Cysplatin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:32 AM
Cysplatin

Hello all,

I am getting ready to start a round of radiation (I had a hys. for cervical cancer, but the lesion was large, and they are recommending radiation as an extra precaution even though all my lymph nodes were clear) and my doc is recommending a low dose of the chemo drug cysplatin for the 5 weeks of my radiation to sensitize any possible cancer cells to the radiation.

If any of you sisters have used this drug for your chemo, I'd love to hear your experiences/side effects, etc.

Thanks,

Joanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:07 AM
Cysplatin

I searched Cisplatin for you. This is page tells you all about Cisplatin as well as the side effects. Hope it answers your questions! Best of luck to you!!
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/4046.3731
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Cysplatin

Hi Joanie,
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it sounds like with the radiation and cisplatin they are looking after you very well.

I was on cisplatin for 28 days over a 70 day period for ovarian cancer and it worked very well for me. From what I know it is a strong drug, and I don't know the strength I had as I was on 2 others with it, but as I say I had very good results with it.

With the combination of the 3 drugs I was quite ill from my treatments, but that doesn't mean you will be. You say the are doing a low dose which is good. I believe in my case it was the combination of the 3 drugs and also my treatments were for 5 days in a row every 3 weeks, so I had a lot of chemo over a short period of time which magnified my side effects. But as I say it worked well, and I am in remission, and doing just fine here 13 months after finishing treatment.

They have really good anti nausea drugs which are helpful and work great for the majority of people.

That article Cyd posted is very good Joanie and gives a good overview of it. The hospital or clinic probably have some literature on it as well that you can request.

I wish you all the best with your treatments, and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Keeping you in my thoughts as prayers!! Feel free to email me anytime as well.

Big hugs to ya!!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Cysplatin

HI JOANIE,

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RADIATION OR CHEMO BUT I DO WANT TO SEND YOU A

AND TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER. I'M SURE YOUR DOCTOR KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.

CHIN UP!!!
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Cysplatin

I recently read about using cisplatin along with radiation for cervical cancer. Apparently they are getting very good outcomes with it and it is a highly recommended course of treatment. I can't tell you anything other than that, but I want to wish you the best. I hope the side effects are easy on you. Let us know how you are getting along!

Unread 01-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Cysplatin

Hiya,

I had radiation for endometrial cancer. I do not have any expereince with cisplatin, but I do want to send off a to you and to let you know that I am sending over good vibes.
Valentina
Unread 01-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Cysplatin

{{Joanie}}

Sending you big 's for your upcoming treatments. I hope they will be easily tollerated and not too hard on you.

I don't have any experience with radiation, I did have chemo therapy, first with a Taxol/Carboplatin combination and then with Topotecan. I was given several anti-nausea meds that helped kept me from getting too ill feeling.

The main thing I do know about either treatment is that it is very important to eat and rest well during them. They can take a toll on your energy levels so anything you can do to help that will only aid you.

I wish you the best on your treatments and hope you will keep us posted when you can on how everything is going.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register