Music for stress free surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Music for stress free surgery Music for stress free surgery

Unread 01-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Music for stress free surgery

Hi ladies! I'm back from my 1-9 castle visit and doing great. I came home Friday morning (1-11) and have been healing very quickly. First day home, climbed stairs to bedroom, took a shower (with help from dh), and took lots of little walks with no pain. I am taking it easy, lots of resting and my family and friends have been great throughout the whole ordeal.

I wanted to share with the ladies in waiting that my dr allowed me to bring in my own headphones and cassette player to surgery and to listen to music before, during and after the proceedure. The anestesiologist was extremely supportive and actually turned my tape over and began the next side each time it ended. This eliviated the stress of the preop surgery room, the OR, and the recovery room (which I stayed in for three hours waiting for my room to be ready). I also asked the anestesiologist to repeat "healing statements" to me (that I had written down on a sheet of paper) during and after surgery. I remember her repeating the last ones in recovery.

While neither doctor had ever been asked to do these things, both were very receptive, eager to help, and curious about how and why I wanted to do these things. I explained that we "never stop hearing" and that overhearing comments made in surgery could effect my recovery. Studies have shown that patience recover more completely and quickly when listening to soothing music and hearing healing statements, than those that do not. I can't tell you how happy I was that both were so eager to help me with my little experiment!

I awoke in recovery in an absolutely wonderful mood, well rested and joking with my nurses! The only pain I felt was some milk cramping, less than I normally had! They couldn't believe how well I felt. When the noise from the other patients started to stress me out, I turned up my music, and, no more stress! The tape I chose was "Celtic Quest" and had Celtic pipes and music along with nature sounds of birds, the ocean waves, rain and soft thunder intermixed with the music. I also took the hints from other sisters on bringing my own pillow (since I can't sleep without it), and I took my earplugs and eye mask to sleep with in my room-VERY HELPFUL!

My TAH/BSO was very uneventful, complete success, and I was sitting up in bed later that evening about 8 hours or so later. Started taking walks the next morning and was discharged about 48 hours after surgery. I did have some bladder spasms after the cath was removed, and a short crying jag to accompany that but otherwise much easier than I ever thought possible. My friends came to visit the day after my surgery and couldn't believe I was sitting up, had given myself a short sponge bath, had written my thank you notes, and had put my makeup on!

For anyone who still needs to go through their preop, I would strongly suggest asking your dr for permission to bring your music. If anyone has any questions about the healing statements, or want the name of the book they came from, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone for posting their hints and suggestions, everyone I read came in handy! Thank you Thank you thank you!

Good luck to all those in waiting! Thanks be to God, my waiting is over! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Music & healing statements

I'm very interested in your story & in knowing more about the healing statements you had your anesthesiologist say to you during surgery. How many did you use? What book did you get them out of? How did you find the book? I've heard about the posibility that patients hear comments during surgery and that it can affect them. I believe it's possible but am not sure. I might be embarrassed to ask for my tape to be allowed in surgery & then turned over (& over), and for statements to be read to me. I applaud you for doing so. Your recovery during the 1st few days sounds great. Will you tell me more?
Unread 01-13-2002, 11:59 PM

Was glad that you had an uneventful trip to the castle.

I am a lady in waiting, 7 days and counting. I spent a very long time compiling the music that was going to accompany me on my journey. Thought I would pass on what it is that I am taking. Canon in D by Pachelbel this is not his usual piece of music it is accompanied by ocean sounds...this song in particular can lift the stress right off my shoulders. The other set of CD's that I am taking is a two disk set called the most relaxing classical music in the world ever.

And on the side note if you enjoy celtic sounds try listening to a woman by the name of Loreena Mckinnot my favorite cd of her's is titled the visit.

Thanks for the tips on bringing some healing quotes am going to tag those along too. Am waiting to hear which ones worked for you. Get lots of rest, and good luck on your recovery

K8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 03:39 AM

I have read the book and using the relaxation tapes. I haven't asked my doctor yet if he'll say the healing statements but after your experience I'm calling him today to tell him about it and ask if I can bring my CD player to surgery. Does anyone have any other suggestions for other relaxing music?
Thanks!

shegot
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:20 AM
welcome home

Hugs to you. Welcome to the other side I am sooooo glad that you are doing so well. Please keep up the resting though.
What a wonderful idea of having soothing music and affirmations read to you through out your surgery. Great and willing DRs too to do what you asked. I think that was a truely wonderful idea and glad that it helped. Hopefully someone else will do the same and have it help like it did to you. Keep up the good recovery and keep us posted. Go Girl Go. Hugs Vicki
Unread 01-14-2002, 06:36 AM
Mind and body techniques

Good morning SusanJ, k8eblue, shegot, and Homebody! Thank you all for your prayers good wishes!

