Hair Washing and no make-up! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Washing and no make-up! Hair Washing and no make-up!

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Hair Washing and no make-up!

What about washing your hair during the castle visit and after? I read that you cannot take a shower days after the operation, is this true?

I am worried enough that I am not allowed to wear any makeup the day of my operation! Besides the awful hospital gown, no makeup, and dirty hair, any suggestions to remedy this for a vanity princess during the hospital stay?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 10:07 AM
No help but eager to see responses

Sorry....I will be no help but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your concerns. I hate leaving the house without makeup and no shower??? I'll never survive! I want to say I have read castle stories where some were allowed to shower in the hospital so I am hoping that is the case! I will eagerly wait for responses to your question!
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:26 AM
dry hairspray

i can so relqate to this!
call me vain, but i hate to not have my hair clean, and rarely has anyone seen me w/out makeup lol
my surgery is tomorrow and my goodie bag is packed. my hairdresser gave me this great new DRY CLEAN ONLY shampoo by SEBASTIAN, i wasnt sure about a spray in shampoo, but i tried it the other day, and its not bad!!
i figured i can have the nurse or a friend, spray it in and rub my hair then comb. i have oily hair and it must be washed every day.
as for makeup, i brought concealer and blush, andmascara, i at least want the dark circles not to show!
i think if i feel like crap, as least i look a little better i may feel better!
anyways, hopefully you can find that dry shampoo, i think its a great idea my hairdresser had. now, lets see how long my roots hold out!
good luck!
and huge hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 10:41 AM

I showered before leaving for the hospital (my arrival time was 6:30am) and was permitted to shower the day after surgery. Just had to make sure the dressing over the staples was changed and dry. This was true of the two other abdominal surgeries I had 17 years ago.

Ask your doc to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that as soon as YOU are ready (upright, not woozy) that you will be permitted to shower.
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Hair washing and no make-up

I am now six weeks post-op, I too had concerns with no make-up the day of my surgery, especially since I work at the hospital where my surg. was done. Cover Girl has a clear mascara that accents your eyelashes with no color. I found this to be helpful, and I did apply the lightest touc of blush, not muy usual look, but it helped.
As for showering, the policy that I am familiar with is that you shower the day they remove the dressing, normally day 2. If you wash your hair the morning of your surg, your will not feel too bad by day 2.
I wish well with your surgery and have a speedy recovery, just do as you are told and no matter how good you feel, don't overdo it, listen to one that learned the hard way.
Take Care and God Bless.
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:30 AM

Hi!
I, too, was not thrilled at the idea of being seen in my natural state, and on the unclean side. My surgery was at 3:30 pm, so I was able to shower that morning. I had cut my hair pretty short the evening before my surgery so I wouldn't have to worry about washing and styling it very much. The day after surgery, it didn't look too bad. The following morning after that, I was able to shower and wash my hair, with the help of my sister. Some thoughtful soul had brought me a pretty nightgown to wear, and I had brought a pretty flowered robe. I knew I wouldn't feel like putting on my usual amount of make-up, nor smearing it all over the pillowcase, so I just wore a little powder and some lipstick. Ya never know when you might run into some hunky doctor in the hallways.

littlePT TAH/BSO 7-11-01 Large ovarian cysts and endo
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:38 AM

I had my surgury at 9 in the morning on wed and showered and washed my hair without even a nurse in the room at 7 the next morning. They urged me to get up and moving. They did tell me to wait until I had taken my pain medication and it had kicked in.
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:57 AM
not to throw a wrench in, but

Hi sisters,
I was a dirty princess in the castle. GASP!! :tongue2: Yes, I was not allowed to shower even on day 5. The doc said he was afraid I'd faint in the shower. They do have these wipes that reminded me of baby wipes, that are warmed in the microwave for washing. It was better than nothing, that's for sure. The dry shampoo sounds like a wonderful suggestion, just in case it's needed. I left that evening and planned on a shower and hair washing as soon as I reached home. Problem was the trip wore me out. So first thing the next morning I showered. It was heavenly.

Wilma
Unread 01-15-2002, 01:07 PM
nobody told me not to

Gals,

I wore blush and concealer to the OR (and polish on my nails and toes). No one said a word. I didn't wear eye stuff or lipstick because I thought it would smear. My husband is a doc at the hospital and I had a LOT of folks stopping by in preop. I also waxed my legs .

My surgery (a TAH/BSO) was at 2 in the afternoon (was to be at 5 but someone cancelled) and I was in the shower before 8 the next morning. The resident physician came to visit me after and she helped me put on a bit of makeup. My kids were coming to visit and I didn't want to scare them.

I didn't get my hair touched up though. I was afraid I would have cancer and need chemo and then the touch up would be a waste (or so my twisted mind thought at the time).

For many of us, the better we look, the better we feel, so go for it.
Unread 01-15-2002, 01:20 PM

My surgery's tomorrow at 11:30 and I have to be there at 9:30. I plan to shower and wash and blowdry my hair, but go in with no makeup and glasses. (I usually wear contacts.) I'll take some makeup if I feel like sprucing up the next day. Friends have told me I should be able to wash my hair on day 2. My hair is oily too, and I have to shampoo every day.
Georgia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register