Scheduled TAH waking up in recovery?? Pain or not?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

waking up in recovery?? Pain or not?? waking up in recovery?? Pain or not??

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Re: waking up in recovery?? Pain or not??

I woke up so full of morphine that I still barely remember a few days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:46 AM

I woke up in pain, but my pain was quickly controlled with a morphine pump. My nurses did a good job helping me keep pain under control.

Bowel prep was not a big deal. I just had to do an enema though.

First bm's were no picnic but I survived!

You will too!!!!
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:20 AM

Hi dwadeb...I can feel your anxiety...listen, it sounds like you are becoming really upset by your surgery. IMHO, you should write down each of your concerns. Then one by one, do your research, talk to your dr., talk to your hystersisters and cross off each concern on your list. Many hospitals offer "tours" for nervous patients. They will show you the pre-op room where your anxiety will be managed. And the post-op recovery room where there are many nurses whose only concern is your comfort and freedom from pain.
I didn't have to do any bowel prep...I just ate pretty light for two days before. I had a colonoscopy last year and prep wasn't fun, but wasn't torture either.
After my hysterectomy, my pain was managed quite well. I don't remember most of the recovery room and what I do remember was just feeling happy it was over. The four days in the hospital were fine...I kept a notebook and pen next to me to record when I took the pain medicine and when I was due for more so I was sure the pain never got in front of me. The nurses were great...always asking how I felt, did I need anything, etc. I went home with just Motrin. Everyone is different and there is a pain management plan that is right for you. You just have to figure it out.
I hope you find the answers you need to be confident and secure before your surgery. Of course you will be nervous, we all were...but you have to be strong too. You can and will get through this!! xxxLaura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

I had an LSH, and when I woke up in recovery I had no pain but plenty of nausea (normal for me after anesthesia). I barely remember being in recovery, I *do* remember the very bumpy (to me) ride up to my room shortly afterward. My pain was very well controlled, I didn't have a pump or anything. I was given scheduled IV Toradol and then switched to Ibuprofen, with Vicodin for breakthrough pain. I did try IV Dilaudid the second night when the gas pain was getting bad, but that just made me nauseated again. Once I got home, my pain was controlled with Ibuprofen and the occasional Vicodin. No problems at all!!

And for bowel prep, I had to do two enemas -- one the night before surgery, one the morning of. I would take that over the mag citrate route ANY day, haha!! Some surgeons don't do a bowel prep, it depends on the doctor.

I was also worried about my first BM, which happened on post-op day 5, but it was nothing to worry about. Just stay hydrated and walk as much as you can. I didn't have to take any stool softeners at home or anything.

Best wishes!!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Did your doctor give you a reason that you weren't a candidate for laparoscopic surgery? Just "No" isn't sufficient. She should be explaining to you and convincing you why you need an abdominal approach, not you trying to convince her on what type of surgery she should perform.

There has to be a reason. For example, I wanted to keep my cervix. My doctor explained why keeping my cervix wasn't a good idea in my case, but said if that's what I really wanted then he would try. And then he went on to explain in detail what that would entail. He didn't just say, "No, you can't keep your cervix." In the end, I decided to let him take the cervix, which turned out to be the right choice since my fibroids were growing through the cervix anyway.

You only have one shot at having this surgery done correctly the first time. You don't want to have regrets later. Unless your doctor has a good reason why YOU cannot have laproascopic surgery (and, "I'm not skilled enough as a surgeon" is NOT a good reason for you to have abdominal surgery when there are plenty of surgeons out there who can do it) then I suggest you get a second opinion. You will never regret getting a second opinion, but you might regret finding out that you could have had the surgery you wanted if only you'd been more assertive.

As far as pain, mine was extremely well-controlled. I had an epidural which usually includes a medication called Duramorph that lasts for 18-24 hours and provides excellent pain relief.

Trust me. Those nurses want your pain controlled and they will do their best to do that for you.
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

I had a good surgical experience even though it was my first ever (I am 63!) and I was TERRIFIED beforehand.

They can give you something to make you not care, just before the op. - but actually, I was a lot calmer anyway on the big day, to my surprise!
Just before going into the theatre, where I had a general anesthetic, I had a spinal injection of some morphine derivative. Not a true epidural, I suppose, but the aim was to ensure I was pain-free after the surgery, and I was. I woke easily and was totally rational. Even made a phone call from recovery and talked sense! Don't remember the journey to my room, though!
Then I had a PDA pump and my pain was well controlled, even after I came off the pump. Won't pretend it was painless, but I coped OK. I had 5 days in hospital and weaned myself off the narcs. immediately at home because of constipation woes.

As for having abdominal surgery (which I had to have, with a 17 cm. vertical incision) - there are pluses!

1) The surgeon gets to have a really good look around in there.
2) You will get a better sew-up job inside than the robot can do (so I've heard on this site!).

I never had any post-op. bleeding whatsoever after day 1, no popped stitches, no trouble with my incision healing.
Probably a longer road to recovery with abdominal surgery, but eventually you will be feeling great again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register