total sense.
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1213 View Post
I had a very pointed discussion with my doctor about this. My dad died of a heart attack. And then there's the whole bone loss thing--my mom had a compression fracture of the spine because of osteoporosis. Of course, no one in my family has had a gynocological cancer of any kind, or even breast cancer, so I tried to talk them out of it. Answer is that HRT will help with the bone loss but that this occurs after menopause anyway. As for heart, my gyn/onco gave me a statistic that a very small percentage of us will have this increased risk but it's when we're older, not in the forties, fifties, or sixties. I know that's vague but what he said was reassuring to me.
Thanks! My dad just died of heart failure last month so I think that's why it scared me so much. I know better than to listen to everything but it's hard not to when you're petrified. "Experts" tell us one day that a particular food will save us and the next day tell us it will kill us.
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee40 View Post
I was worried about the same thing. My sister had a heart attack a couple of years ago and we found out that only half of her heart was working but she had a stent put in among other things(diabetes, congestive heart failure etc..) and its working better now. My mother had a few minor heart attacks (diabetes, congestive heart failure etc..) and had open heart surgery this last christmas and still on the road to recovery but doing much better. However, I asked if taking the cervix out if you are more at risk for heart disease and she said no. But maybe it is about the ovaries and I read it wrong?
Thanks for your reply. I'm really hoping to keep at least one ovary. I'm having a cystectomy with my LAVH. I've decided to quit reading the risks and see how denial works for a few days!
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:50 PM

[email protected] how denial works for a few days. Made me giggle. I love it!
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM

I was also very concerned about cardiovascular health as I am 34 and am having both ovaries removed.

My doctor actually returned my phone call instead of his nurse and spent 30 minutes answering my questions (I was just too shocked at the office visit to process and ask any questions

He said that many studies that review cardiovascular disease risks and HRT do not take into account when a woman begins the HRT. He said many of the women he has personally treated that developed cardiovasular disease were women that started HRT 10 years + after the onset of menopause and had been living lifestyles to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

He plans to put me on a very low dose HRT and then adjust until we find the right one. Also, healthy diet and exercise are also on my to do list.

There are so many aspects of this surgery to consider...I keep trying to process little bits at a time and make lists of questions...get those answered and start processing again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register