I dont think I can do this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I dont think I can do this... I dont think I can do this...

Unread 01-14-2002, 06:37 AM
I dont think I can do this...

Hi everyone,I'll try not to make this too long. My TVH,A&P repair,bilateral repair,vesica bladder neck suspension and cysto, are this thursday the 17th. I am so scared that I think I want to cancle. I am prolapsed, a stage 4 , so I dont know how much longer I can go on this way!! I dont know what a cysto is.... does that mean they are lookng for something and havent told me? I am scared to go "under" and Im afraid of reactions to any of the meds they might give me. Of course if they give me something to completely relax me, that would help. Im also worried about the gas and constipation after it is over. I can only imagine that the constipationHAS to get better than it is now!!! Does anyone know how bad the bladder suspension is? Will I have to go home with a catheter? I dont think I could handle that. Im such a wimp.! These boards have been wonderful and find my self on here constantly.I dont know what I'd do without them! Thanks so much everyone!! Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 07:10 AM
Scared also

Hello, I don't know if I can be much help to you but I can tell you this I am just as scared as you are. My surgery is set for 1-18-02 and I am worried about going under and not waking up to my family. I am 32 and a woman of size, I have put this surgery off for over a year now and well the pain has gotten worse. I have decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy. Especially since my last cycle was a couple of days ago. During that time of pain and heavy bleeding, fatigue, anemic, etc. I know this is the best thing for me to do. Keep me posted on your outcome and always have faith in the Lord....he will bring you through.

LIW
Janifer
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:12 AM

hi jody,
my sugery is jan.24; and i'm scared to death too. i've had panic attacts in the past, and know that i've come close to panic just thinking about all this. honestly, i got a presciption from my PCP for a small does of xanax for the last few days before surgery- otherwise i know i'll never make it to the hospital..lol. besides that, i've started gathering soothing music to listen to prior to surgery. i've also started visualizing myself in preop and the operating room surrounded by angels and being watched over by God. and i see the docs and nurses as gods helpers- there to take care of me and make me "all better". gee, hope this soesn't sound to weird- but it's helping me a lot. good luck; i keep reading that the waiting is the worst part. eva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 08:17 AM

Yes, I was as scared as you before undergoing a TAH. I "tried" to cancel the morning of the surgery by suggesting to the anesthesialogist that I was coming down with a cold! He examined me and didn't think so.. Then I came up with another "problem" hoping that would get me out of it!. He said it wouldn't prevent me from having the operation... I reminded myself why I was having the surgery and that it was necessary. Yes, they can give you sedatives to relax you. I took everything they offered. If going under bothers you- is it possible they can do this with regional anesthesia (possibly not because you are having several procedures done). I tried to have my TAH done regionally , but ended up having general as they were having difficulty with my spine and it was taking a long time.

I was pretty heavily sedated by then so I didn't care! I had no ill effects from the general anesthesia but some people do. I don't remember having much problem with gas, but my doctor had recommended I have a suppository while in the hospital. None of the nurses would give it to me despite his order (they say you can avoid gas by walking. I was already walking quite a bit.) I told him what happened, and he made sure I got it. You can have a problem with constipation after you get home. I drank a lot of water and ate big salads and fruit- and did not have any problem

After it was over, I was glad I didn't cancel!
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:44 AM

Hi JodyS

I too am fearful of general anesthesia........actually this is my biggest fear. Many patients get a script for a mild sedative they can take at home if the anxiety gets to be too much to handle.
Call your doc today and speak with his nurse........this won't be new to her.........and I have found the nurses seem a little more sympathetic than the doc.

As far as the catheter, my experience from working in a ob/gyn office is that most patient's do go home with a catheter after bladder surgery. Your bladder will need a few x-tra days rest. Somewhere between 7-10 days post op, the patient's came to the office to have it removed and they were all happy to see it go!!!

I have a friend who had a sling procedure last year, best thing she ever did, she hated the catheter because it was a hassle
but says now it was worth it!! No more incontinence or embarressment for her!!!!

Hope this info helps.............keep posting.......I am finding this to be a great outlet for my concerns, fears and tears!!!!

