When to color hair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to color hair? When to color hair?

Unread 01-14-2002, 07:56 PM
When to color hair?

How long will it be after surgery until I can lie back in the reclining shampoo chair? (I know this isn't life or death, but I'm just trying to cover all my bases :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 08:04 PM
When to color hair?

Why not get your hair colored right before your surgery?

I did a complete day of beauty two days before my surgery...haircut, color, style, manicure, pedicure, and eyebrow waxing.

I felt terrific and it really relaxed me.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:06 PM
When to color hair?

Hi! My roommate has a shop and said that she has had customers that had problems going back in a chair 4 weeks post op. I noticed your sgn on name- Are you from Alaska ? (my FAVORITE state. I go to the castle on Wed. the 16th. Hope this info helps answr your question. DV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 08:07 PM
When to color hair?

Of course, it's life or death! Are you kidding? Kidding aside...I think only you will be able to decide. If you are having a TAH it may be a little uncomfortable for a while because it does kind of stretch the abdominal muscles to do that. Actually I learned there are alot of things that stretch the tummy muscles that I had never thought of before. I had a TVH and probably could have done that at 4 weeks, although sitting for any length of time really bothered me, but I'm not too sure it would have been comfortable for the abs at that point. I think you will just have to play it by ear. Before I had my surgery I went to the hairdresser for the works...haircut and color, nails, pedicure...I didn't have to worry about my hair for 6 weeks so that worked out fine for me.

Sherry
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing...lol

My surgery is on the 31st of Jan. and I have a hair appt. for the 25th of Jan.. I usually make my appointment for the next "do" when I'm there, so, I am hoping to make an appt. between 4 and 6 weeks from my surgery. My roots shouldn't be TOO bad by then, I hope...
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:56 PM
When to color hair?

I guess I will try to have my hair colored a few days before my surgery, even though I won't really need it then. My problem is that my hair grows really fast and by 4 weeks my roots need attention. Oh well, I'll just do what I can do.

I was thinking about a manicure, facial, and pedicure, too. Did any of you have toe nail polish removed for your surgery? Maybe they don't do this anymore but the last time I had surgery, about 15 years ago, they removed the polish off my big toes because they said they wanted to be able to check my color for proper circulation.
Unread 01-15-2002, 02:54 AM
When to color hair?

I had my hair colored and trimmed the night before my surgery. I didn't have to worry about my hair while I was in the castle. Then I went and had my hair done on the next session at 5 weeks post-op and it was sore but very manageable. My roommate at the castle uses the same stylist. She had been in to have her hair done the day before we had our surgeries. My hospital roommate and I had never met before. At 5 weeks post-op we saw each other in the salon having our hair done. I highly recommmend a day of beauty prior to this surgery.
Unread 01-15-2002, 03:05 AM
this was important to me too

This is funny because I was soooo concerned about my HAIR too. Takes your mind off less pleasant parts, I think. Anyway I have hair that grows quickly with the root issue too. I had my hair colored 3 days before my surgery and then 4 weeks after.

The sisters are all completely right on this one. Only you will be able to determine if you'll be comfortable sitting at the beauty shop for the time required. I worried about getting upright from the shampoo chair. Luckily I was able to do it without difficulty. At 3 weeks I had trouble sitting for an hour in church on a wooden pew. The following week I was fine at the styling salon. Go figure! I needed a long rest afterwards, though.

While in the castle I kept waiting for a nurse, any of the 15 I had, to comment on the fab hair. Didn't happen. They couldn't get past my pale complexion. THEN I went for my 4 week post op check up and what is the first thing the nurse says to me....."GREAT HAIR"

Wilma
Unread 01-15-2002, 04:49 AM
When to color hair?

You might want to check with your stylist. I have had more than my share of surgeries and I know that I have been told at least six weeks for any color or perms due to the anesthesia that gets into your hair folicles and affects how the hair will accept the chemicals. Good luck!
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:02 AM
When to color hair?

I went at two weeks, I felt so much better just getting out of the house that it didn't matter that my incision ached. But my stylist made the comment that I was a little too pale for her taste and threatened to send my across the street to the gyn's office. I had not colored my hair until that day, and I sick to death of seeing grey. I also had another piercing put in one ear that day. Maybe I was just in post op "crisis" mode or something

Everyone is different. I went to a soccer game at six days simply because I needed a change of scenery. At two days I needed to be out of the hospital, at six days I needed to be out of the house. My DH wanted to kill me, but I was very cautious and did only what I felt like doing. Always napped every day, took it easy.

Ask your doc what he/she thinks about what activities are appropriate and when. You can always reschedule appointments if you don't feel up to the activity on any given day. If you feel like going to the store, have someone take you with the understanding that you may want to go home in 5 minutes. Try to be patient and willing to listen when your BODY is telling your MIND what you should be doing. If the body says "stop", you really need to listen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register