Pros and cons of keeping cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pros and cons of keeping cervix? Pros and cons of keeping cervix?

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:13 AM
Pros and cons of keeping cervix?

Hi Im awaiting a test to determine if I should tie my bladder up
during my abdominal hyst. I can keep my ovaries but am not sure
if I should keep my cervix. I have several large fibroids and heavy bleeding and long periods. My doc. said sometimes women
have bleeding or spotting from keeping the cervix. I really don't
want any more bleeding. I would like to hear if any of you hyst
sisters have kept your cervix, and do you have spotting? Thanks
Im new and still learning my way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:24 AM
Hi and welcome!

I had mine removed, but didn't know about the bleeding at the time and am glad I did, but that is a decision you must make so keep reading and someone will be here that kept the cervix shortly and let you know. You also might want to post at the post-op site it might be more productive. God Bless and keep reading.
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:21 AM

Hi Sue, I kept my Cervix I had Fibroids with heavy bleeding and all that is gone now, I am 5 weeks post-op and did not have any bleeding at all. I have my 6wk post-op on next wed, hope to get released to get close to DH again.

Jocelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 10:36 AM
kept it

Am having minor (by minor I mean barely need a panty liner) brown spotting each month for about 24 to 48 hours max. This past month I only noticed a tinge on the tp once, so maybe its not going to happen anymore. No big deal in my opinion, but each person is different. Probably just psychological, but I'm glad I kept mine, but I'm only 16 weeks out and perhaps there is a more "experienced" sister out there who will respond on her experiences with SAH.

No pain or cramping, but I cetainly do notice PMS - but thats from keeping the ovaries.

If its healthy, its a personal decision you need to make with consultation with your physician. Even if the cervix is gone you still need annual screenings to be certain nothing unusual is going on.
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:59 PM

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. As you've heard, some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 01-16-2002, 09:22 AM

Hey sisters, I just wanted to give a shout out to all who
replied and say Thanks!! I appreciate hearing from women
whos been there.

sue
Unread 01-16-2002, 10:00 AM

I have kept my cervix and ovaries but am only in my 9th day post op.
My offered me the choice and I know about the possibility of mini periods and I am more than willing to have that after all the hemorrhaging.
I realize I'll still have to go for annual pap tests and what not, but he explained that keeping the cervix helps "hold everything up"
that's why I opted for it, the more parts I could keep the better, in my case anyways.
Unread 01-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Re: Pros and cons of keeping cervix

Okay girls, since I am still very new to these boards, this may sound like yet another dumb question. IF you don't keep your cervix -- do you still have to go have annual exams????? I see where some of you are talking about still having mini periods and still having the yearly exams if you KEEP your cervix. I had my complete hyst. 6 years ago this April and I don't recall mini periods but have always just assumed that I was to get a yearly exam as I wasn't told otherwise by my dr.

Thanks in advance!
Unread 01-16-2002, 12:36 PM
yes - annual exams regardless

The doc will (ok, SHOULD) still do a smear of the vaginal wall every year, still looking for the same abnormalites as before. Rare problems can occur.
Unread 01-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Re: Pros and cons of keeping cervix

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info. as that's the way I saw it as well. However, my dr. said I could come just once every 2 years and I said, NO WAY! I will stick to my yearly annual no matter how degrading it makes me feel! I do want to be alive for many years to come to see my children grow up and hopefully when they are about 30 or 40 yo - have grandchildren to play with! *LOL*

Okay -- another dumb question here is this: How do you know if you have your cervix or not? I guess I could ask my dr. this Friday when I go in for my bladder test, but I was just curious, as I had my complete hyst. 6 years ago and have no idea other than I had a complete hyst. I am assuming since I had a complete that my cervix was taken as well???? Is this accurate????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register