Burch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Burch

Have any of you had a Burch procedure? What was your experience? I keep hearing that bladder corrections have a high failure rate. Also, did you go home with a cath?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 04:07 AM
Burch

I didn't have this procedure. Just wanted to bump this up in hopes that others will see this and come along and offer you their support.
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:29 AM
Burch

Hi there !

I had a Burch repair along with my TAH. So far so good for me. It was for stress incontinence (while snezzing or coughin) and so far has helped. I did not have to come home with a catheter. The nurse took mine out at 6:00 a.m. in the morning and I was going on my own a half hour later. Drink lots of water in the castle.....i think that really helped.

Best of luck to you !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 07:55 AM
bladder worries

hi there

I had a bladder suspension. I'm not sure how close that is to having a burch. Heck It could be the same thing for all i know LOL. Anyway I no longer sneeze and piddle anymore. Even this early in the game. I'm 3 1/2 weeks post. My bladder is tender and when i have to go "I gotta go!!" but this is due to the tenderness of the surgery. It is getting a lot better every day. I personally am glad i had it done
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Burch

I had a Burch for mild stress incontin. and it's working for me. At first, I went home with a cath. kit. I had to self cath. for one day. It is not as bad as I thought. Once, I got the hang of self. cath. it was faster and I could get back to bed sooner. After surgery, I had urge incontinence. I had to retrain my bladder (we called it potty training:-) to hold liquids for longer. Bascially, I had to work up to holding my urine for four hours and all night long. It took about three months of "potty training" and now I'm back to normal. I have been through a couple of bouts of ashmatic bronchitis with no leakage. The only time I have leakage is in some sexual positions, so now, I just avoid the ones that cause it (not sure how to bring that one up with Dr. ?).
The incision was very sensitive but with massage/time it is pretty much back to normal.
Good luck making your decision. Researching it is a good thing. My doc. has a pretty good success rate and he says if I keep my weight down (I'm underwt., so no problem), and (oh yeah, almost forgot this part) don't pick up over 25 pounds (forever!) then it should last. I still can't believe the weight limit, since, he didn't mention it and I didn't ask before surgery (oophs).
Again, good luck.
Tam
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Burch

i'm not familiar with "burch" so bear with me if i sound dumb.
tomorrow im having a tah, and a bladder tack, (same thing)?
for years i have had very frequent urinating, never sleep thru the nite and the whole cough and sneeze embarrassments.
my dr said i would go home with acathedar for a week until my post op. im not thrilled, but im sure in the summer, im going to be a happy happy girl!
imagine only having to pee a normal amount of times per day and sleeping and not being afraid to have a cold.!!!
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Burch

That's exactly what I'm having tomorrow, a Burch and a hysterectomy. I was worried about coming home with a cath., but from these responses, I've figured out either a)I'll come home with one, but it won't be too bad or gross, or b) I'll have it out before I leave the "castle." Again, this board has been so helpful. I'll see you on the other side!
Georgia from Texas
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:50 PM
I had one

In Oct 98 I had a burch with cystocele and rectocele repair without hysterectomy....my choice, I didn't want one. The plan was for them to remove cath 1 day post op and I was to self cath until I could go on my own. Well the pain from the rectocele repair was so bad that everytime I sat on the "hat" the stitches throbbed. I could not manage the self cath, my nightgown and stand up to do it, so I ended up with a bladder inf and a foley back in. Went home 4th day withthe foley for another week. However, when it came out, I could pee just fine on my own. Never knew how pleasant it was to pee!!
Don't want to scare you, but yours probably won't be as difficult. Anyway, the repairs have been just fine, no leakage. My problem now is a 2nd degree prolapse of the uterus. At the time doc & I thought the cysto and bladder were pulling down and the surgery would be fine. It turns out now that the uterus is now pushing down the bladder causing chronic bladder inf due to inability to empty. So here I go again....still searching though for a way to keep my uterus, just because it is otherwise a healthy part of my body. Best of luck to you....
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Burch Procedure

I had a TAVH and a Burch procedure 4/2/01, for stress incontinence while sneezing, coughing, yelling etc. I came home after 21/2 days with a suprapubic catheter, which is comes out of a small "hole" under the 3 inch repair incision I had. I wore it for a week, while clamping and unclamping it to retrain the bladder. I was so afraid that it would hurt to have it removed! It was absolutely painless- it tickled, in fact. The BEST part was gettin it removed. The more you learn to go on your own at the hospital lets the doctor know how long you have to have it in. The surgery worked very well as I was healing, but I find that I still have the same problem now when I get a yeast infection or irritation. Good luck in your decision.
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Burch Procedure

I had a TAVH and a Burch procedure 4/2/01, for stress incontinence while sneezing, coughing, yelling etc. I came home after 21/2 days with a suprapubic catheter, which is comes out of a small "hole" under the 3 inch repair incision I had. I wore it for a week, while clamping and unclamping it to retrain the bladder. I was so afraid that it would hurt to have it removed! It was absolutely painless- it tickled, in fact. The BEST part was gettin it removed. The more you learn to go on your own at the hospital lets the doctor know how long you have to have it in. The surgery worked very well as I was healing, but I find that I still have the same problem now when I get a yeast infection or irritation. Good luck in your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register