Sending good thoughts your way!!!!
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:05 AM

Hi Jody,

My surgery is tomorrow and I'm terrified too. I've spoken with my doctor at length about my fears and he said in no uncertain terms that it would be nothing less than a freak thing for anything to happen like death, etc. in an otherwise healthy person. He said it was really safe these days, and it's a very routine procedure. He suggested I talk to the nurses before the surgery because they're used to calming people down, and to tell the nurses post-op that you're frightened, etc. They can be a great support for you.

My prayers are with you Jody I'm sure we'll be comparing notes in a week or two over how well the surgery went and how the waiting really is the hardest part

Heidi
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:20 AM

I'm sorry you are miserable! For me, it helped to remember that I did have a choice and I was doing this surgery voluntarily! It may help to write all your questions down and then have a chat with your dr or the office nurse. Sure beats what I did which was to call every other day with a new anxiety (I was still asking questions on the way to the OR!).

There are lots of options for pain control. Each works better for some than for others. And even after the surgery you can get something different if the first thing doesn't work! I wanted a Patient-controlled-anesthesia pump (you click and get a dose) because I knew I would be alone (DH and I have 3 little kids) the first night and my nighmare was losing the call button for the nurses. I was so nutty I wouldn't go to the OR til it was in place.

Some docs will give you a mild sedative to take for a few days before your procedure. Mine did, but I ended up not taking it because I went into "gotta get it done" overdrive the last few days and just didn't need it.

I think a "cysto" is a cystoscopy which is looking into your bladder with a light. I had one but didn't know it til I read my operative report.

Best of luck!

Dorrie
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:24 AM

Jody,

Please take a deep breath and say to yourself, "I CAN DO THIS!!"

Try and think about the quality of life you will have AFTER the surgery instead of dwelling on the actual surgery itself. The surgery is just the beginning of what will be the rest of your life, nobody wants to live with constant bleeding, pain, being tired all the time, et. You would be hard pressed to find any woman on this site that "regrets" having her hysterectomy. I, myself, feel terrific and have not spent one minute regreting my decision.

It sounds like you are having some pretty extensive "work" done. Obviously, you must have some pretty awful symptoms to deal with everyday, imagine how WONDERFUL you are going to feel after your surgery! Most women feel like a new person!

Please remember, the waiting is the hardest part.

I'm wishing you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:25 AM

Hi Jody, I am sorry that you're having such a difficult time before your surgery. Mine won't be for another month, and I've worried about it since November. The stress can really be hard to deal with. I will be having a lot of the same procedures done as you, and I spent a lot of time researching on the web, searching this site, and talking to my doctors. I think that your term "cysto" refers to a cystocele repair. You can search this site for info, it's such a help. I also would recommend calling your doctor's office. If the Dr. can't talk with you, there should be a nurse that can explain things to you more clearly and hopefully reduce your fears. I am having a cystocele repair, and was/am freaked out about the catheter! I've read both good and bad , but felt much better after talking with the urologist. Mine told me that it would be uncommon to be sent home with a catheter and he predicts only 1 or 2 days with a catheter...perhaps he is sugar coating it, but I am going to hope it's one day! Also, I was, like you, uneasy about the general (I think it is a common fear to worry that you won't wake up) but then realized that I'll be in the best place if there is a problem, I'll be monitored. It will probably be harder on my DH as he will be waiting, and I'll be snoozing! Good luck to you and I hope your doctor's office will be able to answer alot of your questions..if I continue to worry at the rate I am, I might call my doc for an RX too!LOL. Ya know this site helps me remember that I'm not alone, and if so many others can do this, I can too. You are not alone, Jody. Let us know how you're doing! Amy
Unread 01-14-2002, 10:32 AM

Hi Jody!

Your nerves are totally normal. I was in a total panic before my sugery. Today I am one week post-op & am feeling GREAT! All you ladies will do just wonderfully!

About the cath...I had the LAVH and mine came out the next morning after surgery. However, my roomie had bladder repairs done and had to go home with hers. I know she wasn't thrilled about that. It will all be worth it in the long run. You will be so happy when it is all over and done with...I know I am!

I will be thinking about all of you LIW's. Take good care of YOU & soon you will be on the other side (post-op).

A great big for you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register