How long do you bleed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long do you bleed How long do you bleed

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
How long do you bleed

Having Davinci in 6 weeks and was wondering how long do you bleed post op? I will. E very close to my period when I have surgery so that might be a factor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Re: How long do you bleed

Hi Lexi1967.

Some women don't bleed much or at all. Some bleed for weeks. I was one of those that bleed for weeks. I checked in with my doctor almost every week just to make sure it was normal...he said it was for me. I had extra endo excised and he said that due to what he had to do it was normal.

If you are on your period when you go into surgery, it shouldn't be a problem. Just tell your doctor about it. :-)

Good Luck,

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM

I had a DvTH 3 weeks ago. I only bled the day of my surgery. After that nothing and I was quite dissappointed since I had stocked up on pads! About day 10 a pinkish discharge started that can get a little darker depending on how much activity you're doing. That has only required a pantyliner for me. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2012, 01:48 AM

From all that I've read, this varies a lot from woman to woman.

In my own experience, I spotted (mostly lightly) for almost 8 weeks. I had one and a half days of actual red blood at about 2-1/2 weeks. I had a couple of days with nothing every once in awhile.

My spotting seems to have stopped since right around around 8 weeks. I was worried after heavy exercise last week it would return, but it has not.
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Lexi!!

It varies from woman to woman. Like the others have said, some women bleed for quite awhile, and others, like me, don't bleed at all.

I do think that it is a bit more common for women who have had the DvH and LAVH. Just make sure you talk to your and find out what he/she considers normal as it varies with doctors as well.

As far as being near your period, that really shouldn't matter. If you are on your period at the time of surgery, you will wake up and not be on your period anymore I don't think your normal cycle factors into how much you will bleed after surgery.

I'm hoping you are one of the lucky ones with little or no bleeding!! Best of luck in your surgery and recovery!!

Unread 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Like everyone else said, it varies. I bled bright red the first 2 times I got out of bed the day after surgery. It's now been a week and a day since my DvH and I haven't bled again so far. I held on to a box of pads just in case and keep one in my purse, but so far I haven't even needed a panty liner.

Good luck. So far my DvH recovery has been smooth sailing.
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

I had an LSH, and only bled just a little bit on the day of surgery. I've had a couple days since then (8 months ago) where I've had enough discharge to necessitate a liner for a couple of hours, but that is all. I was also menstruating when I had my operation, and it didn't cause any problems.

HTH! Good luck to you!!
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM

I am 3 days post op DVH. I bled the 1st 2 days now I have no bleeding at all. Pain is VERY manigable. Fatigue is a reminder to relax. Unfortunately you will not know how your body will react until your surgery is over untill than we are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register