dealing with doctors | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dealing with doctors dealing with doctors

Unread 01-15-2002, 07:29 AM
dealing with doctors

Hi, all - scheduled Feb 4 for a complete house cleaning, TAH, and this site has been my "home". Have suffered for years with fibroids, the horrible cramps, bleeding - you know the story. I finally found a doctor that believed me and agreed to do the surgery. However, until I found him, no other doctor was willing to do it. Has anyone else had this problem of trying to "convince" their doctor that your life is spent in varying degrees of agony and embarassment? This phenomenon dawned on me when I broke down and cried when my lab reports came back and said I was not in menopause, meaning more periods and pain.
My doctor said "half of getting a hysterectomy is convincing the doctor - you just convinced me" as I sat there and blathered on about how I couldn't take it any more. If this were a gall bladder they'd have you admitted, cut, and sewn in no time. Why is it women have to "convince" someone? I do know my uterus is evil; they will have to shoot it with a silver bullet and drive a stake through it to make sure it's really dead. Thanks to all of you - a thousand blessings to each!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Welcome

Welcome to hystersisters! Sorry to hear that you had such a bad time convincing your dr. to beleive you. My experience was quite the opposite however. I went to a new gyn. because I had just moved to the area. She pinpointed my problem as aedeno almost immeditely, feel very luck. I was the one who put it off for a year until I had had enough Well thank goodness that is all behind you know and you can move on to preparing for your castle date. If you have not done so stop by chat and talk awhile if you have please come back and chat some time. Good Luck as you prepare yourself for Feb.4th.
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:26 AM
dealing with doctors

Moongirl,

I am schedule for a TAH on Feb.4 too. Your story sounds very familiar. Sorry you have had to go through all that so you could get the surgery. I have a history of heavy bleeding for years, fibroid, anemia. It's a pain to deal with. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. s to you.

Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 08:29 AM
dealing with doctors

I'm still getting use to working the smilies. Sorry I got the wrong one! :-)

Joan
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:48 AM
dealing with doctors

Glad you found this site. It has helped me so much. I was the opposite of you. I had all the same problems, but figured I was almost 50 so menopause would solve it all. Menopause wasn't coming though. All the drs I'd had for years wanted to do a hysterectomy. I was the one who wouldn't cooperate even though I was sure they would bury me with a box of kotex. Finally, a suspicious mass on my left ovary forced me to have surgery. Luckily all was benign.

I just want to say that I do a happy dance now every time I pass the personnal hygiene isle at the grocery store. I'm sure you will too. It's amazing how much time you have when you're not alway in the bathroom.
Good Luck. You're going to love your new life. JH
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Re: dealing with doctors

[quote]Originally posted by moongirl
[b]Has anyone else had this problem of trying to "convince" their doctor that your life is spent in varying degrees of agony and embarassment?

It wasn't my doctor I had to convince, it was the insurance company! I've been begging for this for years, and my GYN was willing to do the surgery, but the insurance company kept saying it wasn't "medically necessary". FINALLY, I have been diagnosed with something that can only be treated with a hysterectomy, but that almost wasn't good enough. However, after some initial hemming and hawing, and checking to see if there weren't still yet more procedures they could force me to endure, I am delighted to say that I finally received an authorization letter on Saturday. I was a VERY happy camper, and did the Snoopy Dance all over the living room =)

So of course I had a dream Saturday night where they put me under, and I woke up to someone tapping me on the shoulder only to find that I was all cut open but they couldn't proceed any further because the insurance company had called and cancelled their approval!

>I do know my uterus is evil; they will have to shoot it with a silver bullet and drive a stake through it to make sure it's really dead.

I hear you! I've already told my GYN that I want a snapshot of her depositing my uterus in the Hazardous Waste bin -- where it belongs. Only then am I going to believe that this ordeal is finally OVER.
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Yes, I understand what you went through ...

Hi Moongirl

Yes I too know that dealing with the DR's can be very frustrationg not to mention time consuming. I have had this enlarged uterus for well over 3 years; and a year and a half ago when they did the ultrasound they said it was large but they wanted to "watch it". Now a year and a half later I had a ultrasound and they say it is huge. Duh!! I could have told them that without the ultrasound. My opinion was that if I could just hold on till menopause that then it would shrink. I have worn pads for years now because of the pressure on the bladder fom this Fibroid and I will be so very thankful to a day when I don't have to wear a pad. I know that sometimes it's the insurance companies not wanting to pay but it is very frustrating when you feel like they aren't listening. I know that for me to get a Dr. to listen I had to say I had heavy bleeding but I don't. I do have many other problems because of the size of the Fibroid but sometimes unless you say what they are exspecting to hear then it's like they don't hear you. I have back pains and leg cramps, the pressure on the bladder (it is prolasped) and the bowels. Now I can : Febuary 18th they are going to remove this "huge" fibroid and they are also going to repair the bladder. Just a matter of waiting now. It is exciting to know that I wont wet my pants any more and that I can climb stairs with out squishing my bladder with each step. I wont have anymore BM accidents when I cough because of the pressure from the Fibroid, you want to die from the embarassment. That I can make love without the fibroid between us and that it wont hurt when my grand daughter crawls up onto my belly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register