Scheduled TAH waking up in recovery?? Pain or not?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

waking up in recovery?? Pain or not?? waking up in recovery?? Pain or not??

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
waking up in recovery?? Pain or not??

I met with my Dr today, and I could not convince her to let me have my surgery laprascopic. She is insisting on abdominal. She did agree to an epidural if anesthesiology was OK with it..I havnet talked to them yet. I am not nervous about surgery, its the recovery that has me terrified. I am so afraid of waking in so much pain I can't stand it, and no one being able to control it. Even if they are able to control it, I am afraid of the time I will be in pain before it is under control. I just have so many fears going on in my head...... I know I am not going to be able to do the bowel prep, I have to weak of a stomach. So I am terrified about the BM's afterwards. I just don't know if I can do this or not. I am trying to think about it, but it has totally consumed me. Does anyone actually have a good experience when waking up in recovery???? Was anyone's pain under control from the beginning?? I would love to hear some of these stories....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Re: waking up in recovery?? Pain or not??

I am sorry to hear your upset, and I feel your upset... I was sooo nervous and worked up... I am 21 days now.. 3 weeks ago today.. and it seems like yesterday in some respects, but long ago in some. I don't even remember the recovery room! Or, going in for the surgery... ! When I did wake up, I was alone in my room... my parents and hubby came in.. I was fuzzy... and hard to talk, mouth was sooo dry. They were 'babbling', and I was not in the mood to listen, so remember saying,'Please go to lunch'.. LOL> I did not even get a pain pill until that evening... my surgery was 7am. I then told the nurse to wake me up to give me one at 1am and then in am, got another. I walked for the first time before I went to bed, to Pee... that was the biggest eye opener.. I did not realize my entire body would be sore, DOABLE... but sore... pain meds helped. I was so worked up pre-surgery....did not know of this site.. and did not really want to read other's stories... but if anything I say matters.... go, you will be nervous.. natural... but the worst is for our family... you will be asleep and seriously, after be like, wow, it is over! OVER!!!!!
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM

I had a good experience in recovery. The nurse asked me about pain and gave me ample meds. I woke up in tolerable pain but was medicated promptly and kept comfortable. Also tell the Dr your bowel prep and post op concerns, maybe he can modify the prep for you. Honestly though, the prep was really easy compared to a colonoscopy prep. It may not be as bad as you expect, I'll send good thoughts for you. I hope your experience is as easy as mine was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Not sure what a BM prep is... drinking/ lax? I did not do any of that... I did get abit constipated.... but the nurse told me to take stool softener, and I did not stay on pain meds long, which is a major contributor... I do drink fiber drink daily now.... metamucil and take 2 ducilax a day.... first couple weeks were not the most comfortable, but am doing better... all in all, my experience, like grayown has been pretty good!!!! (I am a wimp, too! ) LOL>
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM

I also had an abdominal incision. Was worried to have it but it all worked out just fine. I had a good recovery room experience. I remember some of it but I was not in pain at all. I was going to get an epidural plus general anesthesia but the anesthesiologist recommended not doing the epidural because I have a disc herniation in my lower back. I only had general anesthesia and came out of the recovery room with a morphine pump going. I never felt pain. I was sore, like I had done sit ups but no real pain. The next morning after surgery when they got me up I was scared but getting up and walking around was fine as well. The more I walked the better I actually felt. My doctor had ordered "scheduled" pain medication around the clock so they were right on top of any pain that may have surfaced. I was not ordered to have a bowel prep and BMs were fine after surgery. Good luck on your surgery!
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM

The bowel prep wasn't bad at all. I had the magnesium citrate but the nurse told me to chase it with sprite or sierra mist and that totally helped. As far as the recovery room , I don't remember it at all. The only thing I remember is I woke up and I was going down the hall to my room. My Dr must have had something scheduled because they were in my room every 4 hours giving me pain meds. My dr also attached a pump called the OnQ ball which delivered a local anestetic to my surgical site on the inside continuously for 2 days so that was great. I felt nothing down there .
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM

There are reasons for laparascopic and reasons for full abdominal. Sometimes there is not adequate access with laparscopic to do what needs to be done. In my case, I had endometrial cancer and surgery involved removal of the uterus, cervix, ovaries, oviducts, pelvic lymph nodes and associated lymphatic tissue, and removal of some aortic lymph nodes for evaluation for spread of the cancer. My gynecologist said that there is not enough flexibility with laparscopic tools to do all of this. She ended up referring me to a gynecological oncologist who does the DaVinci robotic surgery, which is also a form of laparoscopic surgery, done with much more sophisticated tools than with the usual laparoscopic, so I was able to get surgery done this way. But until they confirmed that my breathing would be okay in the head-down tilted position used during robotic surgery, I didn't know whether I would wake up having had robotic or full abdominal.

The bowel prep stuff is to reduce the amount of your innards that interfere with access to the surgery target areas. Just do your best with it, and once you drink the stuff, you don't need to worry about whether your bowels will empty themselves!
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM

I don't remember too much about recovery especially any pain. All I remember is them asking me my pain level and to push the button on the morophine pump. The nurses made sure that I was never in pain and after I stopped the pump, I had access to pain pills and ibuprofen as often as needed. Stool softeners and gas pills are your best friends for a while. My pre-op nurse told me that I needed to eat light meals two days before surgery and it should make BMs a lot easier. It did help. Sending hugs to you!
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM

If you have an epideral you will wake up with very little pain that can be managed quite easily. I had 3 c-sections. The first I was put to sleep and woke up with out of control pain. It was horrible. The other 2 I had spinals and they were a dream. The first 6 hours after surgery are the most painful. If you get the epi, it will solve most of your recovery pains. Without the epi, the first pain you feel when waking from any surgery is very intense. The nurses will get it under control as fast as possible though. You will get through it and then it will be a distant memory.

As for bowel movements, I've done the same thing after this hysterectomy as I did after my c-sections. I drink 1 glass of Metamucil daily and take 3 stool softeners (not all at once, but one in the morning, one at noon, and one before bed). After all 4 surgeries, bowel movements were never a problem at all.

You really will get through this. The hospital doesn't want you in pain. They will control it as best and safely as they can. They will take good care of you.
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM

I don't remember waking up in recovery, but when I woke up in my room my pain was very manageable. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and even after they took the morphine pump (the next morning) the pain was managed very well orally. I didn't have to do a bowel prep, so can't help you there. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register