This is my first surgery and I am scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This is my first surgery and I am scared! This is my first surgery and I am scared!

Unread 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
This is my first surgery and I am scared!

I can't believe my trip to the castle is less than a week away. I have so much to do, and it seems like no time to do it in. I have anxiety about anesthesia, and when I try to talk to my family they tell me I am being silly, does anyone else have any anxieties about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Re: This is my first surgery and I am scared!

You are not at all silly. You have every right to feel anxiety, especially since this is your first major surgery. My LAVH is also next week on 5/8. I have had 2 outpatient cone biopsy surgeries, but still have anxiety over this major surgery. The lack of control and not knowing what will happen can be very stressful. I am very anxious about my pathology report after surgery. I am currently diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in situ, but won't know for sure if invasive cancer is present till after surgery. I am praying that both our surgeries and recoveries go well, and that we find peace and strength during this difficult time.

What type of Hysterectomy are you having?
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM

Totally not silly at all! I am having my 5th surgery on 5/10 and I am still scared. I hate the idea of anthesthesia, that to me is the scariest part. I hate not being in control. I had so much anxiety at the hospital before my last surgery that they gave me something for my anxiety in my IV as soon as they got it in(I told them how anxious I was). That helped alot. From there it was over before I knew it. On a funnier note, the thought of being naked and splayed out on a table with a bunch of strangers is so mortifying to me!

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:16 AM

My surgery is the same day as yours and I'm scared too! I've had 6 different surgeries prior and going under still bothers me. Like someone else said, its the lack of control. But if they give you something to help you relax, you really will feel much better, and before you know it, you will be waking up in recovery!
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:59 AM

Heatherr73, and TaraL707, thank you so much for posting. I'm sorry you have both been through so much. I will add both you in my thought's and prayers. I guess we have all joined the first week of May Hysterectomy Club. The night before my cone biopsies I was given Ativan, to keep me calm and to control my blood pressure. I have one more tablet which I will take the night before the LAVH as well. It definitely seemed to help on the day of surgery. It may be something for you to consider issay. I too hate the thought of the indecent display in front off all those strangers.
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Hi issay and everyone else. I was also nervous about being put under, so I spoke with the anesthesiologist and she put something in my IV to help me. I was calm and fell asleep before I entered the operating room. I mentioned that I didn't want everybody to see me naked and was assured that only the area that they were working on would be exposed. They also made sure that if I need my eyeglasses in recovery, I would have them. I was treated very well. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers on your upcoming visit to the castle! Remember to take a nice bath before the surgery because it will be awhile till you can take one after and I sure missed it. LOL
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Thank you everyone, I am feeling a lot better now about the anesthesia. I am having a TVH, with Cystocele, and Rectocele repair. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers, and I wish you all a speedy recovery!
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Hi Girls!
What you are experiencing is just normal feelings that we all had before our surgeries. Stay as much calm as possible . Keep yourselves busy with the preparations and then sooner than you know, the time of surgery will be there. Really , the nurses are great at the surgery wards when it comes to comforting you.
My Anesthesiologist told me to think good thoughts before she was going to put me to sleep therefore when I wake up I'll have good feelings . She was right. When you wake up your so happy it's all over, and next it's just trying to get better . Don't get me wrong, you'll have some pain and discomfort but the Meds will help you out. Just drink a lot of water.
Good Luck....
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM

issay, glad to hear you are feeling better. (I see you and I are neighbors). Thank you everyone, for all the comforting thoughts. It will be nice to hear how we all do next week. I will try to post as soon as I am able to after surgery.
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM

This will be only my 2nd time going under unless you count dental stuff. My first time was just a few weeks back for my D & C. I'm nervous about the anesthetic some as well. But honestly, since I was at the same facility for my D & C a few weeks back, I almost feel like I sort of had a "dress rehearsal" for lack of a better term and that is helping me with that part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register