Complications/bad effects of a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complications/bad effects of a hysterectomy Complications/bad effects of a hysterectomy

Unread 01-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Complications/bad effects of a hysterectomy

Hello ladies, my doctors want to give me a hysterectomy but I want to do detailed research first. Can any of you tell me about any complications or bad effects your hysterectomy has had on you? I would sure appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 12:13 PM

Lilshann,

I did not have any problems with a TAH. Remember, all surgery has risk (even death), but overall hysterectomy is quite safe. Over 500,000 are done each year, and the percent with serious complications is low.

There are a lot of really good articles on webmd.com about hysterectomy and the conditions for which the surgery is appropriate. The articles also discuss alternative treatment to hysterectomy.

You doctor should discuss with you the reasons he/she feels you should have a hysterectomy, and should identify any risks, and the chance of that risk occurring. If not ,see another doctor. You should probably have a second (or third) opinion anyway when undergoing major surgery.
Unread 01-14-2002, 12:24 PM

Dear Lilshann:

Can't help you with bad stories, cause I had a very positive experience, with little pain, no post op bleeding, and no complications.

But I can relate to wanting to do research. I did. Check out Vicki's links at the top of the forum. I found they led to some very informative sites.

During my search on Yahoo, I did find some very anti-hyst sites. I read what they had to say, but I didn't subscribe to the radical view that a hyst was comparable to *******ion. I was indignant that some would place such a judgement on a decision that I had made to relieve me of pain, heavy bleeding and the resulting anemia.

In the end, it is up to YOU to arm yourself with all the info you need, talk to your DR, and come to the decision that is right for you.

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 12:36 PM

Hi! In answer to your question, I have had some challenges since having my hysterectomy in August, but I 'm not even all that sure if they are related to the surgery. I was found to have hypothyroidism a few months after...it could be the shock to my body from the surgery or maybe it would have happened anyway. I have a tendency to believe the latter because I had problems with this 30 yrs. ago after the birth of my first baby. My blood pressure has been a little higher than normal since the hyst? But, again is this because of the hyst? I don't know. Other than that, I feel better than I did before my hysterectomy. However, this surgery is one that takes awhile to recover from. I believe, at 6-8 weeks post-op we are only about 40% healed. It can take up to a year to be completely healed internally. This is something you may want to discuss with your physician before making your decision. Or do some research on that aspect of it.

You may want to get a second opinion before deciding to have this major surgery. Also check out our OPTIONS AND ALTERNATIVES message board. The Helpful Links at the top of the pre-op page would also be good to check.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372

Best of luck in your research! s

Sherry
Unread 01-14-2002, 01:34 PM

Hi, Lilshann,

I can't help you, either. My hysterectomy improved my lifestyle. I had no complications, and I have no complaints. I'm glad I had the surgery.

I'd like to reinforce what the other ladies have already said. You didn't say why your doctor recommended the surgery, and you don't sound like you want to have a hysterectomy. There are often other options available to women who've been advised to have this surgery. You're smart to be doing research. This website offers a wealth of information. If you're only interested in negative information, I'm sure you'll be able to find some. If you do choose a hysterectomy, it really helps to have a positive attitude about it. A positive attitude seems to make recovery easier.

Hysterectomy is usually chosen to improve the woman's lifestyle. I'd advise any woman who's considering a hysterectomy to get at least two medical opinions, and maybe more. If you don't want to have the surgery, there are probably other things you can try, like medications and other, less drastic, surgical procedures. Whatever you choose, you're the one who'll have to live with the results, so be sure you have enough information to choose the right thing for YOU.

Best wishes,
princesssh
Unread 01-14-2002, 02:39 PM

Add me to the list of the ones with no problemo! Other than burning my stomach on the heating pad (duh) I had no complications. Surgery went fine, hospital stay was uneventful(except for the gag me with a spoon food), recovery was as expected and the pain was very manageable.... Now I feel great like I was told I would. No more enemia, bloating, bleeding, cramping, headaches or PMS! Yipee!
I hope you have as easy time as I did!
Best wishes to you!!!
Unread 01-14-2002, 02:59 PM

No major problems. I had a sub-Q hematoma (I believe from doing too much) but that isn't a major complication. I have had some menopausal symptoms (kept ovaries), which suprised me but most of the ladies here had their symptoms go away in a month or so. Most of my friends that have had hysters had no problems. I have one friend recoverying from an abdominal hyster. Unforunately, she has had some blood clots show up in her lung and one in her leg. I think blood clot problems can be a side effect of any kind of abd. surgery, not just hysters. You can ask your dr. about this, since, I'm not sure.
Good luck in your decison, you are very smart to research it before you go either way.
Tam
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:21 PM

Hi there!

I had one teeny complication and that was a very mad bladder for about 5 months, but now (thank heaven) it seems to have settled down. I am thrilled that I got my TVH, and almost wish I could have another one --I'd love to have the time off work, and the recovery was a piece of cake (because I had an awesome doctor and I was a very good princess)!

Good luck in making your decision. If you want the stories about rough hysterectomies, I'd go to the road-less-traveled board.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:05 PM

I had a nerve caught in a stitch. Hurt like the dickens. After a year I can still feel the tiniest little tingle there.

If I knew ahead of time that having the TAH would result in this, I *would* do it in a second. Compared to everything I went through beforehand, this little problem is nothing.

It's good that you are researching everything. I'd love to be able to say "go for it, we're all fine, you will be too", but there *are* risks. The thing to do is to consider how likely you are to have something go wrong, and how bad would it be, really (like my problem, which is really nothing to worry about, but probably "counts" technically as a complication).

There are risks (some biggies!) in driving to work, but we usually decide it's worth it, and drive anyway. Imagine if people who got into accidents created web sites devoted to the dangers of driving, and tried to convince others that they shouldn't drive because you can become crippled, in constant pain, or even be killed. Those things are true, but we accept those risks because it's worth it to us for the benefits we gain from driving. I look at the risks of a hyst the same way.

Something else to weigh in your decision would be the "complications or bad effects" of *not* having a hyst. Possibly ongoing pain, anemia, poor health, inability to stick with a fitness program, awful sex life (and often relationship problems), social isolation, disrupted sleep, limited career and hobby choices (6 hours on a trade show floor, anyone? long hike in the middle of nowhere?), being spaced, tired, or distracted while driving, etc. Take an objective look at how life might turn out post-not-hyst, and see if that is something you would choose.

Best of luck with gathering info. Knowledge is powerful stuff.
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:11 PM

I am five weeks post-op and have not had any complications so far. I still have not gotten all my energy yet, I still have a lot of healing going on.

Marybeth you are not the only sister who got burns from the heating pad.

When I went for my 2 wk post-op my Dr. notice red mark on my stomach and thought it was a rash and give me antiboitics, the next day it turn in to blisters.

I went to sleep with heating pad/ pain med (that brainfog at work)

Jocelin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register