Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Fibroids

Can you tell me the symptoms of fibroids that you were suffering from? Thanks Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Symptoms

Dear Cathy:

My symptoms included heavy bloating around the time of my period, painful cramps, but most debilitating was the heavy bleeding and clots.

The bleeding could be a whoosh, and I'd have to run to the washroom. I remember reading once that the "normal" amount of blood loss during a period was 1/3 to 1/2 a cup. Hah! I could do that in one "sitting"!

This eventually led to anaemia. I had an extremely low red blood count, and the pills I was on upset my stomach. I just couldn't seem to get better.

Now, at 7 weeks post op, I am feeling stronger than before, though I do tire somewhat after doing too much.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Fibroids

Cathy,

Most of the time fibroids have no symptoms at all. Sometimes (usually the smaller fibroids) can cause periods that are longer and heavier than normal. Very large fibroids can cause pain when they degenerate (outgrow blood supply). Very large fibroids can put pressure on the bladder, rectum, and occasionally the ureter. You might experience constipation, frequent urination, or less commonly urinary retention. I had over 25 fibroids, including one that was the size of a bowling ball- I had a TAH after many years of "watchful waiting" (and bladder problems/pain which I no longer have) .

Since these symptoms can indicate other conditions ,you should consult with your physician. I'll be happy to answer other questions you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Fibroids

Hi Cathy,

What I feel is like I'm sitting on a grapefruit. Always feel pressure on my bladder and I have a constant back ache as well.

Whatever you are feeling be sure to talk with your doc about.

Laurie
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:36 PM
Fibroids

Hi Cathy, My symptoms of my fibroids were longer and heavier periods. My normal period would last 5 days. About 2 yrs ago, my periods got heavier and longer, increasing to 2 weeks. That's when I tried bcp. The pills seemed to help initally, but after 2 months my periods started to last 3 weeks. It got to the point of where my period was non stop, heavy, passing clots to spotting all the time. I had a non stop period for 6 months before my hysterectomy. I tried different types of pills, different hormones to try to regulate the bleeding but nothing helped. I became anemic and got tired of bleeding all the time, that's when I threw in the towel and decided to have the surgery. Another symptom I had was I would have painful bowel movements on my real heavy flow days. I guess that was due to the fibroids or uterus pressing on my bowels. I'm happy to say, those problems are gone along with my uterus. If you have any questions, email me and I will help out where ever I can.
Jan
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:56 PM
Fibroids...

Hi Cathy...I too had fibroids, a couple big ones and covered with small ones. I think we all have very similar symptoms involving the heavy and or prolonged bleeding, bloating, and pressure on the bowel or bladder etc. The fibroids just truly give you an uncomfortable feeling, I suppose moreso when they are bigger and causing problems for these other organs. My biggest complaint about them was the constant pressure and how extremely bloated I always was. I actually looked pregnant and was approached by a woman about when I was due the day before my surgery. I laughed and told her that as of tomorrow, all this mess is history. Anyway, good luck to you. Has your doc told you that you have fibroids?
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:21 PM
Fibroids

Suddenly, at 35, I started getting bad cramps like I had at 12-15. I had been on the pill for 20 years, and it had helped, but suddenly quit helping.

Over 3 years, from 35-38, I had progressively worsening:
- Cramps (Aleve helped some)
- Heavy bleeding (could not go out of house or do much)
- Flooding
- Clots (blecch)
- Long, frequent periods (7-10 days, twice a month)
- One 30-day-long period toward the end
- Back achiness (during period)
- Leg achiness/heaviness (during period)
- Intestinal cramping and diarrhrea (during period)
- Weakness, tiredness, feeling wiped out (during period)
- Painful sex (thought it was an ovary getting bumped)
- Caught everything that came along - badly - colds, flu, etc.

Everything continued to get worse, while my doctor tried about 9 kinds of BCPs. We tried continuous BCPs, and that's where I got into the 30-day-long period (heavy, not just spotting).

It got to the point that I could not do anything other than hang around the house during my period. I had to turn away all my clients because I could not even drive to their offices, or sit though meetings. I could not even take my horse 15 minutes away (in the trailer) to turn her out to play on her own (nevermnd riding!) because the bleeding was so heavy I wouldn't have made it that far without a bathroom stop. When it got that bad, finally, my doctor was willing to consider that maybe it wasn't just "normal". Rrrrr. But I digress.

All, every one, of the above problems has been completely resolved by my hyst.

I had two fibroids, about the size of golfballs, one inside, one outside. It doesn't take much, does it?

Best of luck!
Unread 01-14-2002, 06:31 PM
Fibroids

My Ob/Gyn suspected that fibroids may have contributed to my pre-term labor situation 11 years ago (8 weeks in & out of the hospital, always on bedrest, thank goodness for great medical care and a healthy DD). Now, 11 years later.... nearly 3 years of abnormal bleeding, initially during/after intercouse. Then periods that increased in length and intensity -- bleed for 6-then 8 - then 10 - then 12 days at a time. The cramping and aching pain all increased over time, as did the bowel problems. I developed a heavy aching pain throughout my pelvic area, and pain which radiated down my legs. Last May, I started to bleed (huge clots, trips to the emergency clinic, passing out, more clots, ick, ick, ick) and have had no more than 10 "good" days since then. My MD has tried everything that I have asked and was relieved when I finally asked for a TAH. He was actually amazed at how heavily I was still bleeding after all of the treatment he tried. At my pre-op, he expressed a concern that there may be something else going on in there....we'll see...

talk with your doctor and be comfortable with his/her diagnosis....don't get tooooo frustrated, like I did!!

Janet
Unread 01-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Fibroids

Yes, I have been diagnosed with fibroids. My surgery date is January 28. Just recently I have noticed that I am more bloated and have more pressure in my pelvic area. I also noticed that I am more constipated. My uterus is the size of a 4 month pregnancy. I also have the heavy bleeding, cramping, and clotting. I am anemic due to the heavy periods. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the bloating and heavy feeling in the pelvic area? Also. have the backaches. Even after reading this I still question myself as to whether I am doing the right thing. This has been a most difficult decision for me. I just wanted some reassurance that yes indeed my symptoms could very well be related to fibroids. Thanks so much for all the input. It is most appreciated. Cathy
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Fibroids

Dear Cathy, I also have the bloated feeling. I am going on the 16th for my surgery. At 5ft 1in and with a fibroid 15cm by 15cm I look pregnant. I have been asked that so many time I even dreamed that after my surgery they had it in a towel showing it like a baby. Good luck on your day. DV

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register