When to color hair? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to color hair? When to color hair?

Unread 01-15-2002, 06:09 AM
When to color hair?

KodiaKid,

My doctor did not make me remove my nail or toe polish. When I went to my pre-op I made a point of asking my doctor and the hospital if nail or toe polish would have to be removed. In my case, it did not.

As you will find, every doctor, and hospital is different, some require you to come in with bare nails, others have "no problem" with some color.

I'm sure you'll look gorgeous for your big day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 07:06 AM
When to color hair?

My toenails and fingernails were painted...I didn't ask them if I needed to remove it and they didn't say anything about it at all. My mom did though....she's a nurse. She told me I should take it off. I left it on though because it made me feel better.

Sherry
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:18 AM
Reply to when to color hair?

Isn't it amazing the little detailes we are soo concerned with?
Especially before a major surgery! Anyway, I too was concerned about what to do with my hair, I don't color it so that wasn't the issue, the thing was that I have long hair down to mid back, I know what a pain in the neck it can be when I am feeling well not to mention being incapasitated for a few days. I had my hair put into a french braid so the only thing I had to mess with was my bangs. The stylist gelled it up and did it while it was still damp, so she got all the little fly aways, then she sprayed it real good, of course I went home and did it the way I like it, cause if mamma aint happy aint nobody happy! Anyway I wanted my nails done too but unfortunately my finances would not accomidate a manicure, besides my nails are short and brittle, and I can't stand acrylics, I heard about using denture cleaning tabs to get them white, they are like alkaselter tabs, you drop in two and set hair fingertips in there while they disolve about 5 min. they came out a little better than I expected, then I just filed them and buffed them. My toenails I wasn't worried about I was worried they wern't going to let me wear socks, cause my feet get so cold, but they actually provided them for us, they had these little grippers on the bottom so if we needed to walk somewhere, we wouldn't slipp and fall.
But to tell you the truth after the surgery my appearance was the least of my concerns, but everyone who came to visit including my Dr. said I looked great for someone who just went through major surgery. But I do agree if its in your budget go ahead and treat yourself to all the beautifying you can, you may want to keep your nail polish clear though as some times they need to see the color while you are in OR.
I say go all the way, do everything you can afford to do now because it's gonna be a while before you will be able to do ANYTHING post op, if you even feel like it .

Good luck, will keep you all in my prayers,
GOD BLESS
Cadetta

TAH/BSO Adenomyosis, suspected endo, very heavy periods w/clotting since age 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Take a pillow

HI:

I had my TAH on November 22nd, and went for a colour on December 15th.

I took a pillow with me, and that helped. Also, I got up and walked around a bit.

My stylist was most understanding-- she'd had a hyst the year before.

As for nail polish, check with the pre-op instuctions. Mine said that polish was a

Take care!!
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:41 AM
To color or not?

I color my hair and I also happen to be a hairdresser, but am now a teacher, elementary school, but worked for 13 years in a salon. I did my hair the day before my hyst. then to be honest I can't remember when I did it again. I do know that the reply about the wait because it can cause a diffenences in the results is true. My color took at least 6 weeks to get a normal color. I still colored it inbetween because I am very gray and even being blonde don't cover that. Anyway the answer is don't expect too much if it is soon after the surgery. Perms are diffently out they will do weird things. My advice is color before and then wait at least 4 weeks before doing it again. My hormones even do weird things to my hair, your hair is very sensitive. God Bless and get that head in shape now
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:37 PM
hair appointment

Hello,

jUst a quick note about your haircolor. I am a stylist, so I see this alot.
Don't freak out if your "normal" color or perm looks a little different after surgery. The chemicals that are put into our bodies all come out in your hair. Also, sometimes hormones can change our hair texture, elasticity, and the way it accepts chemicals. Just make sure your stylist knows the medicnes you have taken.
Good luck everyone
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:24 PM
and I thought I was the only one!

Just tonight on the way home from work I stopped at the beauty supply to pick up my hair colors, etc. I'm going to do my touchup two nights before the surgery. This way I've got something planned, a nice distraction instead of writing "worry and don't sleep" in that night's calendar box!

I was going to forego the touchup prior to surgery but felt I'd recover better not having to look at that pesky streak of white. It may look great on Bonnie Raitt, but not on me.

I'll probably schedule a pedicure for Tuesday night but I'm letting go on the nails until post-op.

For our own benefit, it's great to look great. We deserve it!

Carole
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:26 PM
a quick fix for grey roots

Hey ladies I am a sylist and of course this sugestion will only work on those of you whose growout is lighter than the colored part so usually just works for grey coverage but if that is needed you can go to a beauty supply house that sells to the public and they sell these handy dandy little "crayons" ( cross between a crayon and a lipstick cuz it is in a tube) to cover roots and they work great. A client told me about them and I told my sissy cuz we do her hair every 6- 8 wks( she's a busy gal and her grwout starts showing at three weeks the way she wears her hair and the amount of grey. They work best to put on wet hair just where it shows and will not rub off or stain pillows.They come in four shades or so. And lasts till next washing. My sister thinks she has the original tube from1 1/2 years ago or it is her second so they really go along way. Hope this helps and keeps you feeling pretty- I hate grey showing through!!! ( not that I HAVE grey hair )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register