Shegot, I too was embarrased to ask my doctors for permission to bring my tape player (especially since someone would have to turn it over and over) and to ask them to speak to me. I'm not normally the kind of person to be so bold. I guess I wanted my recovery to go so well and quickly that God gave me the strength to ask. I did pray the days before that he would reach into their hearts and that they would be receptive! He did, and they were!

Another website (can't remember which one right now) suggested reading the book "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. I ordered mine from half.com since I had time to wait a week or so for it to arrive. Since mine was used, it did not come with the relaxation tape that should have accompanied it, but I used my own and was fine. Amazon.com does have it for sale for about $10.00 new, half.com has it available for as low as $5.00 used. You can also check your local library or ask them to borrow it from a sister library. I chose to have my own copy so I could share it later.

The book covers alot of different topics thought I didn't use all of the techniques. It suggested asking friends to visualize things for you, instead I asked mine to pray. I knew they would anyway, but when friends and family asked what they could do to help me, I got pretty specific on asking them to pray and to pray for peace, strength, and courage for the hour leading up to my surgery. The book was right, as I lay there waiting to go to the OR, I could feel the presence of my friends and family members and feel the presence of God and was suprisingly calm.

Finding this website has given me the courage to ask other sisters for advise, ask my doctors for their help, and the courage to try to help others. I hope that I can give someone else the courage to ask their doctors about it. I will pray that your doctors are just as eager as mine were and that it help you girls as well. My anesthesiologist even asked to keep the page taken from the book with the healing statements on it! I hope that means she will use it again with other patience!

The healing statements are short and to the point, repeated at different times throughout surgery but nothing lengthy or time consuming. The book gives you three pages you can tear right from the book if you wish to use those (I did). The doctor tells you that "following this operation, you will feel comfortable and you will heal very well"; "your operation has gone very well"; "following this operation you will be hungry for (fill in with doctor's recomendation). You will be thirsty and you will urinate easily". The last statement you fill in or ask the doctor to. It starts out "following this operation ___", I chose to fill my own in and finished with "you will wake very rested and relaxed. You will be able to walk with very little pain, and no longer have the desire to smoke or over eat". Now, that may seem kind of funny, but I am trying to quit smoking, and since I'm already a few pounds overweight (ok, maybe 20 or 30!), I didn't want to spend the next two months eating from boredom! Both seem to be doing rather well.

Good luck with what ever you decide! If any of you do ask your drs about this, please keep me posted and tell me how it turns out for you if you use them!

God bless you all!
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:36 PM

The thought occurred to me that you could actually tape whatever positive statements you wanted to hear yourself. Make your own tape with your own variety of music. That way, you wouldn't need to ask anyone to read anything to you, only to keep the tape going for you.
Unread 01-16-2002, 10:34 AM

how wonderful!! please let me know the name of the book too!!
Unread 01-18-2002, 05:47 AM

Hey spenc....i can't find "The women's guide to hysterectomy.....", anywhere. It's coming out again in January but hello it's January 18th and I can't wait anymore. I went to our half price book store last night and couldn't find it there either. no luck with the library!!
Anybody have one they want to sell and overnight to me?

Unread 01-18-2002, 08:25 AM
HEALING MESSAGES

YES THE BIBLE ALSO HAS MANY HEALING TRUTHS THAT GOD HAS GIVEN US.
WE ARE HEALED BY HIS STRIPES.
GOD HAS NOT GIVEN ME A SPIRIT OF FEAR.
HE UPHOLDS ME WITH HIS RIGHT HAND.

I HAVE MY CD'S ALL READY TO GO. MY DAY IS FEB 12, 2002 TUESDAY. I WILL HAVE SOMEONE READING SCRIPTURE TO ME WHEN I AM RECOVERING.
GOD BLESS YOU ...
I HOPE I DO AS WELL AS YOU.

SANDY SMITH [email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register